Neowin's server is faltering, but there is something you can do about

After tolerating many "server is busy" messages, I've had enough and decided to suggest some actions that can alleviate the load on the server, making it a win-win situation for everyone.

Part A: HostTyme and Neowin's administrators (in step-by-step)

1) Delete threads that are more than one year old. After all... who is going to visit those anyway? (Edit: My apologies to those who say that Linux FS doesn't require defrag... I'm a total Linux n00b, you see)

2) Delete zero-post members who were just here to view attachmentsthat existed in the babes forum.

Note: 1 and 2 will save space on the server. After that has been done, proceed to 3

3) Defrag the server -- it has been proven to increase performance significantly. Do this at weekly intervals.

4) Optimize the server with anything possible.

Part B: Users

1) Decrease frequencies of visiting the site. Visit the site once every hour at most.

2) For those of you with Matrox's "Neowin Forum Checker," and set it up to refresh every five minutes, increase the interval between queries. Matrox: Time to go to your drawing board on this proggie... I like it, but it DOES need some work.

3) Delete PM's that you no longer want. That will save space on the server and help HostTyme and the mods out on their part.

4) Unsuscribe to any threads that you are no longer interested in. That, too, will relieve the load on the servers.

If everyone acts accordingly to this suggestion, then Neowin's load will be alleviated and things will run smoothly for everyone.

do u know that if we delete all the inactive memebers we lose like 500 members? i dunno if there are all over a year of being inactive...but there are that many inactive.

It does seem to be a good idea to get ride rid of in-active posts but dleting in-active members? Some previous members have known to leave for like two years and suddenly make a comeback so that is my concern.

Good points, but better then deleting inactive members over a year old,maybe just delete users who have been registered for over 6 months with no posts.

Maybe have stricter policy on users to behave or get banned, then neowin is #0 (better then number 1 lol :p ):rolleyes:

i'm tired of this... it's bodering me!

the two first options are to being considerated by the admins...

i think the admins should think of an upgrade or if there's no money for that you got to take some action(s) so this problem is resolved

1 & 2 are both concerned with disk space issues. Since we have about 40gb to work with and we have 5 gb used, this isn't really an issue.

3 we can't even do becuase this is a linux-based server. if you know a RELIABLE defrag tool for linux, i'd like to hear it....

on the 2 for users, i really don't think even having that tool out is a good idea. our server is strained enough and we might just have to find a way to start blocking it at this rate...

Originally posted by timdorr

1 & 2 are both concerned with disk space issues. Since we have about 40gb to work with and we have 5 gb used, this isn't really an issue.

3 we can't even do becuase this is a linux-based server. if you know a RELIABLE defrag tool for linux, i'd like to hear it....

on the 2 for users, i really don't think even having that tool out is a good idea. our server is strained enough and we might just have to find a way to start blocking it at this rate...

the mods have spoken :evil:

What about turning down new users from signing up?... I don't like the idea that much but its better than having the server down.

i dunno about turning new users down because like timdorr said they got space on the server itself....but i wonder how can neowin keep up with itself such as other larger forums? i forgot the name of the one but its got a **** load more users....anychance of knowin how they do it?

Originally posted by spyderman450

What about turning down new users from signing up?... I don't like the idea that much but its better than having the server down.

i don't think that's a good idea! something has to be done but i don't think that's a good solution

Originally posted by JZolloXP

I say prevent guests from viewing the forum...just a thought.

man damn... that isn't a solution... before i registered and many others i bet were just guests for some weeks and then registered

Originally posted by BroChaos

so it's strictly a bw issue, right?

nope, it's a load issue. we've got tons of bw, just not the server to handle it all...

Originally posted by username

are the dual P3s at 100%?

yes, and they're going to be that way for a while... :p

hmm, have you considered maybe creating a source of income for the site.

like a support page with banners too click or something, i know i personally would take the time to click thoose banners once a day.

you could also reduce the amount of data is pulled out of the db on each page.

Perhaps if we all donated some cash to buy a dedicated SQL server.

I'd be willing to put foward $5, if everyone donates at least $5, that'd be enough to run another server.

Or, advertising is always a possibility, i'd be willing to view some ads, as long as it could generate some money.

nope, it's a load issue. we've got tons of bw, just not the server to handle it all...

ahh, gotcha. thanks.

what about the t-shirts? anyway to make a small profit from them? say if they cost 7 bucks each to make, charge us 10 + 3 shipping and handling or something like that? sell a couple hundred shirts and thats a pretty decent chunk of money.