Parked vehicles can be deadly

Aug. 9, 2005. 01:00 AM

10 kids rescued this summer

One mom charged with abandonment

HILDA HOY

STAFF REPORTER

With a heat alert back in effect, residents are being reminded not to leave children and pets in a parked car while they jump out to do errands.

Toronto EMS has rescued 10 children who were locked in cars in eight unrelated incidents so far this summer, said spokesman Dean Shaddock.

Three of those children had to be taken to hospital.

The latest was Sunday, when Toronto police had to break into a parked SUV to pull out an unconscious 6-year-old boy.

He was taken to the Hospital for Sick Children, where he was treated for heat exhaustion and dehydration and released.

"If it's about 30C outside, temperatures in cars can go as high as 57 to 68 degrees," Shaddock said. "On average, the temperature rises about three degrees every five minutes, even if the windows are down," he said.

Most of the increase occurs in the first 30 minutes, and a recent study showed that opening windows does little to alleviate rising temperatures, he said.

"If heat exhaustion isn't treated immediately, it can lead to heatstroke, and heatstroke can be fatal," Shaddock said.

Children can also be burned by metal objects or trim, such as seat belt buckles, that turn scorching hot in the sun.

The little boy had been locked in the car, which was sitting in the sun, for nearly an hour Sunday while outside temperatures soared to 29C, police said.

The boy's mother came out of a nearby grocery store when the car's alarm went off. She has been charged with child abandonment. Police are not releasing her name in order to protect the boy's identity.

Symptoms of heat exhaustion include headache, dizziness, weakness, nausea and vomiting. Normal body temperature is 37C; heatstroke sets in around 41C, when cell and organ damage begins, Shaddock said.

Children are particularly vulnerable because their bodies can't regulate internal temperature as effectively as adults and, being smaller, their temperature rises more quickly, said Eugene Kelly of Toronto Public Health.

Pets are also vulnerable to the dangers of heat, said Toronto Animal Services manager Eletta Purdy.

Last month, Animal Services responded to about 30 calls of pets in parked cars, she said.

"As soon as the core temperature begins to rise, no amount of panting or perspiring through paw pads is going to counteract that. We really strongly recommend that people leave their pets safely at home."

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentSe...id=968332188492

Having police smash in a few car windows and arrest parents who place their children (or even pets) in extreme danger is a good start.

Aug. 9, 2005. 01:00 AM

10 kids rescued this summer

One mom charged with abandonment

The little boy had been locked in the car, which was sitting in the sun, for nearly an hour Sunday while outside temperatures soared to 29C, police said.

The boy's mother came out of a nearby grocery store when the car's alarm went off.

586350991[/snapback]

How utterly thick is that??? :angry: Stupid cow deserves to get the book thorwn at her. It's so bloody obvious.

And why did she leave the kid alone for an hour anyway???

###### :angry:

It's incredibly sad that this isn't common sense....

586351636[/snapback]

:yes: Exactly what I was going to say. I knew this when I was 10. How is it NOT common knowledge for EVERY parent? Or maybe it is and some people just don't have common sense.

:yes: Exactly what I was going to say. I knew this when I was 10. How is it NOT common knowledge for EVERY parent? Or maybe it is and some people just don't have common sense.

586351978[/snapback]

IMO, common sense is the least common thing we (as a society) have.

IMO, common sense is the least common thing we (as a society) have.

586352116[/snapback]

Even though it's sad, very clever play on words there lol.