A quick response option should be made

I would be great + very usefull to include a text box underneath treads for the quick response, because not everyone wants to play with html, smiles.., and have too many clicks.

It's not such a drag to implement this feature, or is it?

Regards.

btw

Site rules!

sorry for being unclear

all I would do is to include anoter text/memo box after last tread so user can type message right away and submit it from the same page, that way you don't need to wait for another page (Post reply page) to open.

1 of the reason suggesting is that this site isn't very fast, so this kind of option would decrease load on webserver

you may wanna check out www.linuxquestions.org, to see what I mean

( look for quick response box underneath all treads)

regards

that idea makes sense...however that suggestion probably should be made to the vBulletin people...since they put the forum code together. (maybe there's an option like this already)

but on the other hand (yeah it's late so i'm just gonna type and probably not make too much sense) a quick response option would make it easier for people to post...which could be a bad thing. there might end up being a lot of needless posting.

alright. i'm going to bed. :sleeping:

Ouick reply takes up alot of space, just another confusing feature IMO.

People already don't put enough time into their posts. :p Why make it quicker. :D

Originally posted by aco

Ouick reply takes up alot of space, just another confusing feature IMO.

People already don't put enough time into their posts. :p Why make it quicker. :D

all you need to do then is block spammers and users with stupid posts ( give them 1 warning and than ban).

I beleive there is 85% of posters that post for a good reason, and correct me if I'm wrong

Originally posted by thingsforjason

that idea makes sense...however that suggestion probably should be made to the vBulletin people...since they put the forum code together. (maybe there's an option like this already)...

this option is already included in da program

all you need to do then is block spammers and users with stupid posts ( give them 1 warning and than ban).

I beleive there is 85% of posters that post for a good reason, and correct me if I'm wrong

Seems you have not heard of the great Scoobie.. :lick:

Scoobie = resident post ###### of the past. posted like 1000 posts in a day or something bad like that...

anyhoo, i think this is a good idea, and something I've liked before. I think there are other possibilities for decreasing server load (increasing wait time on those META-REFRESH pages inbetween posts just came to mind), but this seems like a good one to add as well...

Don't know if I mentioned this before but I don't like the quick reply boxes. If we were to use them we may as well remove the whole post reply thingy.

What I'm willing to add is to give every user an option to enable or disable the 'Topic Review' below the post form.

This would cut down on the loads.

On top of that you can also disable 'quick links on input screens' in cpanel.

but just think about the load

when you want to reply message you need to open another page with same articles on, and then you can only submit, and since there is lots of posts, your site needs to serve almost 2 times the load.

but you are right that it would get more necessary posts, but you can also solve that with article rating. And if one user get's lets say 3 times 1 star rating, it could just get his posting disabled for 3 days or so

but on the other hand we do need a full post page, because sometimes it's good to take time and write a nice reply

Originally posted by Noerr

but just think about the load

when you want to reply message you need to open another page with same articles on, and then you can only submit, and since there is lots of posts, your site needs to serve almost 2 times the load.

but you are right that it would get more necessary posts, but you can also solve that with article rating. And if one user get's lets say 3 times 1 star rating, it could just get his posting disabled for 3 days or so

but on the other hand we do need a full post page, because sometimes it's good to take time and write a nice reply

THE MAN has spoken.:D :D

but seriously, ratings? that could lead to a whole new form of abuse.

Originally posted by flyers1033

but seriously, ratings? that could lead to a whole new form of abuse.

why abuse? If 20+ people votes that one posting sucks, it's pretty clear that something is wrong with it

Originally posted by Noerr

why abuse? If 20+ people votes that one posting sucks, it's pretty clear that something is wrong with it

It will be abused. I have seen it on other forums. People will try to get the most stars/ratings etc... by posting crap. Its just another way to treat people with low post counts or low star/ratings badly. I don't think it would be a good idea. People that like to keep their post counts up by posting junk, would do the same with trying to keep their rating up too.

Edit: Fixed a confusing part of my post.

Star ratings? Where might these be found? I checked a few profiles and didn't see any stars...

Edit: nevermind... just realized it was in reply to someone suggesting ratings.

I'm still against the idea of the quick reply box, but I see your point about a reply page being extra server load.

No way there is going to be a star thing, post counts create enough competition. :D

I guess if you put quick reply box it will make more posts, and that would put the load on server also, so either way ~ (similar) load.

the thing is a little unnatural bcoz you are typing your reply above the peoples replys (it's easier to type an answer to the text located 2inches above your box)

+ waiting for Post reply page is unproductive, so the way I /probably others also, do it is to have 5-10 neowin.net windows open and then read one, post another subject, open 3 forum,load subscribed...., and get things going by fast. However load on server is x3 at least