Do You feel that programs that minimize instead of close annoy you?

34 members have voted

1. 1. Do You feel that programs that minimize instead of close annoy you?

• Exit
    • Minimize

Programs that used to exit when I hit the "X" button now minimize to the system tray. Some of these programs include many chat programs, file sharing programs, and many others. Whatever happened to the good old days when you hit the "X" button in the upper right corner of the window (normally found on Win 9x and newer OS's)? I am getting very annoyed that more and more software designers are confusing novice users by implementing a routine where the program window gets minimized to the system tray (area by the clock on the taskbar).

Gotta agree with you, the exit button should be used only to fully exit an applications, while the minimize button should be used to minimize the application to the taskbar or tray/notification area (in Windows). In addition if a program does minimize to the tray, it should be an option so that the user can switch between that and minimization to the taskbar.

Seems that many software developers have forgotten all about usability and accessibility in UI design and implementation. But hey, as long as it can be skinned it's all good! :right:

it really depends for me; if it is a chat, p2p client, or something like that, i would prever that it minimise to system tray, but most others should exit IMO.

when i click on the X i am clicking on it for a reason, not for it to minimize.

it is annoying when you think you exit something then the next time you check its down there in the systray staring you in the face laughing and pointing at you like HAHAHAHA YOU CANT GET RID OF ME

thats why there are 3 buttons , minimize, maximize, close

they are there for a reason you loser programmers

I'd like "X" as to close programs. Some programs like for example ICQ does not close the program when clicking "X", it minimize the program into the system tray.

The problem is, that there is no 4th button for "minimize to tray"... sometimes you want the normal minimize and sometimes minimize to tray, and sometimes a normal close...

So either way one button does something that wasn't intended.

If it wouldn't be so difficult to add a 4th button to the bar, most app developers would do that. But because every setup looks different, they simple "reuse" one of the normal buttons. I suppose until "minimize to tray" becomes standard for all apps, we will have to live with a bunch of different solutions :s

Btw. I prefer to close an app with the "X", the minimize button should minimize the app either to the window list or the tray bar. Because some apps minimize and some other simply close, one must check if one can savely hit the "X" for minimizing. The X should never minimize an app.

I like the idea of having the option to make the X button minimize instead of close, but it needs to be an option and not forced upon the user. There has been many times when I'm involved with 2 or more programs that, I have accidently closed instead of minimized.

I agree with a lot of people here, I think on certain applications moving to the tray upon clicking the close button is alright...but I also agree this should be a configurable option...

I think MS really should put an option in the system menu for all windows... "Minimize to Tray..."

Perhaps we should submit this as a feature request for Windows?

Originally posted by Cara

I agree with a lot of people here, I think on certain applications moving to the tray upon clicking the close button is alright...but I also agree this should be a configurable option...

yes it should be configurable, sometimes it anoys me

i prefer apps that do that since they are usually ones i leave open anyways.

edonkey

edonkey bot

cuteftp

snagit

its much better then having them all over.

Originally posted by freeza

when i click on the X i am clicking on it for a reason, not for it to minimize.

it is annoying when you think you exit something then the next time you check its down there in the systray staring you in the face laughing and pointing at you like HAHAHAHA YOU CANT GET RID OF ME

thats why there are 3 buttons , minimize, maximize, close

they are there for a reason you loser programmers

chris on one of your programs, X minimizes to systray..damn hypcrite ..hahah

Most of the time I would perfer it close... but if its chat/im or program thats downloading then its ok to minimize.

BTW: IMHO.... shouldn' the minimize button mean minimize, and the close button mean close... seriously! thats what annoys me! sometimes they don't do what they mean. All programs can have a minimize button (well most) so why don't programers just do that.

Edit: Changed should to shouldn't

I agree with that it depends on the program... for instance, with either Kazaa Lite or Trillian I can just press "X" and I know that they stay open, they just minimize to the tray which is nice. That way I dont have a clutter on my taskbar, too... everything stays nicely in the tray to keep IE windows and such for the bigger space. But then again some programs do this and get annoying because I dont want them to just minimize, I want them closed entirely. Oh well!

The problem with using the X (close) button to minimize an applications at all is that it goes against usability and accessibility design practices that all developers/programmers should be familiar (although obviously not). Why use the close button when you could make an option to minimize to the taskbar or tray for the minimize button (like mIRC and a couple others). Of this whole conjecture is mute given that most programmers anymore could care less about U&A.

I guess for me the issue is strictly to do with consistency, then again I als think that all applications should have GUI state that conforms to the Windows UI (or whatever OS the app is running on), with the ability to switch back and forth between it and a skinned state. [/rant] :p

Originally posted by mugs

chris on one of your programs, X minimizes to systray..damn hypcrite ..hahah

well not particularly YOU LOSER! :D

it's already in the tray when you first load it so therefor the X closes out the window just not the program lol

Yes and no for me, I'm glad download accelerator does that and allows you to minimise to the tray with a progress display, and that norton antivirus doesn't shut down when I close its windows but it could be annoying if you don't want it.