Neowin on the go??

A wireless Neowin service would probably have a subscription based plan from what I see. This is because the mods and everybody running this place already are doing too much and paying out of their pockets to run it. Its up to them if they want a wireless solution to cell phones or pda's.

well i've asked for this tons of times.. :) guess they still haven't come around to do it. I don't know scripting but it seems fairly easy to ask anandtech how they do it. All the info from his site is coverted (minus the images) but either they do it that way or they simply just copy and paste and set up links and all that.... i don't know exactly but it works pretty good. All the articles and news fit on the screen and just look really well done.

Yes this would be a great idea, although I dont own a PDA I am sure i will soon when they get even more powerful etc and to see it whilst i am on the move would be cool :D

How about WAP? just on the frontpage of news or is that too much to ask??

WAP is subscription service...you have to pay on what you use. Although it benefits people on the move, only few of them can afford the service. Avantgo can synchronize news so PDA users can read news offline while they're on the move...so for the time being it's far being used by many people.

I think that AvantGo has switched over to a program where the owner (Neowin, in this case) of the content has to pay for everyone who accesses their content. With 30k+ subscribers to Neowin, @ even 1% using AvantGo for Neowin would be over 300 users. This would cost the Neowin Staff several hundred dollars a month.

How about just setting up a WAP version as someone already mentioned. This would work better and be free to Staff and users.

Oh yes!! :D

One of my favourite pastimes at work is sitting on the bog reading my email and avantgo on my Palm Vx... so here's to me whiling away hours on the porcelain god reading Neowin.

Joy, oh sweet joy :D

Seriously though, this request is something that crops up from time to time, just be aware peeps that Timdorr has quite a few projects on the go. He'll get it to us when he can so don't go bugging him about it eh? I for one cannot wait.

Originally posted by ftboomer

I think that AvantGo has switched over to a program where the owner (Neowin, in this case) of the content has to pay for everyone who accesses their content. With 30k+ subscribers to Neowin, @ even 1% using AvantGo for Neowin would be over 300 users. This would cost the Neowin Staff several hundred dollars a month.

How about just setting up a WAP version as someone already mentioned. This would work better and be free to Staff and users.

No they don't.... that's prolly the newer stuff but you don't even have to add your channel to avantgo. They can simply just create the mobile version on a page like www.neowin.com/mobile.php or something... After that we all simply log into our avantgo accounts and click "create channel" and just point to where. They don't charge neowin anything cuz this site isn't being listed on Avantgo. That's where the money part comes in that you are talking bout... it's basically advertising the site with the NeoWin banner and all so of-course they'd pay for that. The way i mentioned they don't! Alot of websites i go to do it like that...

Ok, first off:

WAP = free

AvantGo = Pay (http://avantgo.com/products/businesses/mar...el_pricing.html)

WAP is just an extension of XML that is easily interprettable on mobile devices. It's how I'm going to be making our mobile site. So, either get a WAP phone or WAB browser for your handheld and you'll be all set.

As for timeframe for implementation, it's going to be a while. I may release it soon or in a little while, it depends on how much time I want to spend... ;)

Tim, no... you don't have to pay. Right now i get neowin on my PDA (without images and it's just the front page news) but it's not formatted for the PDA screen. I don't use a wab browser and i use AvantGo. Simply log into your account and then choose create a channel and then set up the http info and if you want images too or not. I don't so it's faster and takes up less space on my PDA but i get all the front page news till i get a chance to sync again.... It's not as functional as:

http://pocketpcwire.com/avantgo/

http://www.pocketpcmag.com/mobile/

They DON"T PAY for that but AvantGo still sync it. Look at that pocket PC Magazine site and you'll see what i've been talking.

I would love that feature also... for a good mobile site, you can just have the news articles for every category. In short words, it's Neowin stripped down to news only.

PDA - Personal Digital Assistant

the Compaq Ipaqs or just any pocketPC (another name for PDA) and the Palm devices fall under that category too (PDA). PocketPCs are strickly windows CE devices.

PDABuzz.com has a AvantGo channel as well but they pay for theirs. But if they can set it up so that you get the news plus the forum topics (and content) then NeoWin should be able to do it too. You can't reply to a thread on the PDA but it's always interesting to see the questions (and answers) people ask (get). You learn from reading them sometimes, i know i did.

whoa, even this.... just go to avantgo and create a channel then set the link depth to 2 and that's the whole site and including the 10 newest threads and all the content about it.. the one on Avantgo already only shows you the latest reply not the whole thread.

http://mobile.pdabuzz.com/

so http://mobile.neowin.net can't be that hard.. :)

PS - sorry timdorr, i've just been dying for this feature ever since i got my PDA a month and a half ago and it's driving me nuts now!!