Linux Q&A

Does it try and generate errors (or a log)? Or does it not even try? (runlevel issue)

It tries, when its done try to boot it says "found screens but none have acceptable configurations" or something along those lines. It stopped work when I adjusted the vertical refresh rate in the xorg.conf file. I first changed it up to 43-75 Hz and I only had options for 800x600 and 640x480 so I came to teh conclusion that the high the setting this affects the possible resoltuion options, so I turned it lower so I could access the higher resoltuions, I belive I changed it to 50-65 I tihnk, I know the max was 65 or 70 I changed it to. Then I ctrl+alt+backspace and it wouldnt load the visual portion anymore.

BTW, my monitor is a KDE Visual Sensations, bought way back in Nov 2000. Cant find the model number anywhere.

Do you have an old copy of your xorg.conf file in your /etc/X11/ directory?

It will usually be named something like xorg.conf~ or xorg.conf.backup.

If not, there should be a tool you can use to create a new one from scratch.

EDIT: You mean KDS Visual Sensations?

15" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...cs&vi=tech-data

17" http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...ata&me=standard

yes I have xorg.conf~ in the X11 dir, I went through some commands I know from DOS to navigate to teh dir but I couldnt find the command to delete the current xorg.conf and rename the bu to xorg.conf.

mv xorg.conf xorg.conf.bad

cp xorg.conf~ xorg.conf

You must have root permissions to do this.

Also, if you have made several modifications to your xorg.conf file, then even the backup may not work. Keep your fingers crossed!

I havent made any changes to the xorg file since it stopped work, and I only changed one number there so this should work, thanks mark.

Ya, thats what I was trying to do but I cant find my moniors specifications anywhere. Maybe you guys can help? Its a KDS Visual Sensations that built in Nov 2000

edit:nm i got your link now

Whats the best Linux program to use??? Ive tried a few of them and some dont work on a windows network, while others do. Which OS should I use?

Im currently using Ubuntu and although theres been a couple snags its been pretty easy. Id reccomend it. But there may be a better distro for you.

Im confused about installing programs, I hear people talking about apt-get n stuff, can anyone give me a guide to this? Im confused as to weather you have to download some files first or it pulls the information as to where to get them from from a file on the hdd or a database on some server or what

apt-get just retrieves a database of available stuff to install from the sources you have in the /etc/apt/sources.list file.

There are the default Ubuntu sources and you add some more if you want, just edit the file.

Ok guys, I screwed myself again. I was installing the Linux ATI drivers and it created a new xorg.conf file, I save dteh otehr one in BU and I would just replace it, if I could. I seem to have changed my root password, and I dont know what to. The password I have been using all along is Pepsi (no Im not afraid to share it, I dont use it for anything else) and I went into the users/groups panel through administration and I saw that the password in there was too long to be any password I was using so I figured Id jus change it to Pepsi too, so I did and I rebooted to see that new xorg.conf file I just made through ATI driver install, so the xorg file was screwed, it gave me this wrong monitor info and screwed my keyboard up so I was just gonna change it back, when my sudo password doesnt work anymore. Ive tried every case, everypassword ive ever used and nothing. Am I effed?

Ok guys, I screwed myself again...

...Am I effed?

586076224[/snapback]

No. :) You are not effed. :p

You can boot into "singleuser" mode (sort of Linux's commandprompt safe mode), and reset the root password to whatever you like.

http://mirrors.techiesabode.com/linuxgazette/107/tomar.html

This describes many methods. If you use GRUB, just follow the GRUB part, and you will be just fine.

So what I need to do is go to the GRUB menu, press e on my ubuntu default boot, press e on the kernel line, add single init=?bin?bash and press enter then press b to boot and i should be in ass root. So then I open terminal and typw passwd and it asks me for a pass and i just enter one and reboot

EDIT: Ok I do this and i put in the new password of pepsi and it says accepted or whatever, then when Im in ubuntu and I try to use a sudo command or log in at root it says password incorrect. also in terminal when i do passwd and it asks me for my current UNIX password i type what i just did (pepsi) and it doesnt accept it. wtf!

Edited by TheTerminator

ok installed fedora core 4 but first problem and i am sure there will be lots is my moniotr wasent supported and i am stuck in 800*600 and its impossible to work in, my monitor is a LGX172 or something like that, what do i do to get it supported or at least just put this up to 128081024

edit : looked at the early posts now :pinch: , ill have a look and see if i can get it working but any advice would be cool. DAmm so many options, stay away from simlple windows i must, its pulling me back guys. :o

Edited by Spyker

^It get's easier, I've found setting it up one of the hardest things to do, but once everythings up and running it's lovely. Just stick with it for at least 2 weeks and use it as regularly as you can and you'll grow to love it I can almost promise you.

what does sudo mean? Im assuming Super User Do ....command.....

586059216[/snapback]

Unofficial, but most likely correct: :p

su = super user

sudo = super user do

When you use the terminal to 'su <command>', you're logged into a super user's account unless you say otherwise.

'sudo <command>' from a terminal will prompt you for a password, perform the command, and then go back to being whatever user you were before

edit(big one): i fixed the res problem, just took a few atempts, one question how you get a new "explorer window" to open in the old one, when lookig through folders, i carnt seem to find the option

Edited by Spyker

edit(big one): i fixed the res problem, just took a few atempts, one question how you get a new "explorer window" to open in the old one, when lookig through folders, i carnt seem to find the option

586087448[/snapback]

Open gconf-editor, then go / > apps > nautilus > preferences

and make sure 'always use browser' is ticked.