TV for Bedroom

I've been really looking into getting a new TV For my room. i currently have a Panasonic 27 inch regular TV. It's flat CRT. Good picture only a year old, but, I want something bigger and for sure in High Def.

I REALLY want a 42 inch plasma, but I know I cannot afford it.. So I'm looking into my next option.. A 50 inch projection either DLP or LCD.

Would this be too big for a bedroom? My room is like 11 X 11 or so.

I just started getting into building a media center PC, and it's impossable to use without a bigger TV and without HD.

Any advice? I thought about maybe a 32 inch regular (not widescreen) HDTV CRT.. but I just don't think that would be big enough.

Samsung HL-P4663W (DLP) would probably be the best since it has bottom speakers so it's a conservative 46" set. Anything more may be a bit big.

moved to home theather forum

all the tv's mentioned are excellent tvs. I'm a tv buff and rarely see so many excellent tv brands suggested at once. Sony, Panasonic, Samsung...have the best pics and features.

Thats a big ass tv for an 11x11 room...haha. I wouldn't complain though :)

I see nowhere does he specify that he wants a wide screen ??

I recomended that as a 32" option.Cause he said he might get a 32" crt.

585712539[/snapback]

HD on a 4:3 set is a waste of screen space since you will get letter boxing.

• 2 weeks later...

In my bedroom I have got Roast Beef and a Infocus X1 with a 92" 16:9 Projection Screen this works ****ing awesome dude. People say OMG dont get a Projector for your bedroom are you out of your ****ing mind your losing it man what a waste normal people dont do it do you know anyone else with a damn projector in there bedroom but you just have to stick up for yourself man you just have to stick it to the man and tell them you better not, you better not and go get that damn projector because im telling you if a projector is where your heart lies then nothing else can be a satisfactory subsitute that is when you crave a projector nothing else will sacrment now go on man and get your projector and good look with that.

In my bedroom I have got Roast Beef and a Infocus X1 with a 92" 16:9 Projection Screen this works ****ing awesome dude. People say OMG dont get a Projector for your bedroom are you out of your ****ing mind your losing it man what a waste normal people dont do it do you know anyone else with a damn projector in there bedroom but you just have to stick up for yourself man you just have to stick it to the man and tell them you better not, you better not and go get that damn projector because im telling you if a projector is where your heart lies then nothing else can be a satisfactory subsitute that is when you crave a projector nothing else will sacrment now go on man and get your projector and good look with that.

585759971[/snapback]

geez. stick it to the man by getting a projector? right.

In a room with a lot of windows, which bedrooms usually have, a projector would be a terrible idea.

585759971[/snapback]

lol.

I seen a Phillips TV at work for $1194. It's 52 inch projection wide screen. It's HDTV, no built in tuner, but that's okay.. don't mind it. DVI input which I really like.

With my discount, I should be able to pick it up for around $1075... After taxes I'll take it home for $1145.. Not too shabby.

I "could" go around and buy the one on display.. That would knock off another $150 so I would get it for just under $1000, but you never know how long the floor model has been on :-\

Just a heads up, you may want to start looking for a TV with HDMI instead of DVI. This year's components seem to be heavily leaning towards HDMI now.

585759971[/snapback]

<CR><CR><CR><CR><CR><CR>

You left your carrage returns in front of my house, please claim them.

Despite the many things wrong with se7en.hu's post :-) I'm totally with him. However it never occured to me that <i>anyone</i> would say there's anything wrong with a projector in a bedroom.

I have an older projector with a VGA input that I got for cheap (certainly cheaper than any mid- to large-size TV) and can "only" do 800x600, but considering I don't even have an HD feed, 720p or 1080i isn't something I'm missing out on because of my projector. DVDs playing from my PC look just fine. Plus, playing games with a screen 8 feet across is pretty sweet, despite the resolution.

I already have 4 monitors hooked up to my main PC; there's no way I could fit a large TV in the room. The projector itself hardly takes any more room than a printer.

As for windows, well, I don't care--if it's broad daylight outside, I'm either at work or doing <i>anything</i> but sitting on my ass and watching TV.

