Tiger Kills Kansas Teen Giirl

I DO feel sorry for the girl - truly. No life should be ended in such a tragedy. However, you have to realise that they took a child to see a tiger. The attraction of going to see a tiger is "Ooooh a potentially vicious animal - wouldn't it be cool to stroke it". Well yeah, it is cool, Tigers are beautiful creatures - but they are still vicious animals - and if that's the attraction then you have to deal with the consequences.

I often think that as a race, we want things our way and to hell with the consequences. Well that's not how life works always.

No one has brought this up yet, so I thought I might.

You all complain about the killing of the tiger just because its being itself, which I kind of agree.  But you don't know how it was killed.  Maybe it was during the attack and one of the handlers had a revolver strapped to his/her hip and shot down the tiger mid attack.  And maybe the tiger had fatal wounds but the adrenaline (i would imagine tigers have a lot of that) caused it to carry through with the attack, and maybe attack even more violently.  Then once the tiger was done, it layed down and died.  This kind of case, i see as a little more understandable, they at least try to save the human life.  But then again theres the whole "its pretty stupid to crawl into a cage with an instinctly wild animal in the first place" part.  Yeah...

586401442[/snapback]

It says officers shot the tiger. That would mean, unless there were police there are the moment it happened, it was killed afterwards.

I didn't even realize the girl was 17 years old. You would think she would have known better. Either way, may she R.I.P. and my condolences go out to get family and friends.

There truely are some heartless pricks on this forum.  A 17 year old girl was killed and all you care about is the tiger being shot?

Shame on you Neowin users, shame... on... you.

586401382[/snapback]

It's comments like this that really amaze me as to how blind some people are.

People are not saying they don't care about a 17 y.o. girl being killed, they are saying that it's pointless to kill the tiger. It's a wild animal and will always be a wild animal no matter what. For all we know, it could have been trying to protect the girl like the tiger "attack" on Roy of Sigfried and Roy.

It says officers shot the tiger. That would mean, unless there were police there are the moment it happened, it was killed afterwards.

586401471[/snapback]

Officers and handlers killed the animal. Emergency personnel were not able to revive Hilderbrand.

Doesn't exactly say shot, but I guess if officers were involved..hmm..maybe. But in a case like that, if it was done afterwards I wouldn't think you would have a police officer do it. I think to stay within regulation or whatnot (if that matters) you would contain the tiger, deal with the girl, then once thats all done, you take the tiger elsewhere for execution. I don't think you would call the police, sit around and wait for them to get there, and then have the officer unload on the tiger. I think that would get the police officer into some deep stuff for inhumanity or something.

EDIT - I guess I could check into it in some local newspapers...this did seem to happen just down the road from here in beautiful southeast kansas... but this is the first I had heard of the news, so i'll check around.

a message for all you who sided with the girl STFU you city dwelling morons

yey dombass girl get killed good thing we got those genes outta the pool huh

and for the tiger RIP may many many more dombasses who think of you as a pet die

There are two ways to look at this I guess

One the pragmatic approach;

The tiger killed someone, we can't have that, we will kill it before it happens again

Two the it's only natural approach;

The tiger killed someone thru no fault of it's own, it is only natural for a tiger to have these instincts...

BUT, looks like the tiger ran a foul of the most dangerous animal ever to walk the face of the Earth, the human being. It would only be natural for the greatest predator ever to defend its young, looks to me the tiger picked the wrong species to try and make a snack out of.

Nature is brutal to this Kansas girl, it is equally brutal to the tiger.

I DO feel sorry for the girl - truly.? No life should be ended in such a tragedy.? However, you have to realise that they took a child to see a tiger.? The attraction of going to see a tiger is "Ooooh a potentially vicious animal - wouldn't it be cool to stroke it".? Well yeah, it is cool, Tigers are beautiful creatures - but they are still vicious animals - and if that's the attraction then you have to deal with the consequences.

586401468[/snapback]

She was actually taking her senior high school picture with a tiger... Apparently, it is popular in Kansas. Are people really thinking that tigers don't bite or what?

Ok, first of all, you guys have no idea how the tiger got there. Could've been been born in captivity, for all we know. Second, no matter how it did wind up there, this isn't a question of "oh the poor tiger".

The poor tiger just killed somebody.

You'd rather they kept it alive and wait for it to do this again? It's great you guys care so much about animal life, now how about showing some regard for human life?

586401231[/snapback]

Population control.

She was actually taking her senior high school picture with a tiger... Apparently, it is popular in Kansas. Are people really thinking that tigers don't bite or what?

586401540[/snapback]

Heh, well I've lived in Kansas for about 19 years now and I've yet to hear of anyone posing with wild animals. Can't say that I know of this popularity. :)

thats right kill the tiger for doing what it was put on this earth to do

586401546[/snapback]

so your definition, human are put on this earth to create destructions on other lives.. maybe human beings outta be killed ?

