Win XP Pro x64 Edition RTM: First Impressions

Lets explore the origins of Windows XP Professional x64 Edition. It is based on the solid foundation of Windows Server 2003 (SP1), which in turn, is based on Windows XP. Windows XP is Windows NT Version 5.1, Windows Server 2003 is Windows NT 5.2, and Windows XP Professional x64 Edition is also Windows NT 5.2. What does this mean? You'll have all the great features of Windows XP running on the even more reliable and performance-tuned Windows Server 2003 base.

The target for my installation was my eMachines M6809 laptop. It has an AMD Mobile Althon 64 3200+ Processor, 768mb of RAM, ATI Mobility Radeon 9600, 15.4" Widescreen LCD, 80gb Hard Disk, DVD+/-RW Drive, Broadcom 802.11g WiFi, an integrated modem and integrated 10/100 ethernet.

Installing XP Professional x64 Edition went very smoothly, and is exactly how you would install 32-bit Windows XP when booting off the CD. Note, you can't install any Windows x64 operating system from within 32-bit Windows (although it will run through 64-bit Windows).

For those screenshot lovers out there, there are screenshot's at the end of the article!

Continue Reading, at Extended64.com.

eh?

Interesting article Ryan - but not really any news... Still waiting to get my hands on this somehow (yet legally)

eh?

Interesting article Ryan - but not really any news... Still waiting to get my hands on this somehow (yet legally)

585739839[/snapback]

Same here. It is an interesting article but there is nothing breath-taking inside it.

To quote 'Claudia' in 'Interview with a Vampire',

I want some more!

What about running the Sciencemark benchamrks ? http://www.sciencemark.org/

... Still waiting to get my hands on this somehow (yet legally)

585739839[/snapback]

From what I understand, if you have a copy of Windows XP Professional, you'll get a free copy of this :unsure: Don't quote me though :D

[EDIT] A little while ago I downloaded what I thought was RC2 from MSDN and found out that it was RTM instead. Just to be sure I wasn't reading something wrong I checked with Tom to confirm that it was infact the final version. So if you have MSDN Operating Systems Subscription or higher, you can go download the final version of Windows XP x64 ;) http://msdn.microsoft.com

Edited by Hurmoth

A little while ago I downloaded what I thought was RC2 from MSDN and found out that it was RTM instead. Just to be sure I wasn't reading something wrong I checked with Tom to confirm that it was infact the final version. So if you have MSDN Operating Systems Subscription or higher, you can go download the final version of Windows XP x64 ;) http://msdn.microsoft.com

585739984[/snapback]

Was posted on my site when it was made available :yes:

Is there actually any point in this Thread?

585740267[/snapback]

I can see the point of the thread, but I certainly wouldn't classify it as news.

Im going to wait until the officail WinHEC announcemnt to install it. That is when all of the hardware venders will be releaseing 64bit drivers.

So it should be in store by end of april beginning of may?

585744787[/snapback]

Not 100% sure about this, but I don't think it will be sold in the normal retail store. Probably something you'll have to buy from Microsoft's online partners.

Supposedly, it will only be available as an OEM product for a while due to the current lack of drivers for it. Can you imagine a typical n00b getting it, and trying to install it only to find that driver support (as well as app support) was beta level at best?

I put it on my box (legally through MSDN) and I was quite impressed at how well it worked, especially by the 64-bit IE. I HATE IE with a passion generally, but it worked very quickly and seemed quite stable.

do we need to be subscribed to msdn to download the RTM?

585745089[/snapback]

Yes, you have to have the Operating System's subscription or higher to get Windows XP Professional x64.

Also, does any of you installed it and able to run HL2 or CS:S ?

585745089[/snapback]

Yes, I have install Steam and all of the available games and as far as I can tell they work just fine.

As for driver support. Most drivers, even in beta work just fine without any problems (at least they did for me). The problem is not drivers anymore, the problem is lack of 64-bit programs.

Edited by Hurmoth

Yes, you have to have the Operating System's subscription or higher to get Windows XP Professional x64.

Yes, I have install Steam and all of the available games and as far as I can tell they work just fine.

As for driver support. Most drivers, even in beta work just fine without any problems (at least they did for me). The problem is not drivers anymore, the problem is lack of 64-bit programs.

585745157[/snapback]

Perfect, I'll wait untill they release in store then