Daylight Saving Time to Begin Earlier

WASHINGTON (AP) -- An agreement was reached Thursday to extend daylight-saving time in an effort to conserve energy, but not to the extent the House approved in April.

House and Senate negotiators on an energy bill agreed to begin daylight-saving time three weeks earlier, on the second Sunday in March, and extend it by one week to the first Sunday in November. The House bill would have added a month in the spring and another in the fall.

According to some senators, farmers complained that a two-month extension could adversely affect livestock, and airline officials said it would have complicated scheduling of international flights.

"We ought to take a hard look at this before we jump into it," said Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, who questioned how much oil savings the extension would produce.

Reps. Edward Markey, D-Massachusetts, and Fred Upton, R-Michigan, agreed to scale back their original proposal, and Senate negotiators accepted the new version, along with a call for a study on how much daylight-saving time actually affects oil consumption.

"The beauty of daylight-saving time is that it just makes everyone feel sunnier," said Markey.

Upton noted that the extension means daylight-saving time will continue through Halloween, adding to safety. "Kids across the nation will soon rejoice," said Upton, because they'll have another hour of daylight trick-or-treating.

Lawmakers said they hoped to complete the energy legislation next week.

S: http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/07/22/con...e.ap/index.html

Concerning farm lifestock, there's no reason they should be effected. The animals don't wear watches. The farmer just needs to get out and milk or what ever he is doing at the same time minus the daylight savings. So during day light savings he can just get up an hour earlier.

Concerning farm lifestock, there's no reason they should be effected. The animals don't wear watches. The farmer just needs to get out and milk or what ever he is doing at the same time minus the daylight savings. So during day light savings he can just get up an hour earlier.

586253165[/snapback]

i no, i was confused, its as if they are acting like this will change the rotation of the earth :blink:

Well does this effect the rest of the world or just the country itself lol. I mean -5 eastern in canada would be

-4 or -6. Would be hard on flights on other aspects.

I think the whole DST thing is a joke in modern times, anyway. Farmers just need to surrender to the system, adopt electricity, buy an alarm clock, and wake up an hour eariler/later, depending on the time of the year. I mean, do other countries use any form of DST?

I think the whole DST thing is a joke in modern times, anyway. Farmers just need to surrender to the system, adopt electricity, buy an alarm clock, and wake up an hour eariler/later, depending on the time of the year. I mean, do other countries use any form of DST?

586253413[/snapback]

Yea, tons.

Well does this effect the rest of the world or just the country itself lol. I mean -5 eastern in canada would be

-4 or -6. Would be hard on flights on other aspects.

586253427[/snapback]

Ontario is following suit with the US. A bill is being passed by the Legislature to make sure Ontario has its clocks in sync with our neighbours to the south. I guess its up to each province to decide on whether they want to stay the same or change their clocks.

Source

But are all of these countries following the same DST standards (starting and ending on the same days)?

586253449[/snapback]

Oh no, yea, every country has their own standard. Except the EU which has standized it. And I think all the former USSR countries are using the same standard too.

Will Microsoft have to release a patch so that Windows will automatically adjust for this new DST?

-- Edit --

And what about printed calendars?!?! You can't patch printed calendars! They'll all be WRONG and the world as we know it will be taken over by...by...oh, well...um...nevermind. :p

Edited by DMilner

Will Microsoft have to release a patch so that Windows will automatically adjust for for this new DST?

586253571[/snapback]

Whoa I didn't even think of that. They might have to.

Oh no, yea, every country has their own standard. Except the EU which has standized it. And I think all the former USSR countries are using the same standard too.

586253464[/snapback]

Heh, how confusing. I'm glad I never travel out of the country.

Does anyone know when this would take effect when the bill is signed? The CNN article didn't specify.

Next year, Indiana will use DST for the first year... ever.

I wonder how that will effect us. We already have our own setting in Date & Time Properties. We'll no longer be special. :p

"According to Congress' thinking, if Americans can wait an hour to turn on their lights at night, the nation should be able to conserve at least some energy."

Congress would think that way. If they turn their lights on later, but it's still dark in the morning, they're still going to use the same hour's worth of lights in the morning instead of the previous night. You use lights when it gets dark or is dark no matter what time it is.

This whole thing is just silly.

Many times when I wake up it has been light out for hours. So if they shift back by an hour, you would get an extra hour of light.

Please discontinue this BS we don't need DST it's so useless! Only to add more confusion and what about people like me with 7 clocks, would get really annoing uless they were all connected via wireless.

this all thing with changing time is pain in the @$$

we have a time and we should follow that time all year long, not go ever mile and change the clocks :no:

Please discontinue this BS we don't need DST it's so useless! Only to add more confusion and what about people like me with 7 clocks, would get really annoing uless they were all connected via wireless.

586303165[/snapback]

I for one like it still to be light out at 8pm

Yet another case of politicians abusing their power to do stupid things. I honestly dont see how this can hae any effect on energy conservation, it just shifts the usage to a different time of day. Now everything that automatically adjust for daylight savings time will be outdated. And last time i checked, kids LIKED to trick or treat in the dark.