Space Shuttle Discovery

i have to work.. so probably not...

but if it does crash, im sure i'll see it all over the internet...

i know it's a not a nice thing to say.. but it happened last time and the samething happened this this space craft... it's reality.

Someone need to invent internet time so we all have a idea of when stuff is happening lol

whens this in the uk?

586341760[/snapback]

They already have, Swatch did it (as pointed out) or you could say each time and date as UTC, and then convert it to any time offset.

over here, it's landing at 6:45PM, not some ungodly hour, we will all be sitting on the couch to see it.

Are they landing this at night so we can see the debris fly through the air on fire better this time?

The shuttle program is outdated and obsolete, it's highly dangerous and they NEED to ground all of the shuttles and space flights until we either do one of two things

1) Build a spaceship that can be easily maintained, reused, and has several safety protocals, so that if another Columbia does happen, loss of life could be minimal.

2) WE NEED A NEW GOD DAMN PROPULSION SYSTEM. These exploding, volatile, twin and main canisters attached to the shuttle are also as old and obsolete has hell. We've been using rockets for over 60 years (if you include the V2s) and they have had a good run but such things are not ment to last, we need to start building and reseaching (they have already reseached alternatives but costs weigh them down) new engine systems so these things can't blow up on the way to space, just like Challenger.

NASA had its warning back in 1986, and they did nothing, and now Columbia has gone by, and they still have done nothing. At this rate we're going to run out of these damn obsolote flying coffins.

Whats that UK time? (GMT+0)

586341455[/snapback]

Erh. We're UTC+1 at the moment, not +0.

I wish people would use UTC rather than GMT. GMT != 'The time in Britain'.

Back on topic, I'll be watching it certainly. I think BBC1 have live coverage.

I agree with Epimetheus. They definitely need to upgrade the program, more of the budget should be shifted toward developing a new shuttle and put the ISS on hold until we have a safe way of getting astronauts to the station.

Even if they kept the current design but built a new shuttle using new materials discovered since the 70's and upgraded the entire hull it would not be asking for too much.

Godspeed, Discovery.

They are in the process of making a new shuttle. But it will be like a needle moreso than a shuttle, with the crew on top, like in the old days actually, when John Glenn went up.

The space shuttle is the most complicated thing that man has ever made.. You cannot expect it to be flawless everytime so stop complaining people!.. I live in Florida and It's pretty cool seeing them launch from my house.. It lights up the entire sky at night so awesome!

"It will approach Florida from the southwest after flying over Nicaragua, Cuba and on into Cape Canaveral."

maybe i'll get to see it.....

Epimetheus hit the nail on the head, the Shuttle program should have ended years ago, but NASA probably won't retire the fleet until they either lose another shuttle, or they get one of them stranded at the ISS.

Here is one thing that I don't understand about the falling foam issue, if the only prblem with it is that foam is falling off of the fuel tank, then why don't they just put a layer of metal over the foam? They're spending millions of dollars on a single tank anyways, so why wouldn't that work?

Erh. We're UTC+1 at the moment, not +0.

I wish people would use UTC rather than GMT. GMT != 'The time in Britain'.

Back on topic, I'll be watching it certainly. I think BBC1 have live coverage.

586343009[/snapback]

everywhere in britain still uses GMT, that includes the BBC ;) so get with the times mate :laugh:

its at 09:46 BST (0846 GMT)

[oh and GMT is not always the time in britain, during the summer months we are GMT+1]

Edited by rob.derosa

Someone need to invent internet time so we all have a idea of when stuff is happening lwhens this in the uk?

586341760[/snapback]

Shuttle landing delayed

Low clouds prompted NASA to wave off Discovery's first scheduled landing opportunity today, the first space shuttle landing attempt since the Columbia disaster. A second opportunity to land is expected for 6:22 a.m. EDT at the Florida landing site.

Should be 11:32 a.m. UK time. :laugh:

Yeah woke up at 4:20 to get myself all ready to find out it was delayed (:angry: only becuase of sleep, I know they HAD to for safety). Hope the 6:22 AM EDT is a go or I'll be one depressed dude. I saw some report on CNN that the next available slot after that, which is approximately 90 minutes after isn't possible because of orbital mechanics (the dude who covers NASA for CNN Miles O'Brien or something said so).

edit> They're going to make the call soon. Damn! Waved off for 24 hours. That sucks.

Edited by bigbluepride35

Well, back to sleep. lol.

edit> Hmmmm. Actually, anyone else in the mood to watch Apollo 13 for some reason? I may have to fire that up on the DVD player lol.

There isn't too much danger for the shuttle as far as being stuck in space because of weather.

There are many places in the world where it can land. There are several airports, all over the world, with runways that can accomodate a landing shuttle.

If they have to come down, they will have a place to land no matter what.