Police Officer Tazes Lady.

Wow, neowin sure is a bed of international hate. Anyway, a lot of context can be lost with a news report like this. Sometimes cops pull someone over acting like that, and they get shot because the suspect with a gun hidden near them was wanting to stay in the car with their drugs. If the cop starts wrestling these people out by hand, the suspect will easily grab their weapon and shoot them right on the side of the road. So they have good reason to force the person out of the car with all hands in plain sight, using strong means if necessary.

OTT police action. OTT woman whining. Sorry. No need to taze her. He had backup and they could have quite easily pulled her from the car without the taze.

She deserved it, she was being a bitch and disobeying someones direct orders which were done so she doesn't try to flee, and she was speeding pretty damn fast! She could of layed on her stomach she was just being an overdramatic., whiney baby, so **** off if you don't like it, people need to be controlled, especially speeding maniacs.

****ing sicko's... she didn't lie on her Stomach because she couldn't ... she was ****in' tazed!  How the hell are they so thick!?  ****in <snipped> twats.  Actually they tazed her because they enjoyed hurting her.  You think after you get 50K volts in you, that you will disobey again?  She was not lying on her stomach because she couldn't .... simple.

They are twisted.

586034858[/snapback]

Oh!! pipe down...could have been worse and been in some middle eastern country and they cut her head off.

I would have tazed her a third time for walking to slow back to the police car.

Haha! Take that you tool.

When an officer asks you to comply you should, otherwise like all other officers they become tossers and abuse their power/position.

I had a police officer set his dog on me as I was walking to the shop. He asked where I was going, to the shops I replied. He just wanted some fun and let the dog bite my leg. I did nothing wrong. Tosser. True story.

A.C.A.B.

This is awful. Imagine that was your own mother who wanted (and has the right to have) the officer's name. Yes, she was not 100% O.K. herself, but she DID NOT pose an immediate threat to anybody's life. You can say that she "desreved it" (which is an highly subjective claim and I do not agree with) but the fact is that you do not cause pain to someone just because they "desreve it", you may do that only to save lives when you don't have any other option left.

P.S. - Maybe that was just a comedy act or something similar. I really hope so. If not, again, this is awful.

586033982[/snapback]

First, the police themselves say that using a taser is a better option than using physical force. It poses less danger to both parties, and physical force results in far more lawsuits. A taser hurts, yes, but it's temporary. The woman was crying for far longer than the pain lasts.

Watch the entire video again here. http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/...er_video3a.html

It includes voice-over from a sergeant of the Palm Beach police dept. When a person such as herself (suspended license) is behind the wheel of a vehicle, it's essentially a deadly weapon. She could also have any number of weapons inside the vehicle. Now you tell me, what's the better option for the cop? Use the taser, incapacitate the woman long enough to arrest her, or reach in the car and try to forcibly remove her? It's obvious it wasn't going to go down easy, and the cop has to look out for himself.

****ing sicko's... she didn't lie on her Stomach because she couldn't ... she was ****in' tazed!  How the hell are they so thick!?  ****in <snipped> twats.  Actually they tazed her because they enjoyed hurting her.  You think after you get 50K volts in you, that you will disobey again?  She was not lying on her stomach because she couldn't .... simple.

They are twisted.

586034858[/snapback]

Do you have any idea of the actual effects of being hit with a taser? I mean, something outside the realm of "it must", or "i think". No? Well guess what...those cops do know what being tased is like, because they all have to get tased before they're given a taser. They would know if a person isn't complying because they can't, or they don't want to.

...simple.

Officers are required to identify themselves (Name and badge #), but the patrol car number is not required.  Additionally, one exception to Miranda law is that you are required to identify yourself to the officer.

Are you serious? That's barely 15 over.

586033943[/snapback]

1) My point being, she knew she had a suspended license (or maybe she didn't, who knows). Anyway, by asking for his name and badge number, she dug herself in deep. He probably never would have cited her for the broken tail light and windshield, but once she became offensive, that drew the line. I don't care if he is required to identify himself or not, it was stupid on HER part to even ask for his information.

