Will AOL Switch to Gecko?

34 members have voted

1. 1. Will AOL Switch to Gecko?

• Yes - and its a good thing
    • Yes - Other
    • No - Its a bad Idea
    • No - Other
    • Not Sure

AOL owns Netscape and it will do anything in its power to take Microsoft influence out of their proucts. Although, IE has more than 90% of the browser market and if this switch succeds then watch Gecko rise to about 20% market share within a year if all goes well. But that is a big if.

Its just like two big bullies duking it out to be the number one stud in school and nothing more. JMHO.

Yeah, the will put it in AOL 8.0 eventually. AOL 7.0 has a build of Gecko too. (I think)... so yeah i think they will do everything to get rid of Internet Explorer.

I'm really starting to think that they may actually have two versions available, the Netscape Gecko one and the IE one for download when AOL 8.0 goes final this fall. Of course, this could be a problem for the absolute newbies who just learned how to turn on the computer a few days ago, and figured out that double-clicking an icon will open something, because they usually have no idea what a browser is, and they won't know the difference. All they will be thinking is, "Cool, I can go on the Internet now."

Originally posted by Hawkeye

I'm really starting to think that they may actually have two versions available, the Netscape Gecko one and the IE one for download when AOL 8.0 goes final this fall. Of course, this could be a problem for the absolute newbies who just learned how to turn on the computer a few days ago, and figured out that double-clicking an icon will open something, because they usually have no idea what a browser is, and they won't know the difference. All they will be thinking is, "Cool, I can go on the Internet now."

Yeah, that is why it would work, most people would not know the differance :)

It's a good idea that AOL is going to use the Mozilla Rendering Enginge now! Their engine is better than IE's anyway. So now, we shall see a turning point in computing history, of which Microsoft's popularity shall decline and will always decline.

:china:

hah! i personally can't wait for AOHell to dump IE. Then when users get frustrated over the buggy mozilla codebase and lack of features, they'll dump AOL and join up on MSN in droves.

Way to go AOHell, you could screw up an iron ball. hahaha .. i cant stop laffin, make the bad man stop!

ie IS a pretty unstable/slow browser, but mozilla 1.0 is a good alternative to ie6, netscape 7 isnt that bad, but they still need to fix out rendering bugs caused by integration of time warner crap (LMAO :p)

Originally posted by hookahkong

hah! i personally can't wait for AOHell to dump IE. Then when users get frustrated over the buggy mozilla codebase and lack of features, they'll dump AOL and join up on MSN in droves.

Way to go AOHell, you could screw up an iron ball. hahaha .. i cant stop laffin, make the bad man stop!

LOL... good post! We all resented AOL anyways... :) Let us 1337's sit back and watch the downfall of AOL... Can anyone say Chapter 11?