Costas refuses to host show on Halloway

(Maybe this goes in NFN, i don't know.)

NEW YORK -- While some cable TV hosts are making their living off the Natalee Holloway case this summer, Bob Costas is having none of it.

Costas, hired by CNN as an occasional fill-in on "Larry King Live," refused to anchor Thursday's show because it was primarily about the Alabama teenager who went missing in Aruba. Chris Pixley filled in at the last minute.

"I didn't think the subject matter of Thursday's show was the kind of broadcast I should be doing," Costas said in a statement. "I suggested some alternatives but the producers preferred the topics they had chosen. I was fine with that, and respectfully declined to participate."

Costas' manager declined to elaborate on what Costas didn't like about the topic.

Thursday's guests included Beth Holloway Twitty, the girl's mother; a television reporter; and an investigator in the case. Seven of the show's 10 guests talked about the missing girl, the other segments were about the BTK killer.

The Holloway case has been a big attraction on cable news networks during a slow news period, with Fox News Channel's Greta Van Susteren getting record ratings as she's paid almost nonstop attention to it. Reports of Costas' decision first surfaced on the mediabistro.com Web site on Friday.

(source)

I always knew who Bob Costas was, but i never really had an opinion of him one way or the other. But he officially rocks for refusing to host this show. It's cool to see that at least someone in the media has a little principle.

As I said in August of last year:

Corporate TV News media is just there to turn a profit for shareholders. It's not really there for the public to learn the facts or history surrounding many news situations. And they are obsessed with celebrities or missing pretty white girls. It's kind of disturbing.

And it is still ever pertinent.

If Costas refused to be associated with such nonsense, then good for him.

Only reason why this girl is on tv is because shes white, hot and from the south. You would never see a black girl or black guy from harlem on tv. If i remember right there was two black kids from atlanta that where killed in jamica but the FBI nor anyone else bothered to look for the killers.