Updated copyright violation policy, please read.

First, the updated policy:

-------------------------------------------

Taken from "Windows Customization FAQ's and Rules", posted January 15, 2002:

Info Concerning "rips"

If you see any Logon Screens or Visual Styles posted here that appear to be rips please use the report post link in the thread. Be sure include information on why you believe it is a rip. After we look into it we will either leave the post be or delete it depending on our conclusion.  

Copyright violation policy update as of June 17, 2002:

Neowin.net does not allow or permit the posting of copyright violations. This includes, but is not limited to visual styles, icons, wallpapers and application skins. The following guidelines should be considered when posting a copyrighted work:

1.) Permission from the original copyright holder must be included with the posted content. Permission should be current, valid and addressed to the member posting the copyrighted work. A copy of the permission should be forwarded to an active forum moderator.

2.) Screenshots of copyrighted material are allowed within the forums. However, any attempt to distribute a "ripped" work by a board member is a violation of Neowin.net policy. This includes use of the private message system, posting of email addresses, etc.

3.) All permissions will be followed up by a forum moderator. Posting of a falsified permission will result in immediate action being taken against the offending member.

4.) Neowin.net asks that all members that find a work they believe to be in violation of copyright to report the offending material immediately, including all information as to why you believe the work to be in violation of a copyright.

Any post in violation of these policies will be deleted. Disciplinary action against the offending board member will follow existing Neowin policies.

Neowin.net respects the integrity and rights of artists and their works. If you have any questions or complaints about the enforcement of this policy, please feel free to contact me or any other moderator in the Customizing Windows Forums.

Thank you for your understanding,

deadzombie

Neowin Board Moderator

Customizing Windows Moderator

-------------------------------------------

Over the past few weeks we've had the issue of copyright violations here on Neowin.net raised several times. With the exception of a few new requirements, our overall policy is the same as ever:Neowin does not allow copyright violations.

Hopefully the updated policy will answer some questions as to what is or is not allowed, and discourage some people from trying to 'sneak by' the policy (I'm sure nobody at Neowin would ever do that...:p )

Neowin is growing larger and stronger everyday. Out of love for the community, let's all work together to make certain we maintain our integrety and excellent reputation.

deadzombie

hey i think this is a great step to stop copyrighting

don't get me wrong

i love neowin but i am positive these new rules would help the community more and make it abetter place for more people

just my thoughts

Lates

Originally posted by deadzombie  

Neowin does not allow copyright violations.

i'm not too sure about that.. i hate to say something like that.. but i feel its true.

Believe me, the updated policy will be enforced.

Personally, I hope it never has to be enforced (...in the best of all possible worlds...)

It would be very nice if each and every person visiting these forums would respect the boards policies.

Originally posted by lazydesert  

and sp1 . . .

well is that considered a rip? or a leak? but it doesn't have permission so......

but the question is how far does it go?

if i post a rip of a theme, icon, etc., it gets cut.

if i post a icon set full of logos, wallpaper full of non-public photos, or anything like that they are treated different.

i don't really care, but its a double standard.

Originally posted by Ravager  

Ah. So for ports (like Milk which I love :D), permission must be asked of the mod?

no they just make sure you do have permission is all. istead of taking your word and having the original creator coming later.

This update applies to artistic works.

The standing Neowin policy on warez and cracks is pretty easy to understand. Let's not make this too hard or try to confuse the issues.

You don't have to get a mods permission to post anything. That's not what the update says. It says to email a copy of the permission to an active mod.

This way we can check that Neowin isn't sponsering rips.

What other questions do we have?

Originally posted by unsanity  

well is that considered a rip? or a leak? but it doesn't have permission so......

its considered software for use only by the selected beta testers. distribution and screenshots of sp1 violate microsoft's copyright rules..

and so did i, just now, by not including the appropriate symbol for the microsoft title ® © tm etc.. . .

Let me make it easy for everyone:

Don't rip people and your fine.

Don't post warez and cracks and you're fine.

Why is this such a hard concept to grasp?

Originally posted by deadzombie  

This update applies to artistic works.

The standing Neowin policy on warez and cracks is pretty easy to understand. Let's not make this too hard or try to confuse the issues.

ok

relating to artistic works..

a user posts his original theme which includes a windows flag, msn butterfly, or mac apple..

does he need permission from those companies?

Originally posted by unsanity  

^^^ post now that was iffy ;) oyu know what he means dont make it hard!

so we treat individuals and companies differently ?

actually, i, personally, could care less. but i feel that these things will need to be addressed at some point.. and theres no better time than now.

well how can u go about not posting a regular theme without the windows flag? now the apple icons i think should not be allowed. after apple shut down my site i think people shouldn't be able to send out **** like this i dont want to see neowin suffer.

This update is in effect as of today. Will the moderators go through and remove the Sosumi thread because it uses an Apple in its start button? No, that's going overboard, and rather silly.

Instead of pushing the issue and trying to back the site into a corner, let's keep it as simple as it really is:

Don't rip people and your fine.

Don't post warez and cracks and you're fine.