TomTom GO 300

TomTom has been manufacturing GPS (Global Positioning System) since 1999, but were not popular due to cost and equipment, in 2003 TomTom stormed the GPS marked with the first TomTom GO a small, light weight, easy to use GPS device, popularity of having a GPS rocketed.

The new TomTom GO GPS unit were based on the predecessor TomTom GO Classic but even better, much better display, TomTom Plus service ready, updated software and more.

The TomTom GO comes in three flavours TomTom GO 300 aimed at the entry/novice user. TomTom GO 500 aimed at the midstream user and TomTom Go 700 aimed at the professional user. Below is a table that compares all four TomTom GO units..

compare.jpg

I got a shrink wrapped box.

1.jpg

Upon opening the box you are greeted by the TomTom GO 300 unit along with SD memory card and your product code.

6.jpg

Underneath is the quick start guide, software and other papers.

3.jpg

At the bottom of the box is a box containing the cables, car mounting kit and screen cloth

2.jpg

A closer look at the TomTom GO 300 unit & SD memory card containing the map of Britain

5.jpg4.jpg

My TomTom GO 300 unit came with software version 5200, first thing I did was I popped the SD card into the TomTom GO 300 unit, switched on, connected it to my PC, backed up and updated the software to version 5201.

7.jpg8.jpg

ROAD TEST

Installation into the car was simple, we set out destination to my dad's friend house in Surrey, it quickly planned the route and off we went, the instructions were clearly spoken and the display was very accurate, we reached Surrey on return it was gloomy and dark thanks to rain, I switched the display to Night Mode which was perfect for viewing at night.

Set out destination for home, half way through the journey I took a wrong turn on purpose which was also having road works, TomTom GO 300 quickly recalculated the route and also informed me about the roadwork?s and traffic up ahead and also of speed cameras through my journey thanks to the TomTom Plus service.

I tested the unit in a tunnel where it did lose GPS connectivity but it did not lose the map and you are able to manually go through the map, coming out of the tunnel the GPS quickly located the car and we were back on track.CONCLUSIONb>

The TomTom GO 300 is very likely to replace the A to Z in a few years, the system is very accurate easy to learn and understand, can navigate you right through Europe once you have the maps.

The TomTom Plus is another excellent service, which takes your TomTom GO a bit more kick. The TomTom GO could make a few more updates for example it asked me to turn into a no entry zone a few times:blink:k: .

If you travel places a lot or just want to get rid of your A to Z then TomTom Go is well worth it.

If you are a biker don't be put of there is even a TomTom GO Rider[/url:D:DPROS:b>

Easy to configure

Accurate

Weather is not a proble:p:pCONS:b>

Pricey

Power cable provided would be nice

Source: Dan's Dome

Edited by DJ Prem

Neat. I'm contemplating getting one for Australia here. Do the maps require activation like NavMan?

LOL, strange my dad was looking for this the other day on the internet. Thanks for the review. I know someone with a TomTom and got a chance to mess about with it. It's quite cool.

Price? I'm too lazy to look around.

586307471[/snapback]

Prices started at ?350 going up to ?370

Nice review!

Is it purely designed for the car then? Or would it be possible to use as a handheld system?

Perhaps a bit too large for that?

586307478[/snapback]

If I remember I think there is a walk mode, but of course it will be bulky to carry it your better of getting a TomTom Mobile 5 to use with your mobile**Check to see if you phone is supportedi>

Supports

Imate SP3

Motorola MPX 220 (Only in Benelux, UK, Aus,Swiss)

Nokia 3230 , 6260 , 6600 , 6630 , 6670 , 7610 , 7710 , 9300 , 9500

Orange SPV C500 , SPV E200

Qtek 8010 , 8020 , 8060 , 8080

Sony Ericsson P910

T-Mobile SDA

TomTom Wireless GPS

How about a photo of it in the car? Nice review.

586307492[/snapback]

Done:D:D

Neat. I'm contemplating getting one for Australia here. Do the maps require activation like NavMan?

586307570[/snapback]

I have the Britain one which did not require.:unsure:e:

LOL, strange my dad was looking for this the other day on the internet. Thanks for the review. I know someone with a TomTom and got a chance to mess about with it. It's quite cool.

586307703[/snapback]

I orignally got to play with my mates TomTom Navigator on this PDA but there too many wires apart from that last time I forgot the PDA in the car and the car was under the sun:pinch:h: and over heat the PDA and it kept giving me errors about battery:hmmm:m: and I drove by observation and I was on the right road and then it cooled down and it sprang back to life

• 1 month later...

How do you feel about the SD Card availble int he 300 and 500 versus the hard drive in the 700? I am amazed at the price for this unit in compariosn to indash units (its less than half in most cases). Thanx for the info.

The SD card for the 300 and 500 is more than enough. The only reason the 700 has a harddrive is because it includes European street maps, whilst the other two don't. The 300 has just UK streets and the 500 has UK streets and Major European Roads.

There are map updates that you have to purchase though most of the time they are for areas that you may not be driving in often. Seems that the maps they come with are pretty high quality to start. The advantage of one of these is that it has the POI database so that you can access places to eat, hospitals, stores and such. It would seem great in an area that you are unfamiliar with too of course. The price is falling dramatically in comparison to in-dash units and its something that you can keep from car to car, so the investment is more reasonable IMO.

• 2 months later...
Have you found this to be worth the investment? The 700 also has the handsfree dialing... have you had any experience with it? Thanx for your help.
Yeap, its a investment well worth.
Are the maps for these GPS's downloadable/free or do you have to pay additional costs?
You can buy additional maps for the GPS.
There are map updates that you have to purchase though most of the time they are for areas that you may not be driving in often. Seems that the maps they come with are pretty high quality to start. The advantage of one of these is that it has the POI database so that you can access places to eat, hospitals, stores and such. It would seem great in an area that you are unfamiliar with too of course. The price is falling dramatically in comparison to in-dash units and its something that you can keep from car to car, so the investment is more reasonable IMO.
The map updates are free.

Yeap, its a investment well worth.

agreed

I tried out the 700 and the bluetooth function is very cool. it leads to a crowded dash for me though since I got the Harmon Kardon ipod display as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice review :)

TomTom Rider costs $1200 btw :o

Maybe for next xmas if I get a big bonus, I could get my dad a TomTom Rider for his Yahama. He always talks about getting out on a big trek, and maybe a toy like that would help him relive his youthful travels.

If tomtom ever switches to a button form with a remote (like my streetpilot 2720) then Ide consider switching. On screen pushing is not ideal for me because I use a bean bag mount.

Nice review!

Is it purely designed for the car then? Or would it be possible to use as a handheld system?

Perhaps a bit too large for that?

you would need some sort of powersource correct?

I'll give a quick review on it as well, since I keep palying with one at work.

Its a nice soze, good touch screen, good quality screen, voices are loud and clear. Very good little unit, and very very good for its price, compared to NavMan and other top brands.

Inventory and trip features are easy to use, and very good, 3D Veiw follows the car, and hotel, hospital, food etc. info is a helpful plus.

Upgradable off the net, and uses an SD card to store all the Road Data.

Performacne: 10 / 10

Features: 10 / 10

Design: 10 / 10

I have yet to fault this unit. (GO300)