Red meat increases bowel cancer risk

BEIJING, June 16 (Xinhuanet)-- A new study found that people who eat two or more portions of red meat a day increases their chances of getting bowel cancer by 35 percent compared with those who only eat meat once a week.

In a study of 478,040 men and women aged 35 to 70 from 10 European countries, the European Prospective Investigation into Cancer and Nutrition (EPIC) reported that eating 160 grams or more of red and processed meat daily led to a 35% increased risk for colorectal cancer when compared with eating 20 gramsless per day.

The study also said fish is protective, giving a reduction in risk of a third for those who eat fish every other day.

Chicken, however, was a no-show, with no effect at all, the researchers reported in the June 15 issue of the Journal of the National Cancer Institute.

Sheila Bingham, study investigator at the UK's Medical Research Council nutrition unit, said: "People have suspected for some time that high levels of red and processed meat increase risk of bowel cancer, but this is one of the largest studies worldwide and the first from Europe of this type to show a strong relationship."

The study also took other factors into account such as smoking, excess alcohol consumption, lack of physical activity and obesity.

Colorectal cancer is the most common cancer after lung cancer in men and after breast cancer in women. In 2002, more than 1 million cases of colorectal cancer were diagnosed around the world, and more than half a million people died from the disease.

OmG more cancer causeing stuff proof alone that the human body is never realy ment to live past 30

586071805[/snapback]

**** *slap* don't say things like that, I don't have much longer to live then. :o

Wake up and smell the coffee. Everything increases the chances of having some form of cancer from smoking to pepsi/coca-cola to even steamed hot-dogs.

2+ red meat meals every day is a lot of red meat. You gotta balance the things out and those ppl don't.

In other news, the sun is hot.

**** *slap* don't say things like that, I don't have much longer to live then.  :o

586071812[/snapback]

its true why when people hit their 30's they deni their age and begin trying to look younger then at 35 or so the regeneration prosess begins to slow down thus we decay wile'st being alive

Rainman is right. 2+ red meat meals per day is more than 14 red meat meals per week, compared to the one on the other side. I think it is badly worded at least, deceptive at most.. to compare 2+ times a day to once per week.

Nothing like a good blockage to make me get out more fiber to blow up Mr Fudgie out of my buttocks. :x , But i love my "RedMeat" and plus i live in Texas so theres tons of meat to eat ...... :devil:

Time to move under a rock. Better not let that sun touch our skin either!

586071888[/snapback]

***THIS JUST IN, shade may increase the risk of cancer

so much for your rock