Neowin's server is faltering, but there is something you can do about

Originally posted by Mr magoo

people; as timdorr said the majority of problemos are not space related; they arent bandwidth related; there related to the physical power of the processors we have, and they are also related to the fact that neowin would do better with a dedicated server for sql to work in tandem with the webserver.

That is what would speed up the site- and i believe hosts and the heavenly bodies that are the webmasters here are on the case.

:old:

i hope that people can tell that mr magoo isnt lying. just see the stats for yourself. quite self spanitory

Originally posted by ziddey

NO GOOD

then you lose post count, user count and all that :D

I wasn't suggesting that that alone will solve the problem, just that it would help.

Otherwise the other choice is to add a server to take up the slack...Which in my opinion is probably what needs to be done.

Note to the masses, the following was posted on the old server thread by Tyme, the Neowin Sponsor Host...

Originally posted by Tyme

You know it's time to expand when I can't post when I want to! LOL

I am going to have to have a chat with Redmak and Neobond about expansion. I need a clear idea on what features they want to implement, the scripting, etc so I can get the correct server and software.

I do want to explain that what Redmak did was wise to protect their database. If the server crashes, it could cause database errors, so it is better to turn people away (as much as I hate to do it) then crash the server.

We will work it out, so please be patient.

HostTyme

Moderator: GeekTalk

I think that says very clearly they are working on these problems...we all just need to wait out this period of problems until they can get a new solution in place.

Originally posted by timdorr

I'd like it to be installed, but it's up to our server ops to do that. I suppose we can pass on the idea...

yeah... thats the bad thing with Zend Optimizer... also it costs a bomb :-/

but... with caching you can set up a cronjob to do it... as much as i hate them... they can come useful... sure they would let you run a cronjob...

MdSalih

Maybe Zend would give the accelerator for free since Neowin is non-profit?

Maybe there needs to be a better bulletin board like Invision board, it runs faster and is more optimized. There is also a converter from VBulletin to it if I am not mistaken.

Tyme: Please don't be offended from this thread. I'm merely trying to point out ways that could make this site's experience better. Just for hosting this great site w/o any charge... I'm sold. If I ever host any sites, then you guys will be the first people I turn to. Keep up the good work!

Maybe there needs to be a better bulletin board like Invision board, it runs faster and is more optimized. There is also a converter from VBulletin to it if I am not mistaken.

I definately agree with you there zivan! IBForums is faster, smaller, more customisable, easier to use AND nicer to look at!!!

And if you havent got a mySQL server, just use the Perl version, although it is a tad slower..:cool:

Depending...have you all considered upgrading to phpBB2? They have a VBB Converter I beleive...

In all my tests it does seem to be much faster than VBBS...

If anyone wants to know, to check the server stats, just type any old word instead of www in the url

eg://

stats.neowin.net

chickenrifle.neowin.net

or even

idontlikepigsastheycantflybutcowscansoilikethembetter.neowin.net

Anything will do. Just chose ur personal preference

Good god, suggesting IBF or phpBB over vB is ludicrous. IBF would crash after the first 100 people logged on simultaneously. You know you can't push a 100% for long on those processors, not healthy. To lessen the load for now, try disabling the search function or at the very least disable the FULL forum search. Only allow one forum to be searched at a time. Then disable the PM features for now, if people want to communicate they can use email or the forum. I know I'll get crucified for this one, but how about killing of sigs for now. All just temporary solutions until you can resolve the server load issues.

Perhaps kill the Active Threads and Welcome (With PM Notification) on the main neowin.net site. That way you're lowering the DB Querys to the forum without interfering with the true form itself...

Originally posted by Cara

Perhaps kill the Active Threads and Welcome (With PM Notification) on the main neowin.net site. That way you're lowering the DB Querys to the forum without interfering with the true form itself...

The Main site isnt the problem here.

Main site = 7 Queries (Registered) and 6 (Anonymous)

Forums = 26 Queries @ board index

I think we can safely say that the main page is ok (for now)

Originally posted by Neobond

yeh the main page always loads fine, just when coming to the board recently some problems have arisen.

I know that if it came to it i wouldn't mind offering some money to Neowin via a PayPal account, love this community too much!

Originally posted by Neobond

Hm...

*returns to her thinking on a solution*

Originally posted by sunnyy4

Tyme: Please don't be offended from this thread. I'm merely trying to point out ways that could make this site's experience better. Just for hosting this great site w/o any charge... I'm sold. If I ever host any sites, then you guys will be the first people I turn to. Keep up the good work!

errr either you have no idea what you speaketh or your terminology is bad. hehe :D