Dell 2405FPW UltraSharp Flat Panel Monitor

Hey guys, I also own a 2405 in conjunction with an nVidia 6800 Ultra.  For some reason, running at 1920x1200, there's a visible delay in redrawing the screen.

In other words, when you hit minimize on a maximized window for example, it's almost like you can see the wallpaper redrawing itself.  It's slow in that regard.

When I lower the resolution, it doesn't happen.

Does anyone else notice this?

585988802[/snapback]

Maybe it doesn't have enough DVI bandwidth to handle the resolution. I forget the exact numbers but I know that the DVI bandwidth on the 6800s (and many other nvidia cards) is lower than on ati cards or certain nvidia cards for that matter. I read that the lowered bandwidth was perfectly fine for 1600x1200, but maybe its not getting enough bandwidth to handle 1920x1200. Or maybe the drivers or windows did something crazy. If you have access to a non-nvidia card (or one that has the full dvi bandwidth, like I think the 6600gt) then maybe test the monitor on that. I wish I could find the article to get some definitive answers, but I am too lazy to search right now. It was on tom's hardware a while back. I have a hard time believing that even with lower badnwidth that it wouldn't have enough to draw the screen ontime, and if it does then that is kind of sad :(.

Dell UK are doing 25% off the 2405 soon, taking the price to ?800 and something, i forget now, i deleted the email from my account manager

post-3612-1117619139_thumb.jpg

you can clearly see the post-it notes keeping the monitor stable!

Edited by atpcz

It's fine for those of you who are wondering. Mine is very level and sturdy. I have no stability issues at all. Plus I don't use a cheap, flimsy table.

• 2 weeks later...

2 Day Sale!!! 25% OFF!!

Expires June 15th 2005.

CODE: LXPN5SJ1D?059F

SMALL BUSINESS SECTION!!

Price after Coupon

$899.25 Free Shipping + Tax.

Dell have just delivered a replacement for mine....but for some reason they delivered 2  :whistle:. gotta love their support  :)

586077741[/snapback]

Since you won't be needing two, how about mailing the other one over to me ;) I'm too tight to fork out for one! :p

dunno what i'm doing with it yet. i'm might leave it about a month before i do anything in case mr. dell say "oi, we want the other one back". then it might take a trip down ebay

dunno what i'm doing with it yet. i'm might leave it about a month before i do anything in case mr. dell say "oi, we want the other one back".  then it might take a trip down ebay

586077761[/snapback]

im almost positive they cant charge you for it, there is a law or something. Scam companies in the past would ship out products, then charge people for them, people would end up having to pay an outrageous amount because they didnt pay for this product that was shipped out to them unknowningly. I dont know what dell would have to do to require you to return it, they would have to pay for the shipping for the return in full of course, and if they ask you, dont forget to ask for a concession coupon (they would probably be willing to fork over $100 off any purchase) :ninja:

thanks for the info. i actually asked for a Radeon 850XT as compensation for the delay in delivery (was shceduled for mid august), but i didn't hear anything back. they've said that they'll bump the support on the monitor up to 3 years, which is good

Have had my two since the first week or so that they came out. MikeBuzz did me a deal ?800 for the both of them. Best displays I've worked with so far.

Have had my two since the first week or so that they came out. MikeBuzz did me a deal ?800 for the both of them. Best displays I've worked with so far.

586078857[/snapback]

dude I have a 2005 wfp and thats alot of screen space, 2- 2405 must be insane, I have a big room but you must hav alot >of real estate. as you can see w/ my PC specs I don't envy alot of people, but for you I will make an exception.

Edited by joeskow

2 2405FPW is 3800x1200?:blink::

4.56 Million Pixels.....?:blink:k:

586082161[/snapback]

yeah I just thought about that. even the best video card on the market can't handle that resolution, the x800 xt and 6800 ultra's max res is 2048x1536 @ 85hz. SOAP is your's running in dual display? if so what resoltion?

yeah I just thought about that. even the best video card on the market can't handle that resolution, the x800 xt and 6800 ultra's max res is 2048x1536 @ 85hz. SOAP is your's running in dual display? if so what resoltion?

586082198[/snapback]

the 30" apple cinema is 2560 x 1600

.. im almost postive that it is possible to have dual 2405fpws.

in fact, i remember seeing a picture of someone who received a replacement, before the other one had to be shipped off, so he hooked up both of them, and showed how much crap could be on both.

Edited by Gotchaforce

in fact, i remember seeing a picture of someone who received a replacement, before the other one had to be shipped off, so he hooked up both of them, and showed how much crap could be on both.

586086788[/snapback]

In order to run that Apple 30" you need to buy that special DUAL DLL DVI nVidia Card.

so my 9800 pro 128 card will be able to dispaly that monitor in its native resolution as well as having a 2nd 19 inch LCD at 1280 by 1024?

Just making sure before I order one

586086788[/snapback]

Yer but the Apple graphic card that can support that the 6800Ultra has a special DVI dual link it channels 2 connections through 1 cable (shape of a Y cable if you have seen one of them) splitting the picture into 2 segments.

Cards that are able to do this are the 6800Ultra (Apple only version!) the 17inch Apple Powerbook and 15inch Powerbook (I know the 17inch one can I'm not 100% on the 15inch) And almost all Matrox graphic cards.

Also to be known to be able to run this dual link are some model of Asus 6800 cards (non GT and non Ultra) where a batch had the wrong RAMDACs fitted (worked fine) and could run a 30inch Apple monitor at full rez.