whats the deal with plasmas?

So I hear all these people bitching about burn-ins on their plasmas... I'm wondering is their any good plasmas out their that dont burn in at all, or atlease as much as others? I doubt a plasma would be good in my house, since the tv is on for 18/24 hours of the day... Are they working on trying to fix the burn in problem for the "next gen" plasma tvs? I mean I would get an lcd, but there like 3x more then the same size plasma...

help me?

thnx :)

So I hear all these people bitching about burn-ins on their plasmas... I'm wondering is their any good plasmas out their that dont burn in at all, or atlease as much as others? I doubt a plasma would be good in my house, since the tv is on for 18/24 hours of the day... Are they working on trying to fix the burn in problem for the "next gen" plasma tvs? I mean I would get an lcd, but there like 3x more then the same size plasma...

help me?

585751596[/snapback]

TV on for that amout of time is fine.

Its Static images, If the image stays the same for 5-6 days it will burn in.

yup... static images like playing video games, or the logo box in the right hand corner that we all hate...

585751667[/snapback]

the image actually burns into the plastic? Is their anyway to un-burn, like turn off* your tv for 2 weeks or something?

help me?

585751596[/snapback]

actually new plasmas have a new technology in them to help prevent burn-ins... its called orbital pixel technology... it increases life of plasma drastically... i've had a plasma for about a year now and have no experienced a single bit of burn in yet with this tech... the old plasma i had with out it experienced some of it... the way they run the screens now they take over a few hours of constant steady image or brighter in one area then another to cause a plasma to burn in when you have this tech in your screen. before it took about an hour to durn in a steady image

:huh:

585751872[/snapback]

that pick says under 7". and he wants to hang it on his wall. could u imagine having something sticking 7" off your wall, plus im sure it would be too heavy to hang.

actually new plasmas have a new technology in them to help prevent burn-ins... its called orbital pixel technology... it increases life of plasma drastically... i've had a plasma for about a year now and have no experienced a single bit of burn in yet with this tech... the old plasma i had with out it experienced some of it... the way they run the screens now they take over a few hours of constant steady image or brighter in one area then another to cause a plasma to burn in when you have this tech in your screen. before it took about an hour to durn in a steady image

585751737[/snapback]

thnx for the info... i'd hate to have my dad burn in the sci fi channel logo into our new plasma... who makes the best plasmas? phillips, sony?

that pick says under 7". and he wants to hang it on his wall. could u imagine having something sticking 7" off your wall, plus im sure it would be too heavy to hang.

585751878[/snapback]

LOLLLLLL, it would rip righ through my cheap ass wall... the big thing for me is to *hang* it, i dont have alot of room here...

thnx for the info... i'd hate to have my dad burn in the sci fi channel logo into our new plasma... who makes the best plasmas? phillips, sony?

585751919[/snapback]

I know some people will say no way, but Phillips for me has been the most reliable interms of picture quality over time and durability

the image actually burns into the plastic? Is their anyway to un-burn, like turn off* your tv for 2 weeks or something?

585751691[/snapback]

no the image burns the phospurs (spelling) that's behind the plastic we look thru.. (i think or maybe that's just how CRTs have it done) You can't un-burn it, once it's done might as well throw the tv out (if it's severe) if it's like a logo in the bottom right then that's not too bad but if it's like a video game image that was paused for couple hrs then yeah... that's done for!

well its not plastic...its glass ;) but the gas between the sheets of glass becomes "dead" in the sense kinda like a dead pixel on an LCD...

i have a Sony plasma...and let me tell you it rocks...i rock with my ###### out lets say ;)

If you have the $$ go Sony..its top class quality TV mine is simply awesome.

www.hemphillmafia.com/users/wsm14/tv.jpg

there's a pic if you want to see it - you must ignore the walls at the time of picture i was decoarting...im now planning on wall mounting this bad boy :)

ive had wega, lcd, plasma and projector.

I currently have an Infocus X2 DLP projector. I watch Sky, Play games,

watch DVDs etc all through this projector.

Due to the brightness of the lamp inside this projector it is visible in a well lit

room so i didnt need to darken the light out.

It projects a 100 inch image onto my cream colored wall.

IMHO I would recommend projectors over plasma, lcd etc anyday.

Beleive me, once youve tried a projector you wont go back to anything else.

I picked mine up for GBP 550.00 just before Xmas 2004.

It really is a dream to watch. All my friends and family are now in the process of

investigating a projector for there homes.

no the image burns the phospurs (spelling) that's behind the plastic we look thru.. (i think or maybe that's just how CRTs have it done) You can't un-burn it, once it's done might as well throw the tv out (if it's severe) if it's like a logo in the bottom right then that's not too bad but if it's like a video game image that was paused for couple hrs then yeah... that's done for!

