Photo

msconfig > Services > Which Ones Can I Stop?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

®®\vers.12.vis.13.u.03.al\DL

• Tech Issues Solved: 2
  • Phone: LG G3

Posted 26 April 2005 - 16:13

I used to have a list of the MS Services it was okay to turn off under msconfig.

I have tried Googling it and I cannot find the exact web page I used to use. This page was really good because it not only told you what was okay to not have run, but why it was okay.

I know the page was actually recommended by someone in these forums, so does anyone know the web page (site) I am talking about and/or have a similar page they use?

I am just looking for a list that says what MS Services it is okay to turn off through msconfig, and if possible also have it explain why it is okay.

TIA,
DL

#2 vetJohn

John

Neowinian Senior

Posted 26 April 2005 - 16:22

The site you were probably recommended is Black Viper's. I recommend you do not use MSCONFIG to disable services, but instead use the tool meant for this task, the Services MMC plugin. Run services.msc (Y)

#3 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 26 April 2005 - 16:41

The site you were probably recommended is Black Viper's. I recommend you do not use MSCONFIG to disable services, but instead use the tool meant for this task, the Services MMC plugin. Run services.msc (Y)

View Post

Sweet. Thank You. It was definitely Black Viper's site. And I see it is Under Construction at the moment. I did a search and it seems like he has been MIA according to some forum for a little while now, hopefully he comes back.

In case anyone is interested in this topic as well, On that forum they recommend this link as a temporary replacement for now: <a href='http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm' target='_blank'>http://www.theeldergeek.com/services_guide.htm</a>

And also thanks for that tip, and I will definitely do that. I honestly just never knew about it.

#4 vetdreamz

dreamz

discreet artist

Posted 26 April 2005 - 16:52

ahem: http://www.neowin.ne...howtopic=309463

;)

it's all there.

and there's a reason why you use services.msc and not msconfig. it's safer. you can't disable important services.

#5 OP vetDirtyLarry

DirtyLarry

Posted 26 April 2005 - 17:38

ahem: http://www.neowin.ne...howtopic=309463

;)

it's all there.
and there's a reason why you use services.msc and not msconfig.  it's safer.  you can't disable important services.

View Post

(Y)

#6 genelong

genelong

Resident One Post Wonder

Posted 02 May 2005 - 12:30

I just disabled a bunch of services that were marked as not needed, and my taskbar date disappeared. In XP, if your taskbar is two lines long, there is a date automatically displayed, and that feature is gone now. The task bar also changed color.

I've searched for which service might be responsible for the date, but have not been able to find it. Any clues where to look?

THanks.

Gene

#7 Slimy

Slimy

Ars + Neowin

Posted 02 May 2005 - 22:26

you can see if you have all the ones under the highlighted one started, welcome to neowin sorry i can't help more

Attached Images

• 123.JPG

#8 Guest_sendmarksmail_*

Guest_sendmarksmail_*

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:31

yea im having problems in the msconfig menu. at the startup screen, theres one program that has nothing listed. its blank. should i remove the check or leave it there? heres a picture. it's blank right under shwiconem.exe? whats that all about? anyone with the same prob?

Attached Images

• msconfig.JPG

#9 matt95110

matt95110

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 July 2005 - 03:50

^ Happens all the time. There are other programs that you can use that will tell you the startup programs. CCleaner is one, or you could just check the registry.

#10 OPaul

OPaul

That's what she said

Posted 30 July 2005 - 19:09

Why does everyone say it's safer to disable services via services.msc? Why difference does it make if you use msconfig instead?

#11 vetColin-uk

Colin-uk

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 July 2005 - 19:28

Why does everyone say it's safer to disable services via services.msc? Why difference does it make if you use msconfig instead?

View Post

Because then you cant accidentally disable critical services

#12 turkishdelight

turkishdelight

Neowinian

Posted 04 August 2005 - 15:52

By the way, there's a BV mirror here.

#13 enigmamachine

enigmamachine

Neowinian

Posted 06 August 2005 - 11:51

I used to have a list of the MS Services it was okay to turn off under msconfig.

I have tried Googling it and I cannot find the exact web page I used to use. This page was really good because it not only told you what was okay to not have run, but why it was okay.

I know the page was actually recommended by someone in these forums, so does anyone know the web page (site) I am talking about and/or have a similar page they use?

I am just looking for a list that says what MS Services it is okay to turn off through msconfig, and if possible also have it explain why it is okay.

TIA,
DL

View Post

maybe look at this site http://www.overclock...xp_services.php, u'll find out some guides for windows services or try to edit ur registry
start>run>regedit>HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE>SYSTEM>CurrentControlSet>Control and make dword value by type "ServicesPipe Timeout" (w/o quotes off course lol...) and change / modify the value to 25000 ms (25 second) or something (by default windows make this for 30000 ms) but dont forget to back up your Reg files b4 u doing this..
good luck

Edited by enigmamachine, 06 August 2005 - 12:02.

#14 Staind

Staind

Neowinian

Posted 06 August 2005 - 13:08

:cry: I can't find my msconfig file, any help?

#15 McLaren_F1

McLaren_F1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 06 August 2005 - 13:21

:cry: I can't find my msconfig file, any help?

View Post

its not an file.

go to run and type msconfig