Do you agree w/ the pledge of allegiance ruling?

49 members have voted

1. 1. Do you agree w/ the pledge of allegiance ruling?

• Yes
    • No

God is not a name, it's a title. It's not limited to one specific religion. God could be Allah, Buddha, Thor, Zeus...whatever or whomever a person happens to worship as a personal deity. I think most of the time most people link "God" with christianity, but that's innacurate.

Buddha was not, and is not, worshiped as a God. Buddhism is a way of life, like say, the Jedi.

But yeah, I get your point.

Originally posted by Evil

All HAIL THOR GOD OF LIGHTNING AND THUNDER!

See, this is what I'm talking about...lets go back to the old ways!

Originally posted by Marshalus

Buddha was not, and is not, worshiped as a God. Buddhism is a way of life, like say, the Jedi.

Well, it's 2:30 AM, and I was seriously drawing a blank on what religions I could come up with...but I don't know much about buddhism. Do they have ninja muppets with lightsabers' too? ;)

Incorrect, Buddha IS worshipped. He is not a God, per say, but he is worshipped as one, whether he is a god or not is not an issue. He is worshiped, and has been raised to the point of being a "god" in the most basic sense of the word. He is a figure that is raised as an idividual as the ideal persona of man. What makes him a NON-god?

The Jedi are a perfect example of a "religion" that has no God or god. That you are right about, but can anyone truely think of any REAL religion that has no individual raised as the supreme or perfect being? The only one I can think of is Scientology, which is a complete sham of a religion anyway.

As a non american I wonder, what are these people doing? Don't they have any thing better to do. It seems to me you guys have bigger issues that need to be resolved.

I'm sorry Crimsonblur...you are so off you kilter I can't type straight. Buddah IS NOT WORSHIPPED by those who are actually dedicated to the path...only by coffee shop denizens who gather half the fact. Buddah is respected as a teacher. Buddah is seen in many different aspects to help guide. But by no means will you EVER find one who is seriously dedicated willing to take any sort of worship-ness as a serious means of discussion...try again. Time to actually learn reality.

You may be correct that he is not worshipped, I did not phrase that right. All I meant was that he is held AS AN INDIVIDUAL in the highest regard possible. Meaning, in no purposful act of people the follow him he has become a godlike figure. Think about it, how many people DO mistake him as their God? There is a reason for that, I assume. He is regarded as a great teacher in their way of life, that's an understatement. He is THE teacher of their way of life, correct? Not in the literal sense that he stretches their legs for them and tells them how to raise their body heat by controlling their own metabolism, but still... I was just asking if anyone can think of a religion that does not have any one individual figure held inregard as the way people should or can be, or a being of suprime power....

You're right though, I am completely wrong to say that he is worshipped, that's silly of me to say considering I just watched a special on TLC about Buddhist Monks like two days ago! These are just my thoughts, I'm not saying I'm stating fact here...

I dont know a lot about your pledge of allegience , but all this type of Patriotic fervor , hands on hearts and flag waving is dangerous . It can easily get out of hand and bring out the fanatics.

The constant pledging to the state and its icons is a method used widely through the centuries to whip up populous and to divert attention from the real issues.

There is nothing wrong with being loyal to your country but when the Nationalizm becomes irrational and obsessive it is dangerous.

Just some thoughts from down under

NP Crimson. I just hate to see a bunch of ignorant (fill in blinded religion here) create a misconception about an entire culture that is very serious about the path and ideals they have chosen...but hey...who am I to talk...GO GOD OF THUNDER...xnay Odin from that stupid pledge. WOOHOO!

Originally posted by KiwiNZ

I dont know a lot about your pledge of allegience , but all this type of Patriotic fervor , hands on hearts and flag waving is dangerous . It can easily get out of hand and bring out the fanatics.

The constant pledging to the state and its icons is a method used widely through the centuries to whip up populous and to divert attention from the real issues.

There is nothing wrong with being loyal to your country but when the Nationalizm becomes irrational and obsessive it is dangerous.

Just some thoughts from down under

KiwiNZ: I know close to nothing about Australia, so this might be a dumb question, sorry, I'm assuming that's where you're from if you said "down under"... do you guys have a pledge equivilant to ours? And if so, do you not have a gesture to go along with it? I'm just curious as to what other countries do to "pledge their allegience". I suppose I assumed all countries do that...

CrimsonBlur

Close , a few hundred kilometers East , New Zealand .

No we dont have a pledge of allegience , Heck very few Schools have flags .

Only new immigrants do a one off pledge .

