WindowBlinds XP RC1 available

I used WinBlinds with the ObjectDeskTop... Used it by Itself, Used a "Key Generator to Register it, Downloaded an Enhanced version from a Warez... All in all, I used it all the way, Any way I was able too.

We do NOT endorse or WANT this kind of behavior here. If you continue on like this you may find that someday you will not be able to login ;)

Lets just keep it at the debate in hand and not kick people in the balls like Pow35 has chosen to do.

There is absolutely NO excuse for Warez. If its too expensive, its because it is either good or has been pirated to the extent that it cannot be any cheaper.

Bashing a program and then admitting to stealing it, is a dumb thing to do IMHO.

Originally posted by Frogboy

Ultimately though, WindowBlinds won't be the only solution. Some people tend to say "Oh you're just upset that you don't have a monopoly on skinning now." But that's not the case.

ok if thats not the case and if you really don't care, then since wincustomise has miracuosly changed the tagline to "XP Visual Styles, Skins and themes for all your favourite applications!" why don't you put up a section for stuff thats made with Stylebuilder for styles xp. or did you just mean xp visual styles made with YOUR product?

Let me throw my oar in:

Windows Blinds XP cannot be compared to StylesXP simply because it uses its own dll's and implementation formats (.uis) StylesXP effectively uses the SAME way of skinning XP as Microsoft does. So StylesXP in theory will be faster, but not nesassarily better.

WindowsBlind adds features to Windows while StylesXP simply modifies existing files, and has no additional features.

An additional program on Windows like Windows Blinds, will ALWAYS cost more resources than when it was not there, simply because thats what programs do! The argument is at the end of the day, does it use an UNACCEPTABLE amount of resources for the additional features it provides?

A beta like WinblindsXP v3.0 is there to make users see its capablities, I have to agree that this should be a full version, to show people what it really can do and if its worth buying, a crippled beta will not get feedback from potential FULL users/buyers ;)

Example: Throughout most Betas for programs, even the Windows XP Beta, these were FULL un-crippled version(s). When the software/OS was released as final - not everyone got a full version. It was based on merit of feedback. Winblinds should adopt this into its Betas, as it adds alot more functionality to Windows (and its also its "selling point")

So if people just want additional Visual Styles, go with StylesXP by all means. (but know that it replaces a digitally signed file on XP)

If you want to Roll up Windows and have the additional features that Winblinds has, well - they are the only ones who can do it for the moment. I really cant see what the fighting is about, since the difference between the programs are so huge!

A full beta is often a very BAD thing to do. If it is fully usable then there is no incentive to buy the full product, you just stick with the beta that's released b4 the final product! Windows XP is a bad example... it was time limited AND they charged $10 to preview it. I'm sure Stardock will happily give out a full beta is people pay $10 for it.

Basically, if you're a registered user you should get all features on a beta, if you're not you should get the shareware features. I don't see why it should be any other way.

Now if only WindowBlinds was to have good skins and features. :p

its not like they cant control the time limit of the beta though can they? thats basically what the real one preview is doing, its basically get a full version of it and then once the preview period is over you get reduced functionality.

Oh well I fell the need to jump in I think the betas of windowblinds are time limited anyway but its like months or something.

I really have to agree that crippled beta stuff is a waste of time and its half the reason I dont use WB anymore was using it since .30 :) I dont go for any of the fancy stuff like roll ups, winamp controls in the bar because thats what takes up the memory/resources and slows you down. Most of the time its the skins fault that it slows you down. (to much trasperancy, plugings, large size borders etc etc etc)

I'm happy to stick with a product that uses MS's skinning engine to its full hacked or not(still remains to be seen what style builder can actually do because as Frogboy says StylesXP is just a hack dll and an extra style and the better not ever charge for that) because all I want is color variations on what I allready have thanks.