2) Yes, I am serious. The zone was 35 and clearly in a residential area. Working at a children's hospital, you see enough kids being hit by cars. And 15mph IS alot. I don't know, maybe you feel comfortable driving 40mph in a school zone, but not me. It's all relative.

You realize that all US police officers first must get tazer training and one of the criteria to pass training is to get tazzered yourself. The cop knew how bad it hurts before he used.

I don't think the cop should have used it. She wasn't a threat. He could knock her out in 1 punch. The cop was being a dick about the whole situation from the start. He could have been a little more professional.

Don't get me wrong, they got to take her in, but the way he went, it was extreme.

Reminds me of the story where this female cop tazered and bodyslammed a 70 year old women sitting in a chair at a hospital.

Cops are getting way too aggressive

586034747[/snapback]

Again, watch the entire incident here:

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/...er_video3a.html

The cop was more than professional, even when he found out her license was expired and she needed to be arrested.

You'd rather the cop punch a woman and knock her out than use a taser? Instead of temporary pain caused by electricity, you'd rather the cop cause physical damage to the woman, possible causing serious, lasting injury?

You people have no idea what it's like being a cop. You need to consider things a bit more before spouting your baseless opinions and accusations.

When a person such as herself (suspended license) is behind the wheel of a vehicle, it's essentially a deadly weapon.  She could also have any number of weapons inside the vehicle.  Now you tell me, what's the better option for the cop?  Use the taser, incapacitate the woman long enough to arrest her, or reach in the car and try to forcibly remove her?  It's obvious it wasn't going to go down easy, and the cop has to look out for himself.

586035029[/snapback]

Why not just talk to her calmly and explain that she will have her day in court and they she will be given an opportunity to explain it all to a judge?

I can't imagine that the cop thought he was in person danger from this women. Sure she had a screw loose.

I'm thinking that that could have gone a lot smoother with a more understanding cop.

[Posts have been edited to remove geographic generalizations]

[Thread Moved from GD to NFN]

Why not just talk to her calmly and explain that she will have her day in court and they she will be given an opportunity to explain it all to a judge?

I can't imagine that the cop thought he was in person danger from this women.  Sure she had a screw loose.

I'm thinking that that could have gone a lot smoother with a more understanding cop.

[Posts have been edited to remove geographic generalizations]

[Thread Moved from GD to NFN]

586035062[/snapback]

But that's just it. Cops can't afford to think, "hmm, is this woman a danger to me?" The woman is resisting, being belligerent and accusatory. I think it's obvious that calmly explaining anything to her wasn't going to work. Some force was required, and as the sergeant says in the linked article I posted above, the taser is a much better option than physical force. If I had to choose between getting beat up by a cop or getting a taser, I'll take the taser every time. At least with a taser, it's all over in a minute.

PS - If the cops were doing something wrong, do you think a Palm Beach sergeant would have dissected the video, narrated it, and used it as a training video?

But that's just it.  Cops can't afford to think, "hmm, is this woman a danger to me?"  The woman is resisting, being belligerent and accusatory.  I think it's obvious that calmly explaining anything to her wasn't going to work.  Some force was required, and as the sergeant says in the linked article I posted above, the taser is a much better option than physical force.  If I had to choose between getting beat up by a cop or getting a taser, I'll take the taser every time.  At least with a taser, it's all over in a minute.

PS - If the cops were doing something wrong, do you think a Palm Beach sergeant would have dissected the video, narrated it, and used it as a training video?

586035096[/snapback]

I could have talked that women out of her car without incident.

To me she got what she deserved. Throughout the entire clip she was argumentative and even hostile attitude. She wanted his name and badge number, Fine. Dont keep arguing that your not going to comply and that your going to take him to court. DO WHAT THE **** YOURE TOLD TO DO. Stupid Biatch. Thats why I cant be a cop, I dont have the patience for peoples BullS--t. I would have neded up tazing her 10 times.

