A magnet and a hard drive

oh i know that, and i dont mean to get off subject on the forum. it is just that 64bit cpus cost too much to use them at 32 bit. what is the point..? 64bit architecture has only strived in the apple g5s and that isnt even going too well. purchases of athlon64s and intel 64s are way down cause the common oses cant even make good use of it. even with linux, that is 64 bit, you have a hard time finding packages and programs that are 64by do it. bo biggy though... didnt mean to pry or anything. i think i ask everyone that. it... i just dont see why get a huge engine, then water the gasoline... anyway, bedtime, and this isnt the right forum. have fun killing the drives...

oh  i know that,  and i dont mean to get off subject on the forum.  it is just that 64bit cpus cost too much to use them at 32 bit.  what is the point..?  64bit architecture has only strived in the apple g5s and that isnt even going too well.  purchases of athlon64s and intel 64s are way down cause the common oses cant even make good use of it.  even with linux, that is 64 bit, you have a hard time finding packages and programs that are 64by do it.  bo biggy though... didnt mean to pry or anything.  i think i ask everyone that.  it...  i just dont see why get a huge engine, then water the gasoline...    anyway, bedtime, and this isnt the right forum.  have fun killing the drives...

586369704[/snapback]

Some people like to future proof. Buy it when its not yet very popular, and like that, avoid high prices when it is widely used. I personally have one myself to future proof my PC.

Great! I've got the definative answer for you all. NO. If you have any doubts, do what I did to a "ready-to-be-tossed-out" hard drive... #1 take the biggest freakin' speaker magnet you can get your hands on (I used one from an eighteen-inch bass woofer) and #2 move it in a circular motion directly on the outer case of the hard drive... do this to both sides of the drive to make sure you got it good... now re-install it into your computer and boot it... scan it... whatever... no problem. I'm using the drive right now. Just to make sure it wasn't a fluke, I also degaussed the hard drive with a bulk eraser - which I know most people don't have - it's used to erase reel to reel and cartridge tapes - used in radio broadcasting. Takes a lickin' and keeps on tickin'... NO PROBLEM!

Edited by oc_spacecase

Here's a short-cut: Find an old electric razor - rip the guts out of it - put a solid piece of metal in the coil. Use it to pick-up metal parts. Turn the switch off to drop the parts... slick! Oh yeah... watch out you don't spill your beer on it while it's plugged into the wall! ha ha!

well, we did already establish that even a large natural magnet wouldnt work. and elecromagnet will, are you guess not reading all the posts? there is proof if you would read them all..

I still like TRUE low-level formats of floppies and HDs, but I have not seen a true low-level format for modern drives in a very long time. The software techniques that are currently employed by the major manufacturers are just that, software. They are not much better then simply formatting the HD in question.

Have u had problems before then ? Maxtor release a low level formater with there drives and theres plenty of software out there. Someof it must work.

edong23 just because you have a 64 bit cpu doesnt mean you cant run a 32 bit os/programs

586369411[/snapback]

Exactly. I was on x64 Edition for a while but the novelty wore off and I wanted to be able to print. :p

I still like TRUE low-level formats of floppies and HDs, but I have not seen a true low-level format for modern drives in a very long time. The software techniques that are currently employed by the major manufacturers are just that, software. They are not much better then simply formatting the HD in question.

Have u had problems before then ? Maxtor release a low level formater with there drives and theres plenty of software out there. Someof it must work.

586370947[/snapback]

I am not aware of any manufacturer of recent hard drives that claims a true low-level format routine for their devices.. Every routine I know of written for or by the various manufacturers simply write 0s to the drive and call that a low-level format.. Many of these routines are developed and sold to the manufacturer by the Ontrack company and they IMO have done the most harm to the life of hard drives. Many of their routines contributed to the death of drives and the corruption of data. Why do I say this???

Ontrack was a primary developer of software that allowed many computer bios to work with larger HDs creating a layer underneath the old partitioning schemes and the operating system. This layer was substantially made of sand and could give way easily, leading to major corruption and sometimes total failure of the drive in question. This is the reason why I stated in my first message that ' legitimate softwares are often more dangerous then any virii/trojan. Spend a solid week recovering a drive that has been touched by legitimate software, and then just a few hours on one with a virus/trojan infection and you will see what I mean. I consider almost any Ontrack software to be an invitation to disaster even to this day and should only be used for very simple tasks, such as the writing of 0s to the harddrive which is all most of the manufacturer softwares do. The writing of 0s to a HD is not a true low-level format.

Spinrite tries to do a low-level underneath the data on current and older HDs, but it only partially succeeds. Weak sectors are still recovered just long enough for data to be put ' back ' on them, then the drive corrupts again on the same weak sector. There is no such thing as a fast low-level format, they can take days in some circumstances ( another reason I have no real desire for huge HDs or for single partition drives ). I even partition my 20 gig drives down to 10 gigs per partition for the very good and practical reasons of relatively less time required for defrags, scandisks, chkdsks, etc, etc., and those are extremely important routines to me.

And it may be just my imagination, but I have seen many problems recently with large HDs, 80 gigs and above. Such a drive in any of my systems would be partitioned to no greater then 20 gigs per partition with all truely important data on partitions other then the first partition on the HD. I don't consider the operating system, any operating system, to be extremely important but the welfare of the data is important, thus no real data is allowed on any first partition. Current operating systems require no more then 10 gigs at most for their partition and that is all they get from me at most.

I hope I have answered your question at least in some regard.

:pc: :argh:

I have never yet become upset with any piece of hardware, but many programmers would be wise to steer clear of me.