OH and Frogboy feel free to send me a full functional version of WBXP if you want so I can test it out you may even convert me my system specs have jump from a amd 400 toa 1.7gig pentuim so I dobt I will see much difference if any. jezz2@hotmail.com

JEZZ

I was playin around with my MSStyle that i'm workin on.. and i was wondering..

since WBXP is so much more customizeable.. and compatable than MSStyles....

can you do this in WBXP ???

Originally posted by Ja450n

I was playin around with my MSStyle that i'm workin on.. and i was wondering..

since WBXP is so much more customizeable.. and compatable than MSStyles....

can you do this in WBXP ???

WindowBlinds may not have a suitable UIS attribute for that right now (I will check and see about exporting that functionality via alignment codes). Though adjusting the content rectangles for the startpanel user pane may produce the required results.

Regarding your theme, it looks like its an aqua based theme. If this is the case then I would be careful as I believe apple will take legal action against any theme which resembles aqua. (it was a big topic in the skinning community about 20 months ago)

Who cares ! I'm here for Visual Styles not WindowBlinds Skins. Clever how you Stardock people bullied your way into the visual Styles threads and are using it for your own agenda. The Moderator needs to look at this and perhaps make some changes.

Neobond wrote...

Bashing a program and then admitting to stealing it, is a dumb thing to do IMHO
Tell me... where do you see me bashing the software? The only thing said was... Pow wrote...
Perhaps the entire problem is in the Graphics and a fresh look at the entire creativity aspect and for some graphic artist to go out and look around... try to get fresh idea's... sorry, but all I see here so far, is sooooo.... Cloned.
Looks exactly as Frogboy has been asking for...

Frogboy wrote...

That's why it matters to the guys here (myself included) that you guys specifically like our stuff. And if you don't, we want to know what we can do to fix that.
Pow35 wrote...
But still, I bought that 1 year license... I used WinBlinds with the ObjectDeskTop...

Hmmm... How many of you can say that THEY bought the OBJECT DESKTOP??? Got an answer for that one "Wickedkitten"?

Or are you too busy running around complaining that you have to pay for the "ObjectDesktop"??

Wickedkitten wrote to Frogboy...

Why don't you ever add the "if you pay or have paid 50 bucks for object desktop" on your posts?
If I already OWN a License... How is it Illegal for me to Download from Anywhere I want, that same version I pay for Already?

I don't think Frogboy has become a CEO by been an ignorant... and if someone tells him that Warez Site has FULL copies of his Software (Which in a way is a good thing... Shows that the Program has become well known and wanted enough to create a demand on Warez), well... 2 things need to be addressed then...

FIRST... Create a different approach to the WindowBlind Distribution... perhaps ObjectDestop is not the answer to a FAIR offer. As I said, If I buy a software, I expect of been able to retain the Software usage after the Online ObjectDestop has expired -- -- (Loose the Update abilities to the Software... but still have access to it's use... I paid for it after all... Even when leasing a Car, you do have a BUYBack option at the end) --

Not simply a Pay for it again pop up!

SECOND... Dealing with the Warez comment... then It is obvious that it is a concern of everyone... some say it is a good thing... Advertising at a low cost...

Others sees it as a plague... I tend to agree sometime on that one... ;)

And finally but not the least, many sees it as a way to truly learn all aspect of a software.... at no restriction...

All in all... Everyone has it's own opinion.

Needless to say, that in this case, since Frogboy is one of the CEO of Stardock... perhaps, it is a Heads up to something to be dealt with and not been Slashed across for making people aware of it's existance and side effect which would be ignorant and old fashion to pretend otherwise... hmmm... Like those 3 monkey right?

I didn't see it, therefore I won't listen to it nor even talk about it!

Hopefully, after been blunt and truthfully sincere unlike some of you... I won't find miself punished for it.

