The Official Mac OS X "Tiger" Thread

Is it expected to change? Like how "Luna" for Windows XP was announced?

Or will it be currently like Panther with a few visual modifications?

Radish?

for wat ive seen..its like panther...with some mods...nothing dramatic..but again..im talkin from a leak...maybe apple put up some fancy stuff on the final..but they don usually do that stuff..so yap!

my 2 cents

the menu bar has a plastic-ey look to it....

the metal is more brushed (imo)

"normal" windows look the same pretty much...

It'd be easier to show screenshots, but i cant. Keep waiting for the 15th. Tiger looks pretty f-in sweet :D

I really hope the fix the ugly toolbar in Mail. :( Anyway in Tiger there would be 5 interfaces, Aqua, Metal, 'Plastic', Pro Interface, and Dashboard apps. I think the 'plastic' doesn't fit. :p

At this point, the interface isn't set in stone, and won't be until the gold build comes out. From what I have read, some of the ui (not sure how much) is just a placeholder for the final look.

At this point, the interface isn't set in stone, and won't be until the gold build comes out.? From what I have read, some of the ui (not sure how much) is just a placeholder for the final look.

585689282[/snapback]

Yup. Heard/read the same thing.:))

The copy and info screens are just white without any stripes with an Aqua caption bar. Mail is Plastic (Aqua when in the background), System Prefs and Help is a mix of Aqua and Plastic, the Finder windows are still the same as in Panther (Brushed) and the Menubar has a weird plastic thing going on different from the one Mail uses.

The current Tiger ui isn't consistant at all.:xx

The UI will remain for most part the same options buttons in the main op will remain in the same position with the same name most changes will come in application/utilitys bundled with the operating system such as Mail 2.0 with its plastic theme.

Most of what has changed between Tiger & Panther is back end fixes new code tools spotlight integration with the core more network and system compatibility and performance improvements (better loading times etc).

The upgrade is not such a milestone like panther was its more of perfecting on all there work preceding this release, I'm looking forward to installing the final retail version.

The UI will remain for most part the same options buttons in the main op will remain in the same position with the same name most changes will come in application/utilitys bundled with the operating system such as Mail 2.0 with its plastic theme.

585690269[/snapback]

What's "the main op"?

What's "the main op"?

585690296[/snapback]

sorry I meant the operating system the main thing without any of the extras without safari without mail without all the bundled software. :)

sorry I meant the operating system the main thing without any of the extras without safari without mail without all the bundled software. :)

585690305[/snapback]

Ah okay. :)

It's safe to assume Apple will polish it up not sure if the changes are shocking though.

Plastic is part of Aqua.

The only problem I have with the buttons in Mail is that they don't show up anywhere else in the system. Will all Plastic/Aqua apps have these buttons in the future?

The upgrade is not such a milestone like panther was its more of perfecting on all there work preceding this release, I'm looking forward to installing the final retail version.

585690269[/snapback]

You're one of the first people I've ever heard say Tiger isn't a bigger release than Panther. From everything Apple has shown us, Panther to Tiger will be a much larger jump than Jaguar to Panther.

You're one of the first people I've ever heard say Tiger isn't a bigger release than Panther.  From everything Apple has shown us, Panther to Tiger will be a much larger jump than Jaguar to Panther.

585692621[/snapback]

what makes it such a milestone to you? .. spotlight? widgets? automator? or maybe all 3?

I'd say the UI is pretty much final, Unless its changed from 8a393 which is possible. But, tiger's just released "final candidate stage" So, it could change... but I doubt it.

Chad, where did you get the info about the interface being a placeholder?

Radish?