Boy, 4, dies after riding Epcot attraction

Both wrong.? Space Mountain is in Disneyworld in FL in The Magic Kingdom.

586069176[/snapback]

It's also in Disneyland (Paris, Anaheim, and Tokyo). Well, the one in Anaheim is closed right now, but it's there. Not in Epcot, though.

If anyone wants to get informed on this, and not just spill inane, assinine comments, go here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=57699

Mission:Space is a ride at Epcot, in Walt Disney World, which is located in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.

Space Mountain is located in the following theme parks:

Magic Kingdom Park, Lake Buena Vista, Florida

Disneyland, Anahiem, California

Disneyland Paris, France

Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo, Japan

(soon) Hong Kong Disneyland, Hong Kong, China

The boy did NOT die on Space Mountain.

Mission:Space uses a centrifuge to spin guests at up to 3.5x the normal amount of gravity. It also simulates zero G for a while. When the attraction was originally opened, it did almost 5Gs, but it was tamed down before its official opening. The ride uses the same technology that fighter pilots and astronauts are trained on.

There are probably a hundred different warning signs before you go on, and they make it very clear to keep your eyes open, look straight ahead, and focus on the video they are showing. They even have Gary Sinese, who does the introduction preshow, tell guests that it is an intense ride, and the warnings are read out loud. The responsibility for the child's death has to fall on the parents, because there is no way they can say they missed the warnings.

I have ridden Mission:Space probably 25 times, including the day before the incident. That was my last day of my 10 day vacation. The ride is safe. If people choose to not heed the warnings, its their own fault. 8.6 million people have ridden the attraction in the less than 2 years it has been open.

If anyone wants to get informed on this, and not just spill inane, assinine comments, go here:

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/showthread.php?t=57699

Mission:Space is a ride at Epcot, in Walt Disney World, which is located in Lake Buena Vista, Florida.

Space Mountain is located in the following theme parks:

Magic Kingdom Park, Lake Buena Vista, Florida

Disneyland, Anahiem, California

Disneyland Paris, France

Tokyo Disneyland, Tokyo, Japan

(soon) Hong Kong Disneyland, Hong Kong, China

The boy did NOT die on Space Mountain.

Mission:Space uses a centrifuge to spin guests at up to 3.5x the normal amount of gravity. It also simulates zero G for a while. When the attraction was originally opened, it did almost 5Gs, but it was tamed down before its official opening. The ride uses the same technology that fighter pilots and astronauts are trained on.

There are probably a hundred different warning signs before you go on, and they make it very clear to keep your eyes open, look straight ahead, and focus on the video they are showing. They even have Gary Sinese, who does the introduction preshow, tell guests that it is an intense ride, and the warnings are read out loud. The responsibility for the child's death has to fall on the parents, because there is no way they can say they missed the warnings.

I have ridden Mission:Space probably 25 times, including the day before the incident. That was my last day of my 10 day vacation. The ride is safe. If people choose to not heed the warnings, its their own fault. 8.6 million people have ridden the attraction in the less than 2 years it has been open.

586069287[/snapback]

Yep, thats all right. I've been to the parks 100's of times, and went on the Mission: Space ride on the opening day :D (before they toned it down a bit after the first death), and I seriously hope they dont pull that again... it's a great ride, but it was fine the way it was the first day it opened! :no:

Definitly not a ride a 4 year old should have been on anyways that rides intense. But none the less i went on it about 7 times lol.

it was put out by HP and NASA... it give you the same feeling as going though a space lauch.

Link

the parents should have know better

586066427[/snapback]

The parents should have known better? What are you dumb? Seriously.. How would they have known? Does the average joe who goes to Disney World knows whats made by who and what effects it produces? No.

They see a ride and the the minimum requirements. If you meet them, you go on it. They did just that and the kid died from it.

I put the blame on the makers of that ride.

'You must be this tall to get on this ride.'

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Anybody who isn't a moron will realise that 'you must be this tall' is not a very scientific way to decide who can jump on to a potentially violent ride. They set a general guide line, and you have to use this crazy thing called COMMON SENSE beyond that.

If you go back a page, you'll see somebody's post pointing out how the ride has about a bajillion warnings before you get on, and even if it didn't, you've got to be pretty retarded to think 'oh, i'm 44 inches tall, i guess that means i'm untouchable'.

