The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Originally posted by Impulfusion

if neowin start doing this everyday... i'll change forums...

oh no..please dont go...:right:

Originally posted by Impulfusion

but are the files on the neowin's server?

no, everyone told their friends "hey, neowin has a link to sp1!" and started hitting up our server. Hosting that file wouldn't be a big deal, it's the resources required to display that link on the front page that hurts us...

Originally posted by timdorr

no, everyone told their friends "hey, neowin has a link to sp1!" and started hitting up our server. Hosting that file wouldn't be a big deal, it's the resources required to display that link on the front page that hurts us...

oh i see...

Disabling guest access = more signups and empty accounts or less attention for neowin. The boards contributed to our fame. TechTV pimps them all the time, disabling them will make it exclusive to members only. Something we dont really want to do.

I cant agree on closing our doors, we have already been forced to disable alot of interaction on Neowin (The prime reason for our existence, interaction) Anon commenting was switched off and recently polls too.. by disabling views for anon members will mean we force lurkers and even people like TechTV who use us as a resource to look elsewhere.

These people contribute in more ways that some of our members do yet they have no account here.

I see more regulary that alot of people "check out" Neowin for 5 months before creating an account. We don't force anything on people but it sure as hell is starting to look that way.

Originally posted by REBELinBLUE

I think disabling guests is a bad idea, as well as disabling old accounts. It basically gives the "Post or be deleted" attitude. People don't like that. Anyway inactive accounts aren't causing the problem, it's actually active accounts cause it is to do with the server load, i.e. the number of users who are logged in and using the board increase the server load

Why do you register at a board, you never look at?

I know I sometimes forgot the site, because I didn't bookmark it. Even though neowin.net is a easy name.

All I saying is people who came to this board who are logged in, so we know they came back, don't get deleted. And, yes there SHOULD be email sent to their inboxes warn or, reminding them I would like to call, about their inactivities!