Nuclear Research

hey guys

at school the teacher raised the point concerning nuclear research she said "nuclear research is necessary for the future"

we had a class discussion about it and i find it pretty interesting so i wanted to discuss this with you guys so what do you think?

i think that nuclear research is important for the future because since we have the problem with the greenhouse gases, nuclear research would be a cleaner way to reduce this world wide issue. Also the large amounts of nuclear waste that is being stored i think we need the research to eliminate the nuclear waste and make our planet a safer place.

and also ... knowledge is power!!! and it doesnt hurt to learn more .. right? as long as we don't kill each other or exploit the knowledge we have.

thx

Discuss

Nuclear Research may be very important, but it lead to the obliteration of many Japanese in Hiroshima and the start of a 20-year cold war.

I deftinetly think it is very important do do nuclear research. The problem is witht he risks there are it is viewed as a bit unsafe by some and the waste is a definite problem. I think the most important thing is to figure out nuclear fusion I beleive it is called, then we will live the good life.

Yeah, nuclear fusion uses less fuel in the reaction chamber so if something goes wrong the results won't be as catastrophic. Plus there is a smaller half life for the waste produced.

Since there's no way to actually abandon and ban any kind of research, because someone will do it somewhere, I say screw it and research everything, in the end whatever comes from it will be brought on by ourselves, so it's not the research that should be feared but the people.

I want to beta test a nuclear powered dirt bike please.

586323390[/snapback]

Not sure if I'd like the notion of having a nuclear reaction under my balls......

Ahh screw it, if something went wrong I'd have more things to worry about than my testicles.

lol i wouldn't like my balls to be radiated but how come people are agaisnt nuclear research even though it is for the greater good and it certainly has much more advantages than disadvantages.

Not sure if I'd like the notion of having a nuclear reaction under my balls......

Ahh screw it, if something went wrong I'd have more things to worry about than my testicles.

586323413[/snapback]

You know, nowadays, Id rather live a kickbutt life and die young than growing old without having the bejesus scared out of me. A radiated nutsack could be a beautiful thing. That is a sick thought.

Nuclear research definitely needs to be continued. I am all for it, glowing green nuts and all.

A radiated nutsack could be a beautiful thing.

586323682[/snapback]

Haha, have fun trying to find some-one looking for that on match.com.

But OT, I think people need something to protest, lets face it most people now don't have a cause, and I think they need one, so they go and find something that sounds bad on the outside and just rally against it.

true though, what other advantages or good things is there to nuclear research other than just improved knowledge, less greenhouse gases and nuclear waste, new and more efficient source of power?

Personally I think nuclear fusion is ok, but I think we should be moving to more renewable sources. Solar Panelling, Wind Farms and Hydro-Electric Dams are all good alternatives.

i think if we use alternative sources for power and have a smaller ammount of nuclear that is being processed and used then i'm game

we can learn alot more if we can fully harness nuclear and produce 0 waste and loss. we can then develop other forms of engery to use as well.

i think nuclear research for providing humen kind with things like power and other things other then desctruction which is bad is a good thing

but only if the owners and peopel that runs the things stick to all the laws and dicuss there research and problems with other people so everyone can learn and speed it up and also make it more safer

hmm renewable sources aren't that reliable and are expensive for instance wind as a renewable source wouldn't always be constant plus you need a wide are. As for solar, its good in countries like Australia, we have heaps of sunshine but it'd be expensive to change to and hydro dams are expensive. so i still think nuclear research and fusion is better.

Australian government just took over one of the state's uranium so now they can build more mines which i don't really like because it might leak out into nature. but contained places are alright to use nuclear reactors for. Australia has so much uranium we hardly use them for nuclear reactors. What do you think the uranium should be used for?

well if the uranium is highly enriched then the governement is probley using some of it to possible research in to nuclear weapons.

but i think countries researching on weapons could be spend on public things like reactors.

but in the future there will probley be no need for so many power stations. every country could probley just have one and that would be jsut great.

for the uk we can use scotland as the main reactor and wales as the backup JOKE

It is important. I saw a "diagram" in the latest National Geographic magazine showing the process of making Hydrogen. We have Wind, Solar energy, Petrol or Nuclear energy and to be honest I can only see Nuclear energy as the way to go.