You'd rather the cop punch a woman and knock her out than use a taser?  Instead of temporary pain caused by electricity, you'd rather the cop cause physical damage to the woman, possible causing serious, lasting injury?

586035061[/snapback]

Bottom line, this being America and the situation involved a white police officer and a black woman, I think we all know what we would be hearing if he would have had to use extreme force to get the woman out of the car. There was no way in hell she was going to go out without some type of argument or altercation.

I'm in no way saying all cops are justified and trying to turn a blind eye, God knows there are some bad seeds in police uniforms. But, like I stated previously, right from the start this woman was uncooperative and acted as if it was the officer's fault she got pulled over.

And he did talk calmly to her, he told her EXACTLY what happened and what she needed to do. As far as I'm concerned, the lady chose to have her day in court right there. He even said "Believe me, I'll be there in court with you." But nope, instead she chose to drag it on even more.

I could have talked that women out of her car without incident.

586035110[/snapback]

You sure about that? Forgetting what we know now in retrospect, if a cop came to you and said,

"We have a middle aged woman here in an SUV with a suspended license who was doing 51 in a 35. She's refusing to follow orders by the police. She's being belligerent to the police officers. We don't know if she has a weapon in the car. She may flee the scene. Why don't you hop over and try to get her out of the car, k?"

If she's acting the way she is to a cop with a weapon, you think she's gonna listen to some plain-clothes guy? The minute you show up she'd probably just drive off.

Now, if you mean that you'd be able to talk her out if you were a cop, well then, that's a different story. If you were a cop, then you'd have received all the same training those cops did, and I don't imagine you would have made a different decision, that being the case.

Bottom line, this being America and the situation involved a white police officer and a black woman, I think we all know what we would be hearing if he would have had to use extreme force to get the woman out of the car. There was no way in hell she was going to go out without some type of argument or altercation.

I'm in no way saying all cops are justified and trying to turn a blind eye, God knows there are some bad seeds in police uniforms. But, like I stated previously, right from the start this woman was uncooperative and acted as if it was the officer's fault she got pulled over.

And he did talk calmly to her, he told her EXACTLY what happened and what she needed to do. As far as I'm concerned, the lady chose to have her day in court right there. He even said "Believe me, I'll be there in court with you." But nope, instead she chose to drag it on even more.

586035145[/snapback]

read my other posts...you'll see i agree with you.

Do you have any idea of the actual effects of being hit with a taser?  I mean, something outside the realm of "it must", or "i think".  No?  Well guess what...those cops do know what being tased is like, because they all have to get tased before they're given a taser.  They would know if a person isn't complying because they can't, or they don't want to.

...simple.

586035038[/snapback]

Rubbish. You're talking from experience too are you? Not likely. I'm gonna tazer you!

Rubbish.  You're talking from experience too are you?  Not likely.  I'm gonna tazer you!

586035178[/snapback]

exactly what part of that post is rubbish again?

I didn't read every post but I also didn't see anyone bring this point up about being dragged out of the car. This may be extreme but totally possible. If the officers tried to drag her out of the car and she resisted and cut her hand on something and scratched one of the officers then the possiblity of transfering AIDS or something else becomes a huge possibility. Also she was WAY over reacting by getting tazed. It doesn't really hurt, it scares you more than anything not being able to control your body.

They did everything 100% correct. Minimal injury to them and the lady. Most of the time people that resist are a threat in some way or have something to hide. Also with her on the phone she was obviously calling a male that may have gotten a 'group' of his 'buddies' to get there and make the situation a lot worse.

A+ on a job well done Officer McNevin.

Now, if you mean that you'd be able to talk her out if you were a cop, well then, that's a different story.  If you were a cop, then you'd have received all the same training those cops did, and I don't imagine you would have made a different decision, that being the case.

586035155[/snapback]

That is what I meant.

Well, after watching the video with the commentary, he did in fact try to get the woman out of the car by pulling her out. Like he said, she escalated the use of force by refusing to get out and pulling away.

So, that's that argument :)