Hell yea brah! Dude seriously look into the Infocus X1 (Y) cheap and awesome 2000:1 contrast ratio has 1100ANSI Lumens native reso 800x600 max 1024x768 works frucking awesome in my bedroom and we got on downstairs too in the lounge and there it is bright during the day and it is still perfect except for if the feature is very dark eg. something like Pitch Black then it would suck because projectors off course cannot project black so the black will be the color of the screen and it all really sucks but usually everything I watch during the day is bright and is perfect as in or I just close the damn blinds it not hard man this Infocus X1 is also a DLP projector not sure you know what that means but it is a Digital Light Processing meaning that is contains a Optical Semiconuctor or a DMD (Digital Micromirror Device) that houses millions upon millions of tiny mirrors that are then flicked to an on or off position by the use of electrons its color comes from a color wheel in which case the X1 has got a 5 color color wheel has got like RGB Red green blue white and something else which spins at like something geez ok look its been a while since i researched this stuff so it kind of slipped out of my mind but yea DLP KICKS ASS thats one thing i remember better then CRT Cathode Ray Tube and even LCD Liquid Crystal Display because CRT projectors are freaking huge and LCD ones suck balls. Hope I have inspired your life in some way but unfortunatly I must now part ways and go my own direction I hope you find what you desire man GOOD LUCK!

I'd LOVE to have a projector.. They are fairly cheap, small, and everything...

The Infocus X1 is deffennly in my budget.. However, One problem that bothers me is... Blubs are expensive and don't last long. If I had one I'd be using it 8+ hours a day.

I'd rather have this over a projection TV.. but it's the price of the bulbs that keep me away.

Well ok look Rear Projection TV's bulbs usually will go for about 10000 hours (that would be a CRT rear projection too I dont know about the LCD or DLP rear projections but I would think they should be close to the same) so that would last you 416 days turned on 24/7 now the infocus x1 has got a 4000 hour lamp life which would last you 166 days turned on 24/7 however if you keep the lamp housing filters and such clean from dust many many people have said they have been able to get up to 6000 hours which is great look to look at it in a real life situation the one in my room I use heaps ok for my computer watching movies foxtel digital everything ok so it is on heaps like most of the day now I dont know how it counts the hours but it is obviously off by some amount as i am currently on ~800 hours and I have had it about 1 1/2 years actually closer to 2 years so I think it is extrememly kick ass and the one downstairs in my house gets used even more as that is the main home theatre one gets used pretty much the whole day and that is on 1200 hours out of a guarenteed 4000 hours or possible 6000 hours so we are extrememly happy with it now my brother has one in his bedroom to and he uses it for movies only watches about 2 movies a week maybe 3 and his is on ~200 hours he has had it for the same time as me so you can see man these things last for frucking ages. Also lamps are not expensive man AU$140 for the infocus x1 lamp which by me if frucking cheap as you have to take into acount the price you would have to spend on a rear projection tv to compare with the infocus x1 in terms of image quality you have have to get DLP rear projection which is frucking expensive so say AU$5000 on a DLP rear projection and AU$1000 on a infocus x1 now imagine how many lamps you could buy for the x1 to make the price up to how much you would have spend on a rear projection look I cant be bothered typing anymore as it is a beautiful day and I am off to be so I will just eave you with this website I used alot in my researching days

Projecor Central

There they used to have like Rear Projection vs. Front Projection vs. etc etc. and alot of other guides ideas reveiws etc. Hope that helps now if you dont mind;

CYA LATER I AM OF TO THE BEACH WOOOHOOOO!!

dlp's/lcd projo's generally give 6,000 - 8,000 hour lifespan.

585767811[/snapback]

thanks bud wasnt sure about that one.

So you see mr. M1Kel or whatever get the damn projector like I said in my first post :p

I'm going to look into this, It seems the infocus is just about the same price, maybe even a little cheaper than the projection TV I was lookin at.

I'm just worried where I would put the projector and screen. I have stuff on every wall in my room, but I think I could manange to pull something off.

Ok and what type of display technology does that rear projection use? Because you have to remember to compare with the x1's frucking awesome image quality you need to purchase a DLP rear projection which is in the big bucks put the projection screen where you were going to put the rear projection those things take up a heap of room and amm i more thing before i go the x1 has zoom so you can make the image size perfect for your room etc.

Another thing I really like is.. I can basicly "hide" my TV when I want to.. All I have to do is put the white board away when I'm not using it. I always keep my room dark. I sleep during the day sooo. Plus I only have 1 window, and it has a AC in it.

Just have to figure it out.

The only place I know to put the projector is on the little night stand next to my bed. It would hit right into my large closest, so I'll have to get a white board of some sort.

Seems like your ignoring my posts but ey what color is your wall or closet or whatever? If it is close enough to white like an off white or a light color you can usually just use that with no screen so yea projecting into the wall is sometimes fine and no extra cost or if you want to go into the trouble of getting a screen dont get a board get a screen if that is too expensive buy the material and stick it on your wall because; projection material contains like different elements for different display technoogies I know that LCD is better if you have glass beaded screens others for others and such look i said before i forgot this look it up on the projectorcentral site I said.