The ideal home theater

I plan to purchase a home theater setup by the end of the year, but I can't find something I like.

Even though what I want is relatively simple and I think should be the standard, I'm not sure if its possible.

I want a fully integrated system, preferably not a mix between different brands unless it works seamlessly.

I'm still not very sure of what I want, but here is what I have thought of so far.

What I want:

1. To be able to power on my DVD player or console and the TV must automatically detect and select the appropriate input, power on the surround sound system and direct the sound accordingly.

2. I want to be able to stream iTunes music from a Mac in a distant room and control it from the remote (There must be only one), possibly using the TV as a screen for selecting the songs.

3. A future-proof system. I don't want my TV to downscale the image in the future.

4. Aesthetically pleasing.

What I don't want:

1. I DO NOT want to mess around selecting the inputs on the TV, manually power on the sound system and then setting the sound system to play sound from whichever device is being used. It has to work seamlessly.

2. Multiple remotes. I only want to use a single, thin, elegant remote with good tactile feedback. Something like the B&O remote. The Sony universal remotes I've seen are huge.

3. A Plasma TV.

I was looking around the B&O website and noticed that pretty much everything uses "BeoLink", which I think might be the seamless integration I want. Does anyone know what it really is?

If what I want isn't possible, what is the closest I could reasonably get?

1 word :

AMX

The stuff you want to do sounds like it isn't complicated. But the ONLY way to dectect dvd/cd/sacd is by using a remote that can recieve feedback aka AMX or crestron. Also, i am in the process of making iTunes work with the AMX remote by using apple script... very cool stuff.

My company is an AMX dealer, and i'm an AMX programmer... So I could help you out... heh :ninja:

clarifaction : if you want to put a DVD in the player, then have your whole system switch because of that, or pres power on the consol, and your whole system switch, you need amx.

If you want to have buttons like:

DVD CD

XBOX SAT

VCR

I would recomend a Philips Pronto remote or the Home Theater master MX850.

Now controlling itunes... AMX is the best bet... you can VNC directly to the mac via the pannel, and walk anywhere in the house with the pannel...

Edited by cq107

that onkyo remote sucks ... they ship it will all the integra recievers... in order to change the volume you have to make sure that it says "AMP" on the lcd... which most often it doesn't.

No ya don't if you set it corrctley. I have mine set up w/ macro's and I can be on the dvd setting and turn up the volume. This remote is one of the better unversal's that supports RF.

Yes you can get remotes at a cheaper price, but they have limataions, not enough macro's, some require a specific key function to "save" cammands before changing batt's etc.

I have a Denon Unimote that is really nice but while using the volume keys it defualts the commands to "amp" control no matter how you config.

I think an AMX/Crestron system might be just what I was looking for. A relative has a Crestron system and I was impressed.

The AMX site isn't very descriptive. What can I actually do with an AMX system and for about how much would one of the systems with the cool touchscreens run for?

I think I saw something on those sites about audio and video distribution. What would that be? :unsure: