progressive scan or interlace?

sup peeps,

I am looking to getting a 50" HDTV w/ HD turner built-in. I was wondering what you guys think about the progressive scan and interlace? there's like the 480i, 708i, and 1040p (?) ?

I need a new TV to replace my current 27" tube which I have owned since 1996. Most of my movies are 16:9 ratio but I wasn't sure if I should get a 'p' or 'i' tv. anyways, inputs would be great.

Thanks.

Progressive scan will give you a better picture. It reads all the lines at once instead of the odd lines then the even lines and then aliugning them like interlacing does.

Indeed go for progressive scan bud in the format of (lines eg.1080)(p or i progressive or interlaced) amm yea as bangbang023 said above me that the interlaced what it will infact do is draw the lines like this 1, 3, 5 etc then go back and draw 2, 4, 6 etc. Whereas with the progressive it will draw the lines in a sequence like 1,2,3,4,5,6 etc. Overall giving you a better clearer picture with no jagged edges etc. You really have to see progressive scan in action to see the difference but there is one and it kicks ass! Good luck! :D

how does progressive scan effects older movies that are still on cassette tapes? I still got movies like Street Figthers: The motion picture and Fatal Fury that requires a VCR. Will the pictures look like crap or will it have good quality?

What about playing dvds on a non-progressive dvds to a progressive hdtv, what's the quality like on that?

huh? :huh: Sorry I dont understand what you are saying your display device supports p and i so with those cassets it will play them in interlaced the picture will look like **** because it is a casset but there is nothing you can do about that playing dvds on a dvd player that does not support progressive scan would play them in an interlaced format (Y) Is this what you wanted please feel free to ask anymore questions :p

Might also add because i am bored :p use component cables if you wish to use progressive scan and they will be the only cables that support progressive scan, also they are superior to others specially on you 50" DLP (Y) Because component carries 3 signals Pr Pb and Y in other words Red, Blue and Luminence the rest gets filled in green, this gives you kick ass color seperaation and definition better then s-video (4-pin) because this only carries 2 signals Luminence and RGB in the other signal giving less quality then the worst is composite giving you all signals in one cable the noise added is really bad do not use this whatever you do honestly the difference between composite and s-vid or component in HUGE! difference between s-vid and component is not much but you will need component if you wish to use progressive scan and then there will be a HUGE difference again otherwise not (Y) Hope i helped you buddy!!!!!!! :D

Edited by se7en.hu

yup that helped se7en. now I just need to figure out which is the best plasma hdtv out there. I read panasonic is the best, but I have seen pineeors that's pretty good as well.

Yea well cant help you there with plasmas all I know is that NEC is sposed to be great maybe you can look into that too? Sorry if it were Front Projection in question I could you you out alot more :p

Oh and check out here http://projectorcentral.com I learnt alot of my knowledge from there also you can probably find reveiws for plasmas and help there etc. Good Luck bud (Y)

This is a link I found it is a link off the site i posted above but just incase you dont see it on the page above here is a direct link http://www.hdtvsolutions.com/ it must be a new section and should be more relevence to you (Y)

• 3 weeks later...

In terms of watching tv in progressive, that will only be possible if your cable or satellite provider broadcasts in progressive hdtv. In terms of DVD, it will only work if your DVD player supports it. HD in interlaced won't be a problem, but progressive through cable or satellite requires more bandwidth and a lot of providers don't have the capability to push that much bandwidth through.

You want to buy a screen capable of displaying BOTH 720p and 1080i if at all possible. That way, you can view HD content regardless of which format it is in.

720p is the preferred display mode for computer and video game output. Both 720p and 1080i will offer an outstanding picture. The problem is that many TVs don't support 720p, just 1080i. However, the situation has improved a lot recently. You should be able to find plenty of good displays that support both.

You want to buy a screen capable of displaying BOTH 720p and 1080i if at all possible.  That way, you can view HD content regardless of which format it is in.

720p is the preferred display mode for computer and video game output.  Both 720p and 1080i will offer an outstanding picture.  The problem is that many TVs don't support 720p, just 1080i.  However, the situation has improved a lot recently.  You should be able to find plenty of good displays that support both.

585927610[/snapback]

Careful with 720p, and do research before buying a set that supports it... Here is why:

http://www.hdblog.net/index.php/2005/05/02...-720p-not-720p/

Careful with 720p, and do research before buying a set that supports it... Here is why:

http://www.hdblog.net/index.php/2005/05/02...-720p-not-720p/

585927704[/snapback]

It all depends on what you want to do with the display, and how much you're willing to pay :)

Ideally, you could spring for a DLP that supports 1080p.

Otherwise, if your main interest is TV broadcasts, then a 1080i display that can accept 720p input might be your best bet. On the other hand, if you plan to connect a computer or Xbox/Xbox360/PS3/etc to it, you probably want a 720p display.