Ice Photographed on Mars

hmmm, it doesn't say the size of it. Judging by the image, i say it's quite large, and i wonder how long it is gonna be until we get the details on this patch of frozen h2^

The highly visible ice is sitting in a crater which is 35 km (23 miles) wide, with a maximum depth of about two km (1.2 miles).

586292211[/snapback]

That is the size of the crater itself, i wanna know what are the exact dimensions of this patch, if they bounce radar signals off it then they can determine these dimensions/details...

Does anyone know how big of a discovery this is? But we all know that the polar caps of mars contain ice water as well, this just tells us that Mars was once a life bearing planet, if we sent a huge mission focused soley on excavating the terrain. I bet we'd find fossils if not more detailed clues as to what happened on this planet. Further exploration of Mars will have to be done in the geological sense to determine what happened on it, (This is just my thoughts) to obliterate most of what was once present on there. Most scientists do believe that Mars was once habitable.

all we need to do now is go there with a huge pollution machine and heat up the surface lol :)

586292232[/snapback]

there is a theory that greenhouse gases used to heat up the surface will cause a melting of the polar ice caps and in turn produce an atmosphere. I was watching this on the science channel :wub:

I was watching the science channel yesterday and they were showing how life was found in Methane ice packs in the gulf of mexico some 2,000+ feet deep with no sunlight whatsoever, whoever says life can exist only on Earth is a total FOOL.

there is a theory that greenhouse gases used to heat up the surface will cause a melting of the polar ice caps and in turn produce an atmosphere. I was watching this on the science channel :wub:

586292261[/snapback]

Can you explain more ripgut? I thought Mars already had an atmosphere. Or do you mean it as in breathable air?

Can you explain more ripgut? I thought Mars already had an atmosphere. Or do you mean it as in breathable air?

586292375[/snapback]

Well currently MArs's atmosphere contains

Carbon Dioxide (CO2): 95.32%

Nitrogen (N2): 2.7%

Argon (Ar): 1.6%

Oxygen (O2): 0.13%

Water (H2O): 0.03%

Neon (Ne): 0.00025 %

Now if the ice caps are melted since they contain hardly any C02 (carbon Dioxide)

well since this image was taken. The increase of Oxygen will happen (at least i believe since there is more oxygen in the ice caps than in the current atmosphere)

Kinda think of it as how clouds are formed here on Earth in regards to sea water being sucked up into clouds then poured back out onto land in the form of rains.

This is jsut my thoughts though i dont consider myself nowhere near an exper ton this matter, im jsut a curious noob.

whoever says life can exist only on Earth is a total FOOL.

586292346[/snapback]

Or just might not know, since not everyone here watches the science channel....

OPaul that is a great image, thanks for posting it.....

Well currently MArs's atmosphere contains

Carbon Dioxide (CO2): 95.32%

Nitrogen (N2): 2.7%

Argon (Ar): 1.6%

Oxygen (O2): 0.13%

Water (H2O): 0.03%

Neon (Ne): 0.00025 %

Now if the ice caps are melted since they contain hardly any C02 (carbon Dioxide)

well since this image was taken. The increase of Oxygen will happen (at least i believe since there is more oxygen in the ice caps than in the current atmosphere)

Kinda think of it as how clouds are formed here on Earth in regards to sea water being sucked up into clouds then poured back out onto land in the form of rains.

This is jsut my thoughts though i dont consider myself nowhere near an exper ton this matter, im jsut a curious noob.

586292442[/snapback]

I used to be into this kind of stuff and didn't they say that if they put fungi on there, moss and algae and other plants. In however many years (can't remember) the plants would have made the atmosphere breathable and the planet would be completely habitable.

I hope we do manage to populate this planet in my lifetime, it would really be a huge event, just like the first man on the moon was.

One day, the sun is going to blow up, and I sure hope humans have habitated planets far away before then....otherwise we're gonners.

I bet five bucks that this image will apear on ripgut's signature in four days or less :p