585753833[/snapback]

actually there is plasma conditioning now that will remove some of the burn-in, downfall to it though, it graduatlly decreases the max contrast of the screen the more you use it

That orbital stuff really won't help burn-in all that much from what I've heard. Supposedly it just makes the burn-in area larger since it only moves the pixel a pixel or so at a time. Thus, the phosphors in that area are still basically displaying a still image only in a smeared area (maybe it helps the phosphors on the very egde of the image, but the phosphors in the middle of the image never get a break). Maybe you experience less burn-in on your newer plasma for the sole reason that it is newer, and has improved technology. Although I am going on what others have told me about the orbital feature (I have no personal experience with it). Also, as for plasma brands panasonic, pioneer, hitachi, and fujitsu come to mind as the top manufacturers in terms of image quality. Also, I wouldn't buy a plasma for playing videogames right now. I've heard about image retention (not permanent burn-in since it goes away while watching other content) of the energy bars in halo 2 after only an hour of play (this was on the first day the guy owned the plasma. Plasmas are MUCH more susceptible to burn-in in the first 200 hours of viewing. There is a process for conditioning your plasma, lol. It's like buying a child that needs to be nurtured). Also, 4:3 viewing on a plasma (most games since there are few 16:9 ones, and 4:3 stretched is especially awful in games) is not a good idea. If you want to play lots of games go for a nice dlp :). The new 1080p 50" 78 series dlp from samsung looks like its gonna be pretty sweet.

That orbital stuff really won't help burn-in all that much from what I've heard.  Supposedly it just makes the burn-in area larger since it only moves the pixel a pixel or so at a time.  Thus, the phosphors in that area are still basically displaying a still image only in a smeared area (maybe it helps the phosphors on the very egde of the image, but the phosphors in the middle of the image never get a break).  Maybe you experience less burn-in on your newer plasma for the sole reason that it is newer, and has improved technology.  Although I am going on what others have told me about the orbital feature (I have no personal experience with it).  Also, as for plasma brands panasonic, pioneer, hitachi, and fujitsu come to mind as the top manufacturers in terms of image quality.  Also, I wouldn't buy a plasma for playing videogames right now.  I've heard about image retention (not permanent burn-in since it goes away while watching other content) of the energy bars in halo 2 after only an hour of play (this was on the first day the guy owned the plasma.  Plasmas are MUCH more susceptible to burn-in in the first 200 hours of viewing.  There is a process for conditioning your plasma, lol.  It's like buying a child that needs to be nurtured).  Also, 4:3 viewing on a plasma (most games since there are few 16:9 ones, and 4:3 stretched is especially awful in games) is not a good idea.  If you want to play lots of games go for a nice dlp :).  The new 1080p 50" 78 series dlp from samsung looks like its gonna be pretty sweet.

585755548[/snapback]

have had my plasma screen for a about a year now (the new one) and play halo 2 on it constantly, its never retained an image or burned in yet. and it gets a lot of game play. But then I also did follow the pre-burn in recomendations... you know only watch it in full wide screen mode (streatch 4:3 images to wide screen) for the first 100 hours of usage, and then the next 500+ hours use a lower contrast and try to keep the image moving... its the best thing to do with plasma is to precondition it by doing that.. it really helps against burnin with brand new screens

Easy solution to burn in on a plasma is to display a pure white screen for a few hours - overnight is best and what you do is you burn in a blank image, it works very well with most manufacturers, downfall is you loose life in the tv but when youve got a burned in image the tvs ****e so you might as well use this trick.

have had my plasma screen for a about a year now (the new one) and play halo 2 on it constantly, its never retained an image or burned in yet. and it gets a lot of game play. But then I also did follow the pre-burn in recomendations... you know only watch it in full wide screen mode (streatch 4:3 images to wide screen) for the first 100 hours of usage, and then the next 500+ hours use a lower contrast and try to keep the image moving... its the best thing to do with plasma is to precondition it by doing that.. it really helps against burnin with brand new screens

585755742[/snapback]

Do you know if having grey on the side of the 4:3 cropped image (when it isn't stretched) eliminates the uneven aging of the phosphors that occurs when having black borders on 4:3 content. If it doesn't then isn't it best to stretch everything that is 4:3 even after the initial 200 hour period? I hate it when a plasma is brighter on the edges because of greater wear on the center of the screen from people retaining the original 4:3 aspect ratio with black borders, so it would be great if another color like grey would wear the screen evenly. Anyone know anything about this?

Do you know if having grey on the side of the 4:3 cropped image (when it isn't stretched) eliminates the uneven aging of the phosphors that occurs when having black borders on 4:3 content.  If it doesn't then isn't it best to stretch everything that is 4:3 even after the initial 200 hour period?  I hate it when a plasma is brighter on the edges because of greater wear on the center of the screen from people retaining the original 4:3 aspect ratio with black borders, so it would be great if another color like grey would wear the screen evenly.  Anyone know anything about this?

585756124[/snapback]

not really sure, i suppose that since it isnt pure black it will help burn in rates as opposed to a image to black would... but they suggest to watch everything in widescreen... streatch 4:3 to 16:9 for the first 1000 hours of usage, which helps the initial burn in... but i'd never suggest leaveing the screen in 4:3 ever though, just having a steady color there to me is kind of a scarry thing as opposed to a constant moving image in the center