What worries me is the number of nuclear weapons each major country has. North Korea is said to have 6-8 warheads while America has 10,350. Russia has 16,000. Research for the betterment of humankind should be highest in politicians agenda, not war.

yeah the nukes are a bit of a worry, couldn't they dismantle it and use it for a nuclear reactor? or do they have to store it till it reaches its half life? out of interest who here is personally against nuclear reasearch and why?

the potential for danger or evil can be regulated. we shouldn't stop research because of how it may be used later on. with the right regulations, we can be progressive.

then again, that might be the science geek in me speaking.

Well if we're not talking political wise, then yes...it is 150 times more effecient and its somewhat more environment friendly, but it comes at a cost which we all know and we all have experienced.....IMO, nuclear research should be allowed to all countries without the interference of the US or Euro countries....except if their nuclear program becomes suspicious

the potential for danger or evil can be regulated.  we shouldn't stop research because of how it may be used later on.  with the right regulations, we can be progressive.

then again, that might be the science geek in me speaking.

586344857[/snapback]

Nuclear research is sadly mostly political. Who has biggest uber weapon known to man is the 1337est. I do not want to die from a Frozen Hell or Nuclear Armaggedon. The situation with terrorism is too risky to have nuclear research stolen by terrorist groups.

Imagine a dirty bomb placed in down-town Washington. The blast might affect the people in a few hundred yards, but the long term effects are tremendously larger danger in comparison. Radioactive particles float freely in the air and are carried by the wind to nearby states.

It can't be regulated easily. Not at all. The IAEA is having difficulty handling the situation in Iran, North Korea and an even more difficult time trying to handle theft of these devastating weapons.

Nuclear research is in my opinion the supreme goal of modern science. Fusion electricity would be the solution to all the energy problems in the world. It is the closest we can get to free energy. Sure solar power is great, but there are places without much sunlight/poor weather. Fusion power would be an equalizer to the countries of the world. Unlimited electricity is the solution to polution (no pun intended) and economic problems as well. As long as the knowledge is not used for greed, nuclear research should be our top priority.

Nuclear research is sadly mostly political. Who has biggest uber weapon known to man is the 1337est. I do not want to die from a Frozen Hell or Nuclear Armaggedon. The situation with terrorism is too risky to have nuclear research stolen by terrorist groups.

Imagine a dirty bomb placed in down-town Washington. The blast might affect the people in a few hundred yards, but the long term effects are tremendously larger danger in comparison. Radioactive particles float freely in the air and are carried by the wind to nearby states.

It can't be regulated easily. Not at all. The IAEA is having difficulty handling the situation in Iran, North Korea and an even more difficult time trying to handle theft of these devastating weapons.

586349521[/snapback]

banning nuclear research will do NOTHING to thwart the activities of those countries because they'll find ways to pursue their ends regardless, but it is to the serious detriment of peaceful nations who want to progress in science.

for those nations with ulterior motives, we need to target the underlying causes. nuclear research is just a means. as for the nations interested in the science of it, regulation will be helpful or redundant.

Shame all the poltics gets in the way i'm sure all the bods could get research much quicker if they where allowed to basicly all share there information. but then i can see some rouge countries using this informantion for evil means

The nuclear meltdown idea really isn't an issue now. We've developed the technology for melt-down proof reactors, so the main reasons that people oppose nuclear power for is just politics or environmental reasons.

I am in full support of nuclear research. It can lead to bigger and better things. Responsible govenments can be expected to use the technology wisely. Private enterprise in those nations should be regulated. Irresponsible governments would likely pursue the technology regardless of what we decide anyway.