Vancouver to stoppeople from defecating on streets

VANCOUVER (CP) - The ripe stench of human excrement is getting stronger in downtown lanes, curling the stomachs of workers who no longer want to relax by the back door for smoke breaks.

"We're getting to the point where the need for public toilets is getting serious," said Charles Gauthier, executive director of the Downtown Vancouver Business Improvement Association.

"There's a burgeoning entertainment district, a growing homelessness problem and people have nowhere to go.

"I've been with the association for 15 years and it's just becoming more and more of an issue for more of our members. The stench of urine and feces in back lanes in the central business district and the Downtown Eastside, where it's probably a lot worse."

The 10-block city slum is swollen with up to 5,000 injection drug users who have less control of their bowels. Many are homeless and have nowhere to go to the toilet.

http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/WeirdNews/2005...1077793-cp.html

It's about time. It's come to the point where you're more likely to slip on human poo than dog poo on your way home. You can't walk more than 5 meters without having to step over or around something.

And they should fine the people who throw poo out their windows and on to the sidewalks. It's disgusting.

And I dare not walk in the streets at night. Not in fear of being robbed, but in fear of stepping on poo!

Edited by em_te

THis is a root problem of the Four Pillar system Mayor Campbell decided on. Now that we're handing out drugs, its like a friggen homing beacon for homeless people.

I don't think its as bad a problem as described above, but this will hopefully make a difference.

-Ax

THis is a root problem of the Four Pillar system Mayor Campbell decided on. Now that we're handing out drugs, its like a friggen homing beacon for homeless people.

I don't think its as bad a problem as described above, but this will hopefully make a difference.

-Ax

586042811[/snapback]

Well said. Campbell needs to be out. I'm sick of all the friggen bums that are crowding the streets and getting free drugs... makes me sick they should even supply toilets for them.

im glad we dont have this problem on the island.... ewww :x

586039083[/snapback]

Yeah let's just hope they don't build a bridge from Vancouver to Vancouver Island

Thats wierd when I went there I thought that city was really clean. I remeber it being the cleanest city I had ever seen.

Glad I never lived near E. Hastings :x

And I agree, Campbell should just die in a hole. The guy was freaking arrested for drunk driving in Hawaii!

586043398[/snapback]

That was Gordon Campbell (The Premier). This is Larry Campbell (Mayor of Vancouver). They are both idiots

ONLY IN CANADAAAAAAA!! :rofl:

sorry, couldn't resist. I hope you get those toilets soon! :laugh:

586043365[/snapback]

Well we ordered some toilets from the US but our only road got rained on and the horse carriage can't handle the mud.

Public bathrooms are useful, but think on this:

* homeless people (will) use them as their HQ, instead of going to centres/centers where people can help them to rehabilitate.

* street drug addicts (will) use them to inject their stuff in safe.

Well we ordered some toilets from the US but our only road got rained on and the horse carriage can't handle the mud.

586043410[/snapback]

yeah, i hope it gets fixed soon. my mom says if i go to "the school" long enough i can get a job and possibly afford a new crutch for little timmy. then he can help me dig a hole to put all the feces in :)

im glad we dont have this problem on the island.... ewww :x

586039083[/snapback]

yeah, that's why i hate it in vancouver, and love it back here in nanaimo , damn school in van