Prebuilt PVR (UK)

Hey guys,

Hope this is in the right section.

I've been looking for a PVR for the last few days for my TV. From what i've seen so far most of these are extremley expensive (?500+) so I was wondering if there were any cheaper ones (?100 ~ ?200 price range). These are the things that needs/b> to have:

1. Record from normal TV (CH1 - 6)

2. Record from cable TV (Programmed to Channel 6)

3. 40GB+ preferrably 80gb.

It also doesnt need to have a DVD player built into it.

If it has ethernet ports that would also be a plus.

I saw a couple of models, but am unsure about them.

The first one i found was this, the HUMAX PVR8000T/80. However, i am unsure if this will be able to record off cable TV?

This one looks quite interesting but again i am unsure if I would be able to record all the channels I want to on it.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what to get, or any other models which are in my price range that would be able to do what i want?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

That DK Digital box looks like it would do what you want, but in that price range, I'm not sure how well it'll work. Most PVRs are loaded with features, but have problems with how they actually work. To record cable, you'd have to use one of those "magic eye" things, which (in my opinion) are a poor solution. You won't get an EPG on that box either.

To get a capable box, you really need to either spend more money, or make a compromise.

I've been looking into PVRs, and have decided to go with this one. It's Freeview only (but that's all I watch) but it's got twin tuners, a really good interface, and is one of the most, if not the most, stable box on the market.

You can record two channels at once and watch one you've recorded, or in my case, as I've got an IDTV, I'll be able to watch a third with the built in tuner.

Oh, and that Humax box is Freeview only I believe. (although it's got a few problems)

That DK Digital box looks like it would do what you want, but in that price range, I'm not sure how well it'll work. Most PVRs are loaded with features, but have problems with how they actually work. To record cable, you'd have to use one of those "magic eye" things, which (in my opinion) are a poor solution. You won't get an EPG on that box either.

To get a capable box, you really need to either spend more money, or make a compromise.

I've been looking into PVRs, and have decided to go with this one. It's Freeview only (but that's all I watch) but it's got twin tuners, a really good interface, and is one of the most, if not the most, stable box on the market.

You can record two channels at once and watch one you've recorded, or in my case, as I've got an IDTV, I'll be able to watch a third with the built in tuner.

Oh, and that Humax box is Freeview only I believe. (although it's got a few problems)

585697251[/snapback]

Ah, this was also a box i was looking at. I was hoping with the cable (as it has a coaxial input going into the TV, both the cable and arial cables being merged into one) I would simply be able to plug it into the recorder?

I may be able to stretch to buying that model, however I need to be able to know if it will record terrestrial TV and whatever is selected on the cable box.

Ah, this was also a box i was looking at. I was hoping with the cable (as it has a coaxial input going into the TV, both the cable and arial cables being merged into one) I would simply be able to plug it into the recorder?

I may be able to stretch to buying that model, however I need to be able to know if it will record terrestrial TV and whatever is selected on the cable box.

585697280[/snapback]

It does say it's got an antennae in on the connections at the back, but I don't know if it can actually record that or if it just gets passed through the box.