WFXCobalt Skin

Hi,

just look at this skin, based on a screenshot from XPCobalt form stardocks. Where can i find more information about this skin from Stardock(screenshots, etc...)! Want to change the windows-style!

Cool Joe

Hi Joe. One thing you should probably try avoiding is to "rip" from other skins. It's going to be an important issue as the XP skinning community grows - to treat fellow skinners work with respect.

Being inspired is one thing but you'll want to make sure that when you create something you use yur own work or at least get the permission of the original author. In the case of Cobalt, that would be Alexandrie. She spent a lot of time working on it.

I think it's very important for Frogboy to keep his comments to himself as PPL can do whatever it wishes.

If you want to talk about respect, we can talk about lack of respect of Windowscrap from the community.

Originally posted by kawai

I think it's very important for Frogboy to keep his comments to himself as PPL can do whatever it wishes.

If you want to talk about respect, we can talk about lack of respect of Windowscrap from the community.

kawai, Brad has just as much right to say whatever the hell he wants on here. obviously you're biased. i seriously hope you're like 13, as you don't act any older than that.

obvously, he is trying to make a style for himself and for those who are interested that's all.

He is not claiming he designed anything. I just don't think there is anything wrong with people changning other people's theme as they see fit for personal use.

Originally posted by Frogboy

Hi Joe. One thing you should probably try avoiding is to "rip" from other skins. It's going to be an important issue as the XP skinning community grows - to treat fellow skinners work with respect.

Being inspired is one thing but you'll want to make sure that when you create something you use yur own work or at least get the permission of the original author. In the case of Cobalt, that would be Alexandrie. She spent a lot of time working on it.

Frogboy, I think your jumping to conclusions.Who said he was going to rip her skin?Editing a skin for personal use is not ripping.

Well.... Frogboy is right, even I, in one of my posts said that "my" watercolor skin was a port of the original MS made. It's only polite at least to say where the skin originated from, and at best get permission, but I know if I asked MS I wouldnt get a reply, and others have ported the skin to WB.. so I dont see a problem :)

BTW he did say a skin from stardock (which isnt exact, but at least he said it was being copied from elsewhere) but it would be nice to mention the author :)

First off, I didn't accuse him of ripping. I said it would be a good idea to avoid ripping. The worst thing that could occur in a new skinning movement would be for ripping to occur.

Ripping isn't a term I came up with. It's when someone redistributes someone elses work without permission. Giving credit is not considered enough. OS stuff is generally considered okay but skins made by individuals is a different matter.

Yelling at me isn't going to change that fact. IF, and that is the operative word, IF people started ripping other people's stuff, things would get ugly out of hand.

Let me give you an example, this last Spring some guy uploaded a modified WinAmp skin called "Sputnik" to WinAmp.com. It was a "rip". When the author didn't immediately remove it, several thousand people jumped onto WinAmp.com and just flamed the guy. It was very ugly. And I mean thousands plural. There's like a few dozen people posting here right now, imagine seeing a few thousand new people on here nearly overnight. Artists are really...funny about this kind thing.

Another example, a guy ported a skin to WindowBlinds from the Mac program called Kaleidoscope a couple of years ago. When it was discovered that permission wasn't given, about 50 to 60 fanatical Mac Kaleidoscope users jumped onto skinz.org and just went berzerk turning Skinz.org's message board into a war zone for weeks.

These hard core people, particularly the Mac ones, consider me little better than a "Thief" because I argued that the best route to solve the problem would have been a polite private email rather than hundreds of emails threatening lawsuits and other nastiness.

This is why I am suggesting that we all be careful to AVOID letting any rips get posted here. Besides the fact that it would be unethical to do it.