The parents should have known better? What are you dumb? Seriously.. How would they have known? Does the average joe who goes to Disney World knows whats made by who and what effects it produces? No.

They see a ride and the the minimum requirements. If you meet them, you go on it. They did just that and the kid died from it.

I put the blame on the makers of that ride.

586069826[/snapback]

I put no blame on anyone.

When it comes to extreme rides or extreme sports they're safe for 90% of the able bodied population. We want them that way, those of us able bodied enough like getting a thrill.

That said there will be members of the population that just can't ride a car, jump out of a plane, see flashing lights, or ride a ride.

So at that point you have three options:

a) Make nothing extreme or fun and cater to the weakest of society. (And I don't mean to be rude by weak, but everyone is just not built the same)

b) Require expensive physicals before each ride, which most people would just claim being unconstitutional or a breach of thier privacy, would annoy those who are fit enough to do said things, and just cause the attraction to not make any money and go under.

c) Warn people of the dangers and allow them to use thier own judgement after knowing the risks. Note there really is no minimum requirements for anything that you could establish that would be accurate all the time.

I think c is the best option. It's sad the boy died but before getting on something like this the parents should have checked it out more. Even then though I don't really think the parents are responsible because it was probably a freak accident, afterall the vast majority of people are fine to go on the ride. It's a sad scenario but I think it falls under "Act of God" type stuff, although I don't think God really had a role in it, I just use that to describe something happening that you just had no way of knowing really.

On a rise that like that, one parent should go on and find out for themselves and then determine if they think its safe for the child.

I hope a lawsuit doesn't appear for this.

but does anyone else think 44-inches sounds quite tall for a 4 year old

586067746[/snapback]

Yes it does. Maybe they need weight minimums as well for attraction rides. To me a 4 year old on something that extreme just doesn't make sense.

It's really sad for something like this to happen, but with all of those warnings before the ride, I agree that they could have at least test riden it themselves just to see how it is.

'You must be this tall to get on this ride.'

ARE YOU KIDDING ME? Anybody who isn't a moron will realise that 'you must be this tall' is not a very scientific way to decide who can jump on to a potentially violent ride. They set a general guide line, and you have to use this crazy thing called COMMON SENSE beyond that.

If you go back a page, you'll see somebody's post pointing out how the ride has about a bajillion warnings before you get on, and even if it didn't, you've got to be pretty retarded to think 'oh, i'm 44 inches tall, i guess that means i'm untouchable'.

586069971[/snapback]

No I'm not kidding you. In my post you won't even find the word "tall". I said minimum requirements, not body height. Minimum requirements not only include height but also the warnings such as

- Not for the people with heart problems or "x" health issues. You usually see these messages for top notch coasters and high sensation rides.

For most people who want to initially go on a ride, if they meet the min. height req, it should be enough to say that it's safe assuming that they got no health problems.

Common sense? Wanna talk about common sense?

If any of those warning messages could of saved the kid's life by not letting the parents send their child on a last ride, the article would of mentioned it. The article would in that case have something like "Although the kid was tall enough, he had "x" issues and the ride's warning sign did mention that the affected ppl shouldn't.... blablabla". That's not the case here now is it. All the article said he was tall enough and he was good to go or at least that's what the parents thought.

Common sense? Yeah I bet if u were the dad of this child you wouldn't of known any better but it's easy to blame the victims isn't it?

I agree! I put my very small 5 year old on it, who by the way, passed the height requirements. She loved it! probably her favorite ride there. I dont' think any blame should be put on anyone. The boy was probably ok on every other ride that he passedt he height requirements for so how would the mother know this ride would have been any different? It was just a freak accident. And before everybody goes putting blame on the mother and calling her stupid they should wait to find out the autopsy report. Maybe, in fact, the boy did have some unknown health issues prior to riding this! Maybe it scared the "life outta him" (no pun intended). I believe the ride is safe! and yes I did ride it as well. It is scary, no doubt, but you know that before you get on! Overall, I think it's just a freak accident that occurred.

That ride was awesome, been there every year. The ride is very intense, takes a toll on your body. I mean you cant even left your hand up (barely) while the ride is going. Specially when you have to hit those buttons(specific job)