TomTom GO 300

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Premgenius

Premgenius

Neowinian Senior

• 9,380 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 14:56

TomTom has been manufacturing GPS (Global Positioning System) since 1999, but were not popular due to cost and equipment, in 2003 TomTom stormed the GPS marked with the first TomTom GO a small, light weight, easy to use GPS device, popularity of having a GPS rocketed.

The new TomTom GO GPS unit were based on the predecessor [url="http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=0&Language=1""]TomTom GO Classic[/url] but even better, much better display, TomTom Plus service ready, updated software and more.

The TomTom GO comes in three flavours [url="http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=72&Language=1""]TomTom GO 300[/url] aimed at the entry/novice user. [url="http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=73&Language=1""]TomTom GO 500[/url] aimed at the midstream user and [url="http://www.tomtom.com/products/product.php?ID=74&Language=1""]TomTom Go 700[/url] aimed at the professional user. Below is a table that compares all four TomTom GO units..

Posted Image

I got a shrink wrapped box.

Posted Image

Upon opening the box you are greeted by the TomTom GO 300 unit along with SD memory card and your product code.

Posted Image

Underneath is the quick start guide, software and other papers.

Posted Image

At the bottom of the box is a box containing the cables, car mounting kit and screen cloth

Posted Image

A closer look at the TomTom GO 300 unit & SD memory card containing the map of Britain

Posted Image Posted Image

My TomTom GO 300 unit came with software version 5200, first thing I did was I popped the SD card into the TomTom GO 300 unit, switched on, connected it to my PC, backed up and updated the software to version 5201.

Posted Image Posted Image

ROAD TEST
Installation into the car was simple, we set out destination to my dad's friend house in Surrey, it quickly planned the route and off we went, the instructions were clearly spoken and the display was very accurate, we reached Surrey on return it was gloomy and dark thanks to rain, I switched the display to Night Mode which was perfect for viewing at night.

Set out destination for home, half way through the journey I took a wrong turn on purpose which was also having road works, TomTom GO 300 quickly recalculated the route and also informed me about the roadwork’s and traffic up ahead and also of speed cameras through my journey thanks to the TomTom Plus service.

I tested the unit in a tunnel where it did lose GPS connectivity but it did not lose the map and you are able to manually go through the map, coming out of the tunnel the GPS quickly located the car and we were back on track.CONCLUSIONb>
The TomTom GO 300 is very likely to replace the A to Z in a few years, the system is very accurate easy to learn and understand, can navigate you right through Europe once you have the maps.

The TomTom Plus is another excellent service, which takes your TomTom GO a bit more kick. The TomTom GO could make a few more updates for example it asked me to turn into a no entry zone a few times:blink:k: .

If you travel places a lot or just want to get rid of your A to Z then TomTom Go is well worth it.

If you are a biker don't be put of there is even a TomTom GO Rider[/url:D:DPROS:b>
Easy to configure
Accurate
Weather is not a proble:p:pCONS:b>
Pricey
Power cable provided would be nice

Source: [url="http://www.danilpremgi.com/blog/?p=803"]Dan's Dome

Edited by DJ Prem, 01 August 2005 - 17:40.

#2 lunamonkey

lunamonkey

Ten years on Neowin.

• 9,026 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 14:59

Price? I'm too lazy to look around.

#3 Kerm

Kerm

Neowinian Senior

• 8,244 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 15:02

Nice review!
Is it purely designed for the car then? Or would it be possible to use as a handheld system?
Perhaps a bit too large for that?

#4 gdodson

gdodson

Neowinian Senior

• 2,401 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 15:05

How about a photo of it in the car? Nice review.

#5 Neil

Neil

Neowinian Senior

• 2,246 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 15:06

£363.89 off amazon.co.uk

#6 HoochieMamma

HoochieMamma

Professional Hoochie™

• 8,804 posts
  • Phone: Nexus 5

Posted 01 August 2005 - 15:22

Neat. I'm contemplating getting one for Australia here. Do the maps require activation like NavMan?

#7 Adnan248999

Adnan248999

blah

• 859 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 15:42

LOL, strange my dad was looking for this the other day on the internet. Thanks for the review. I know someone with a TomTom and got a chance to mess about with it. It's quite cool.

#8 OP Premgenius

Premgenius

Neowinian Senior

• 9,380 posts

Posted 01 August 2005 - 17:08

Price? I'm too lazy to look around.

View Post

Prices started at £350 going up to £370

Nice review!
Is it purely designed for the car then? Or would it be possible to use as a handheld system?
Perhaps a bit too large for that?

View Post

If I remember I think there is a walk mode, but of course it will be bulky to carry it your better of getting a TomTom Mobile 5 to use with your mobile**Check to see if you phone is supportedi>

Supports

Imate SP3
Motorola MPX 220 (Only in Benelux, UK, Aus,Swiss)
Nokia 3230 , 6260 , 6600 , 6630 , 6670 , 7610 , 7710 , 9300 , 9500
Orange SPV C500 , SPV E200
Qtek 8010 , 8020 , 8060 , 8080
Sony Ericsson P910
T-Mobile SDA
TomTom Wireless GPS

How about a photo of it in the car? Nice review.

View Post

Done:D:D

Neat. I'm contemplating getting one for Australia here. Do the maps require activation like NavMan?

View Post

I have the Britain one which did not require.:unsure:e:

LOL, strange my dad was looking for this the other day on the internet. Thanks for the review. I know someone with a TomTom and got a chance to mess about with it. It's quite cool.

View Post

I orignally got to play with my mates TomTom Navigator on this PDA but there too many wires apart from that last time I forgot the PDA in the car and the car was under the sun:pinch:h: and over heat the PDA and it kept giving me errors about battery:hmmm:m: and I drove by observation and I was on the right road and then it cooled down and it sprang back to life

#9 Pulaski

Pulaski

Neowinian

• 333 posts

Posted 13 September 2005 - 16:56

How do you feel about the SD Card availble int he 300 and 500 versus the hard drive in the 700? I am amazed at the price for this unit in compariosn to indash units (its less than half in most cases). Thanx for the info.

#10 dt26

dt26

makes whole crews disperse

• 1,198 posts

Posted 15 September 2005 - 23:57

The SD card for the 300 and 500 is more than enough. The only reason the 700 has a harddrive is because it includes European street maps, whilst the other two don't. The 300 has just UK streets and the 500 has UK streets and Major European Roads.

#11 Pulaski

Pulaski

Neowinian

• 333 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 17:23

Have you found this to be worth the investment? The 700 also has the handsfree dialing... have you had any experience with it? Thanx for your help.

#12 adawi_star

adawi_star

Neowinian

• 5 posts

Posted 22 September 2005 - 00:25

I am a new member at this site
and its glad with me to be 1 of yours frineds
nice photos & thanks alot :)

#13 +riahc3

riahc3

Neowin's most indecisive member

• 7,724 posts
  • Phone: HTC Desire Z

Posted 22 September 2005 - 01:43

Are the maps for these GPS's downloadable/free or do you have to pay additional costs?

#14 Creamy

Creamy

Neowinian

• 1,437 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 14:14

TomTom is really popular here in Germany...altough its so expensive...:(

#15 Syphonic

Syphonic

Savvy

• 1,643 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 21:18

I'd get on in a flash if it wasn't for the price. Then again, I can read an A to Z so I don't really need one in fairness..