586401540[/snapback]

of course they don't bite, its a nice kudly ###### cat

Sure somebody was killed but a tigers gonna do, what a tigers gonna do. If a tigers natural instinct is to hunt for food, and kill for food, the tigers going to hunt and kill for food. End of. You can take it out of the wild, have it born into captivity, but never will you take it's wild senses out of it.

While it's sad somebody lost their life, you can't blame the tiger either. It only did what it's instincts told it to do.

No, I am saying that you can blame the tiger. Of course you can blame it, heck you could even have remotely predicted it.

But you can't act suprised about it, or punish it for it.

And I agree with DivADPArADox that the human is the most dangerous animal on the planet (except a monkey with a grenade and a taste for kitty blood).

Heh, well I've lived in Kansas for about 19 years now and I've yet to hear of anyone posing with wild animals.  Can't say that I know of this popularity.  :)

586401559[/snapback]

There is an online video feed from CNN. The school principal said it is popular among there because of animal sanctuary, and obviously, school takes no sides on this issue. It is only up to the parents to do deicde what to do.

There is an online video feed from CNN. The school principal said it is popular among there because of animal sanctuary, and obviously, school takes no sides on this issue. It is only up to the parents to do deicde what to do.

586401640[/snapback]

Ahh..well then I guess it much be popular in that little town with a zoo and a tiger..just not anywhere else. I understand moreso now. :)

so your definition, human are put on this earth to create destructions on other lives.. maybe human beings outta be killed ?

586401560[/snapback]

You missed the obvious sarcastic undertones of the comment.

I actually feel like crying... HERE's WHY.

For 4 years, that tiger was my neighbor. His name was Gunner. I can't even tell you.... Bill Potteroff lived next door before he moved those tigers to that "zoo" he fought so hard to get. I feel for Bill and all the employees over there. That tiger spent practically every waking moment in or around people. These things happen... not the owner/handlers fault.

I don't really even want to hear that one should not have tigers or whatever. Bill was doing a good thing. He had for 11 years 3 tigers and 3 mountain lions. NOTHING ever happened. But had Bill not stepped in, we would have many less a tiger. Some dope dealers in Arkansas use them to protect their "crops", and only end up antaganizing the animals with sticks to make them mean.

R.I.P. Gunner, you were young, but HUGE...

And my condolences to the family of Haley H.

There are two ways to look at this I guess

One the pragmatic approach;

The tiger killed someone, we can't have that, we will kill it before it happens again

Two the it's only natural approach;

The tiger killed someone thru no fault of it's own, it is only natural for a tiger to have these instincts...

BUT, looks like the tiger ran a foul of the most dangerous animal ever to walk the face of the Earth, the human being. It would only be natural for the greatest predator ever to defend its young, looks to me the tiger picked the wrong species to try and make a snack out of.

Nature is brutal to this Kansas girl, it is equally brutal to the tiger.

586401537[/snapback]

Except for the fact humans are supposed to be on the top of the food chain cause we can rationize and use logic. Apparently natural selection struck. If we used the logic we claimed to have then the tiger would have been far away anyways.

People die every single day. With no disrespect, but just because someone got into news doesn't make it any different.

586401409[/snapback]

That's true. It was unfortunate that the girl died.

@Valichild: So why did the guy have the tigers in the first place? And I'm sorry, I can only imagine how you feel, seeing such a beautifu form of life right before your eyes everyday must have been amazing.

For the family, thats too bad, but I don't know them I don't know the person so to me honestly truly that -1 person from the population.

As for the tiger, I'll just restate what everyone else said, the poor tiger it probably got scared from all the flashing of the camera and forgot its place, or it was just being good ol' Gunner. Who knows, but its a sad loss, you can see where the family is coming from I guess, in their incoherent thoughts after the loss of a loved one. They seriously should have considered their actions first though, unless it was the police that said "We gotta kill it", if thats the case then they should be shot themselves.

@Valichild: So why did the guy have the tigers in the first place? And I'm sorry, I can only imagine how you feel, seeing such a beautifu form of life right before your eyes everyday must have been amazing.

For the family, thats too bad, but I don't know them I don't know the person so to me honestly truly that -1 person from the population.

As for the tiger, I'll just restate what everyone else said, the poor tiger it probably got scared from all the flashing of the camera and forgot its place, or it was just being good ol' Gunner. Who knows, but its a sad loss, you can see where the family is coming from I guess, in their incoherent thoughts after the loss of a loved one. They seriously should have considered their actions first though, unless it was the police that said "We gotta kill it", if thats the case then they should be shot themselves.

586401765[/snapback]

He saved these animals from their otherwise demise. Most people don't know it, but there is a black market for these animals, and 9 times out of 10, the people who get them cannot take care of them. Most of the animals he had were as I said.. people involved in the sale and growth of drugs. when they get busted, he took the animal and cared for it. Every dime he got went to the Siberian Tiger Foundation because those cats are endangered. He was doing his part to help...

EDIT: and YES he has a Liger...

Edited by Vaichilds

The guy that rescued them must be cut up over this. Tigers are so beautiful.

But this goes to show that ok, it's a beautiful creature, graceful, intelligent... Admire it, love it but RESPECT IT FOR WHAT IT IS!