Boy, 4, dies after riding Epcot attraction

Tuesday, June 14, 2005 Posted: 1:18 PM EDT (1718 GMT)

Boy, 4, dies after riding Epcot attraction

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Florida (AP) -- A 4-year-old boy died after passing out aboard Walt Disney World's "Mission: Space," a ride so intense that it has motion sickness bags and several riders have been treated for chest pain.

Daudi Bamuwamye passed out Monday afternoon on the attraction, which simulates a rocket launch and trip to Mars. The Orange County Sheriff's Office said his mother carried him off the ride and employees helped her place him on a bench.

Paramedics and a theme park worker tried to revive him, but he died at Celebration Hospital.

The sheriff's office said the boy met the minimum 44-inch height requirement for the ride at the Epcot theme park, which uses centrifugal force to simulate twice the normal force of gravity.

An autopsy was expected Tuesday to determine the cause of the boy's death.

Officials said the boy from Sellersville, Pennsylvania, was on the ride with his mother, Agnes, and a sister.

During the ride, the mother noticed that Daudi's body was rigid and his legs were stretched straight out. She told detectives that she thought he was frightened so she took his hand.

"When the ride ended, the victim was limp and unresponsive in his seat," according to a sheriff's office report.

The $100 million ride, one of Disney World's most popular, was closed after the death but was reopened Tuesday after company engineers concluded that it was operating normally.

In 2003, Disney began placing motion sickness bags in the ride.

During an eight-month period in 2003-04, six people over age 55 were taken to hospitals for treatment of chest pain and nausea after riding "Mission: Space," though none of them was found to have any serious problem.

At that time, it was the most hospital visits for a single ride since Florida's major theme parks agreed in 2001 to report such problems to the state Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services. Updated figures were not immediately available.

One other death was reported at Disney World this year. A 77-year-old woman who was in poor health from diabetes and several ministrokes died in February after going on the Pirates of the Caribbean ride at the Magic Kingdom. A medical examiner's report said her death "was not unexpected."

Signs warn visitors about the intensity of the "Mission: Space" ride.

"For safety you should be in good health, and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness or other conditions that can be aggravated by this adventure," one sign on view last year said. Signs also warn pregnant women not to go on the ride.

Florida's major parks are not directly regulated by the Department of Agriculture; state law exempts large, permanent amusement parks that have their own inspectors from state oversight. But the parks agreed to share safety information in 2001.

Disney officials said in a statement after the boy's death that they were "providing support to the family and are doing everything we can to help them during this difficult time."

CNN

I must say, when i went on that ride i thought that it was very intence.

If I recall correctly, is that the roller coaster ride that hurls you into a nearly pitch black dome? That was one hell of a fun ride. :happy:

(If it's not, maybe it's one of those rides with the simulator screens and rocking passenger cars...)

If I recall correctly, is that the roller coaster ride that hurls you into a nearly pitch black dome? That was one hell of a fun ride.  :happy:

(If it's not, maybe it's one of those rides with the simulator screens and rocking passenger cars...)

586066052[/snapback]

i think you're talking about Space Mountain at Disneyland.... Epcot is in Disneyworld... but ive never been to disneyworld, so i dunno... going to be going in december though, cant wait!

i think you're talking about Space Mountain at Disneyland.... Epcot is in Disneyworld... but ive never been to disneyworld, so i dunno... going to be going in december though, cant wait!

586066087[/snapback]

Maybe I got the name wrong. Yes I think it's Space Mountain, but I remember it was in Epcot.

If only I could rewind time back 3 years...

There's a 44-inch height requirement, but I'm not sure if there's an age requirement.

Isn't there a age / height limit for these rides?

586066368[/snapback]

he passed the hight limit.

sounds so intense i gotta try it out lol.

Space mountain is in epcot which is in Disneyworld which is in orlando florida. Question is Who in their right mind would take their 4 yr old son on that ride?

Space mountain is in epcot which is in Disneyworld which is in orlando florida.  Question is Who in their right mind would take their 4 yr old son on that ride?

586066441[/snapback]

Space Mountain is not in Epcot, it is in the Magic Kingdom park.

The large circular golf-ball figure epcot is notorious for is called Spaceship Earth, and is hardly a rollercoast, and since circa 2002 the only other thrill ride at epcot was Test-Track (a GM vehicle testing simulator), he must be mistaken on the epcot part. :yes:

I've been on that a few times... and it IS pretty intense. I wouldn't bring a SEVEN-year-old on there, much less a 4-year-old. The thing literally spins you at (what I assume is) several hundred miles an hour in a chair to simulate the g-forces during a rocket takeoff... and it can pull a little hard.

Celebration hospital? Lol. Unlucky about the kid though, 4 year old on a ride like that? As DeepThought says its way to extreme for a kid to be on..

586067997[/snapback]

celebration is the name of a town that borders Lake Buena Vista, where is where disney is really. there all suburbs of orlando. :p

Maybe I got the name wrong. Yes I think it's Space Mountain, but I remember it was in Epcot.

If only I could rewind time back 3 years...

586066130[/snapback]

Both wrong. Space Mountain is in Disneyworld in FL in The Magic Kingdom.

Space mountain is also in Disney Land Paris (I've only been there say 8 times in less than 7 years :whistle:) . But letting a four year old go on a ride like that : / ... wtf were the parents thinking?

Exactly. The family that took him on that ride must feel some guilt.

586069163[/snapback]

Guilt, nay, sadness probably. It's their own son!

4 years old is a bit young for a ride of that caliber though... I think 8-12 years would've been more appropriate.