Would be sad... for simply posting an opinion. :ermm:

P.S... To "tmf2"

Visual Style... Skins...? What's the difference? To me, they are the same END result... changes the OUTlook of Window... Therefore.. It is VISUAL... Not Physical or anything else.. ;)

Are you actually thinking about what your typing before you type it or are you just an idiot? I so completely don't believe you. At this point I can't imagine you saying anything more retarded that what you just posted. First off you basically go ahead and admit that you pirated WB right in front of the freaking CEO of Stardock and if thats not bad enough you actually seem PROUD of it!

If you went and bought a LICENSE to use Object Desktop like you said you did why the hell would you bother downloading Warezed copies eh? Could it be that :o your license to keep getting new versions ran out????

If I already OWN a License... How is it Illegal for me to Download from Anywhere I want, that same version I pay for Already?
you show me where it says you can keep getting illegal copies from anywhere on the net in that license pal. thats the whole point of getting it THROUGH object desktop.
Hopefully, after been blunt and truthfully sincere unlike some of you... I won't find miself punished for it.

Would be sad... for simply posting an opinion.

whether you have an opinion or an ###### you just f**kin admitted to and tried to justify pirating stardocks software you retard.

Hmmm... How many of you can say that THEY bought the OBJECT DESKTOP??? Got an answer for that one "Wickedkitten"?

Or are you too busy running around complaining that you have to pay for the "ObjectDesktop"??

if you had been paying attention to posts instead of incriminating your own ass you would have seen my post stating that i have bought object desktop network and in my case quit using it before the year was even up so suck on that, i didn't go oh my year is over but since i paid my license for that year that means i can still go download copies from warez sites.

I wasn't bitching about having to pay for object desktop network per se, i was bitching about the fact that for a BETA if you want a full featured copy of said BETA you have to pay for an object desktop network subscription.

.UIS is just another XP skinning format. Microsoft certainly considers WindowBlinds skins a valid XP skin format and it's their OS.

I find it ironic that those that put forth considerable energy to say nasty things that are often baseless would then say that *I* am here with some hidden agenda.

Skins is skins.

If you went and bought a LICENSE to use Object Desktop like you said you did why the hell would you bother downloading Warezed copies eh?
LOL.
Clever how you Stardock people bullied your way into the visual Styles threads and are using it for your own agenda.

I don't consider this post about WindowBlinds here in the Visual Styles section a hijacking... it is very valid because it's an alternate to Visual Styles. Then again it would have been just as useful to post it under the BackNews section, but it's fine here IMO.

"Wickedkitten" hmm.... Not worth the reply... As I can see, you CAN'T read.

I am sure "Frogboy" knows. It makes sense and he certainly had or will have to deal with those issues.

mortensen wrote...

I don't consider this post about WindowBlinds here in the Visual Styles section a hijacking... it is very valid because it's an alternate to Visual Styles.

Agree on this point... Style, Skins... What is it gonna be next... Buttons are different from snaps? Might consider creating a tread for every BMP used... or whatever you guy's use for those Styles...

The point here is to get comments on what can be improved... I said what can be improved, nothing else... how about you guy's?

Anything to make WinDowBlinds even faster under WinXP?

I still believe thats what Frogboy is waiting for still.

go ahead pow, back up and try to save your ass then say I can't read, obviously you did't bother to read the last post neobond posted to you

I agree. I was talking to Zorn in another thread and he made a good comment with regards to how people still debate Quicktime vs. Microsoft's video format vs. Real.

Skin formats will likely be the same. But at the end of the day, they're all the same as far as the user is concerned.

But if Stardock fails to make WindowBlinds run .UIS files as seamless as .msstyles, then it's doomed in the long term.

But there are things it can do. For instance, RC1a can use new XP 2D APIs that let supported video cards use their own video RAM to improve performance. Microsof't .msstyles uses pure DIBS which is good but limits what you can do with them (you can't use GDI API calls on DIBs other than SetDibBlits and the like).

Obviously the toughest thing going against Stardock is that it has to support several different versons of Windows, some of which really are awful to support (Windows ME for instance).