We have a National Anthem with is played at all the normal times , like medal ceremonies and International sports events and that is about it . We dont pledge allegience to God , the Flag or the head of State each day.

CrimsonBlur

Close , a few hundred kilometers East , New Zealand .

No we dont have a pledge of allegience , Heck very few Schools have flags .

Only new immigrants do a one off pledge .

We have a National Anthem with is played at all the normal times , like medal ceremonies and International sports events and that is about it . We dont pledge allegience to God , the Flag or the head of State each day.

Hey, yeah, good point, the good ol' National Anthem. Yeah, I suppose other countries must think our pledge is pretty damn silly!

I couldn't agree with you more. Unfortunately, U.S. society is very immature in comparison to most other western societies. I think American society as a whole suffers from an attention deficit disorder of sorts. We tend to only pay attention to the most sensational of issues, all the while ignoring more serious issues. We do have very real issues to deal with especially regarding reform in our political system. However it seems to be the non-issues like this one that get the most attention. I do believe that the issue of separation of church and state needs to be dealt with. However, I don?t think the pledge of allegiance is a really an issue here. There are much bigger issues in regard to the church and state separation issue like the recent school vouchers ruling by the Supreme Court. But beyond the church and state separation issue, there are many more important issues that we should be dealing with. Issues like healthcare and campaign finance reform, environmental issues and foreign policy. The list goes on and on.

...and yes, this ruling will get overruled.

Originally posted by CrimsonBlur

Hey, yeah, good point, the good ol' National Anthem. Yeah, I suppose other countries must think our pledge is pretty damn silly!

Correct, I live in the UK and this whole pledge thing seems absurd.

To you, the pledge seems just about as absurd as the monarcy in England. Why do you pay taxes to support a family that has no real power?

Note: I'm not wanting to start a war from that, I'm just trying to state that every nation has it's own traditions, and rituals, and it isn't fair to judge them if you don't understand them.

Fine with me.

I've been leaving "under god" out of the pledge since at least 6th grade 8 years ago when I learned that it was not part of the original. I never understood why we said a pledge to the flag in the first place; could that not be the same as worshiping an idol?

To you, the pledge seems just about as absurd as the monarcy in England. Why do you pay taxes to support a family that has no real power?

I agree wholeheartedly my friend; the monarchy is as ridiculous as the pledge, if not more so. Traditions and rituals should only be respected if they are rational and beneficial, they need to earn respect. Both the monarchy and pledge seem absurd from the outside, rightly so, because they are being observed by non-involved people who can more easily see the pros and cons.

so ****ing stupid

:(

really

damn look up the term god will u please

dang they are so ****ing stupid

"in god we trust"

every damn religon has a "god"

god is a general term

who do think alli is (however u spell it)

god dumbass

**** they are all the same

makes be sick of this ****

people who thank its unconnestional needs to go back to school

learn about the connestion and everything

:( so sad

****ing grow up u bitchs

Originally posted by war59312

"in god we trust"

every damn religon has a "god"

yeah, that's not the issue, the issue is whether or not "god" should be in our pledge (there are athiests that do not believe in any religion that are the root of this decision here)

god is a general term

who do think alli is (however u spell it)

yes, in the pledge it is general IMO, but this is also challenged.

people who thank its unconnestional needs to go back to school

learn about the connestion and everything

Actually, the first amendment of the Constitution guarantees freedom of religion, which means that you can practice any religion or none at all.

I agree the ruling is bogus but I am also being objective and stating the facts. :)

As it was stated, even by the California Judge presiding (btw, it was a 2:1 in favor. One judge didn't agree)...

The including of "in God we trust" does not lead one to honoring Jesus/Vishnu/Thor/Alah/BillBobTheToasterOven. It is a title. Its meant for anything greater than yourself. Granted, Atheist do not believe in anything greater than themselves and that is their choice. Enforcement of the pledge is wrong and I disagree with it. My own high school gave you a choice. Stand & recite or sit and be quiet. This was fair as it didn't infringe on my right to say it nor the rights of my fellow students who wished not to.

The other reason I disagree with this ruling is that the person who brought it to the courts tried before and in this case used his child (he admitted so) to gain leverage. That's just plain wrong and horrible parenting. "Use your kids as bargaining chits"...

And to add voice to those who've spoken up in the thread...

HAILSA KINDRED! Hail Odin, All-Father. Hail Frigg, Great-Mother. :D

And of course, Hail Vidar! God of Vengence! um.. the real one.. not my pseudonym. :x