773 members have voted

1. 1. Which Linux Distro do you prefer?

• Slackware (or derivatives)
    • Debian
    • SUSE Linux (or derivatives)
    • Fedora Core (or Redhat, or RHEL)
    • Gentoo (or derivatives)
    • Ubuntu
    • Other Debian Derivative (Mepis, Kanotix, etc)
    • Arch
    • Linspire
    • Mandriva

New Poll started

-rezza

Here is a refresh of the poll from last year:

https://www.neowin.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=152954

What distro do you use? (and, yes, we know that BSD is not Linux, but it is popular enough to add to the poll, making this more of an Open Source OS poll)

What distro do you recommend as a "first distro" for someone new to Linux?

If you are new to Linux, and have a question on which Linux distro to try, this thread is the place to pose your question. All general questions regarding "which Linux distro" for typical desktop use will be moved here for the community to answer. Technical quesions or problems are considered "off-topic" for this thread, and should be made into their own topic.

Ubuntu Rules!

585205472[/snapback]

I agree... except for the fact that I can't get it to work. Well it works, but I mean, for some reason the LILO or GRUB won't detect that I have a Windows installation. :/

SUSE rules. I used it for awhile as my main OS until my parents tried using it :D. Only problem I had was an issue with Radeon drivers... damn you ATI!

I've used Mandrake for long periods of time before, too. It's also a very nice system.

Knoppix its easy to use and also it recognize my modem something that not any distro can do but im kinda interested in sun java desktop (based on suse) or the new novell suse linux . I used mandrake but didnt know how to make my modem work

i'm a man of many distributions.

my main workstation runs gentoo. i have a 486 laptop running debian woody. i have a pentium 233 running slackware. knoppix is my favorite bootdisk. and i love playing with freebsd, i just don't have a machine for it right now :woot:

Fedora, totally. I've tried other distros, but Fedora is just the easiest and best in my eyes. Load it up with Apt and Synaptic PM and you're set. :D

From what little bit ive experienced from LINUX so far ( just fedora core 3 :/ ) i look forward to ALL. i know as time goes by Open Source software is just gonna get better better. I feel ready to dedicate more time torwards LINUX, Just on a second rig this time :/