BTW, Pabuk, thanks for the great support there. "Not well liked by most". Two newbies here (October registers) keep flaming me. I know having software developers on here must just be torture. I mean, they have such good reason not to like me too, with all that flaming and stuff I do.. :cool:

Im pretty sure that cool joe is trying to avoiding ripping skins.He said he wanted to edit them.He never said anything about uploading them.But I agree with you.Ripping is wrong.He should avoid ripping.I was around when sputnik skin was ripped and i was one of those who flamed the guy for it :p

I remember the sputnik incident as well *cough from flaming on treetogs behalf as well* but that is an entirely different situation than the one here. Sputnik was ENTIRELY original and the person that ripped it just basically changed the colour and renamed it. The point in question being that the theme sputnik was ORIGINAL *actually work of art tends to come to mind* meanwhile wfxcobalt isnt. Now let me clarify, I'm not saying that wfxcobalt isn't good I'm just saying that seeing as how it can be conceived as a rip from luna itself there shouldn't even be an argument cool joe wanting to make a THEME based on it. If thats the case then you should smack Alexandrie on the wrist for having the nerve to make a rip of luna. It goes both ways

Originally posted by Wickedkitten

I remember the sputnik incident as well *cough from flaming on treetogs behalf as well* but that is an entirely different situation than the one here. Sputnik was ENTIRELY original and the person that ripped it just basically changed the colour and renamed it. The point in question being that the theme sputnik was ORIGINAL *actually work of art tends to come to mind* meanwhile wfxcobalt isnt. Now let me clarify, I'm not saying that wfxcobalt isn't good I'm just saying that seeing as how it can be conceived as a rip from luna itself there shouldn't even be an argument cool joe wanting to make a THEME based on it. If thats the case then you should smack Alexandrie on the wrist for having the nerve to make a rip of luna. It goes both ways

XPCobalt (the original skin which has been ripped) is not based on Luna and looks nothing like it. It is an original work produced by Alexandrie.

wfxcobalt seems to be a combination of luna & XPCobalt (taken from some screenshots of it released)

Hello everyone at NeoWin.

First of all; I'm not affiliated with Stardock in any way. I'm just a poor former Amiga user :) I wanted to state this before the flaming begins.

After reading many threads on this board and others I cannot understand the rage against the decent people who tries to build a platform on which we all can build on.

Allthough I'm new to the PC(Windows) I can understand especially Frogboy - and here's why: I previously used an Amiga to create skins for a program called VisualPrefs- the only skinning program for the Amiga and I always asked permission from other authors to modify any of their skins(on the Amiga side). Behind every skin is alot of work - so the simplest thing that anyone can do is ask for permission from an author of ANY original skin ;) And stop the ripping unless there is a clear understanding between both parties.

Perhaps one of the problems is that the "Windows-skinning"- community is too big!??

I'm currently using WinXP and StyleXP with great pleasure.

Thx

Fonzie

Hi,

I do computer graphics for more than 20 years, and there are no new designs or whatever out there. I think when the skin(s) is(are) finished only some buttons will look like XPCobalt.

Just look the at the many aqua like skins!

New screenshot (New Name for the skin "WEBfactorX")

well I have seen 2 threads, all about rip. I'm the original author of XPCobalt (I made a blue, green and yellow one)

I feel like everyone is getting ready to rip without care about the work of anyone. I hope things will not go so far.....I hope.

Originally posted by Alexandrie

well I have seen 2 threads, all about rip. I'm the original author of XPCobalt (I made a blue, green and yellow one)

I feel like everyone is getting ready to rip without care about the work of anyone. I hope things will not go so far.....I hope.

My. You WindowBlinds people are quite stuck up. Are you afraid to see some little third party skinning application overthrow your reign? So much for your deal with Microsoft. If you enter the arena, you have to be prepared to fight. WindowBlinds 3 is just as buggy as WB2 (I had it installed at one time, so I KNOW, and I can provide examples).

And let me guess why you registered yesterday - Frogboy sent you.

All people are doing here is trying to put your skins to better use. Instead of a handful of people being able to use them, we are making them usable for everyone who has Windows XP. Plus, I don't care what you say, but WindowBlinds IS inherently slower than the native XP format. It's not the skins. It's the damn engine. I think you had a good idea with WindowBlinds, but a lack of any speed or bug improvements over the coarse of this many years will render any company (unless it's a monopoly, like M$) withered and dead.

WindowBlinds - shape up or ship out.