Neowin Subscription Model...?

I know this has been talked about before (I remember it vaguely), but I can't remember what was finally said about it. Anyhoot, I was wondering whether Neowin has considered going to a subscription based model (for forums) like Ars?

I wonder what the pros/cons would be if Neowin did go subscription based? In other words, I haven't really thought out all of the implications. Perhaps someone has? For example, Neowin could create a Lounge where paid members could post and all other members could only read (much like that of Ars).

It's just a thought -- I'd still love Neowin any which way it goes. Sure, I don't have a lot of posts to my name, but I'm a chronic lurker (when I've got time -- I'm supposed to be studying for the bar exam!).

Cheers,

RW

moved to site && forum issues.voodoo

Yeh its been asked many times, there are many reasons why not, but the best one imho is - if we are being hosted for free, why should we charge visitors?

I didn't know Neowin was hosted for free. That really surprises me considering how fast Neowin is growing.

The nice thing about Neowin is that it's just the right size. You can actually get to know the members and have a real sense of community. Over at Ars, there are so many people posting that it begins to feel like you're just a little fish in the cybersea.

I'd be willing to pay up to $5 a month to support Neowin and get to post in a paid members area. I'm not sure I would buy a subscription to Ars for the aforementioned reason. Neowin remains my open forum of choice.

I wonder how many other Neowin "junkies" out there would be willing to pay a small subscription fee? I'm not sure what Neowin would do with this money -- maybe upgrade the server to accomodate more users? Maybe use the money to produce more original articles? I dunno.

Just a thought.

RW

as much as a love neowin i dont think i would pay for its services, most of the information on here can be found on other sites, neowin just nicely brings it all together for us

If Neowin goes subscription, then me wants paying! :D

Just joking fellas.

Anything that is said here is speculation, and wild speculation at that. As things stand there are just so many reasons why this ain't gonna happen and of top of that there's no need. Neowin is not a money making exercise... can you not feel the love in this room? ;)

IMHO -> "If it ain't broke then don't fix it."