Best video mode for movies.

49 members have voted

1. 1. Best video mode for movies.

• SVCD
    • VCD
    • DivX ;-)
    • Other(Please reply with answer)

We were having a discussion about this in an irc channel I belong to. And I decided to post a poll here to see what everyone likes. So Please vote, kthnx ;D

-Fats

Why does everyone swear by DivX? I personally think it's horrid, Maybe that's because I like to watch my obtained movies on my DVD player and not on my PC. I sit infront of this contraption long enough not watching movies that I can barely stand watching a movie on the PC and if I do, then it's vcd/svcd anyway.. DivX is only good for those 3mb clips of things that guys like to watch occasionally, if you get my drift ;D. So yes, as I said: DivX == Crap, VCD > *

;D

-Fats

PS. (OT) I just watched The Crocodile Hunter Collision Course(on VCD of course) and it's uhm.. yeah! I wont even give it a rating, but if you like the show, then obtain this movie..

quality on a vcd suck ass compared to divx encoded movies depending on the source. svcds well they're not so bad but they're still not very good..IMO oh yeah another problem. my dvd player wont' play svcds so that's no good to me anyways.

i would have to go with "DivX" way better compression...almost half the size of a VCD with little or no loss of video quality...

P.S. Faster to distribute due to file size...few hours :)... instead of several!

I prefer DivX for quality, compression, and ease of use. Between svcd and vcd I much prefer svcd. I watch most of my stuff on the PC because I don't own a HDTV - and regular TV sucks for quality. (s)vcd's are two damn big.

Formats that I wish would die - RM and WMV. um ... yeah, end rant.

You can fit a whole movie in brilliant quality onto 1 CD when using DivX! However, VCD/SVCD movies are DVD Compatible. So both have good points. Nothing beats connecting a PC (TV OUT) into a DVD Player and watching DivX movies on a TV though :D

divx is good for pc, i prefer svcds since i recently bought a dvdplayer. the onlyannoying thing about svcds is that u need like min. 2 discs to get a decent quality.

stuckwithme247: vcd sucks ass cuz its mpeg1, svcds are mpeg2 and 480x480 is the ntsc standard reso, 480x576 the pal standard reso,but who tells you that you are forced to use it? and filesize doesnt matter,unless your burner can't burn 2 cds in a row to make a megaleet quality svcd!#%&/$

Originally posted by insanekiwi

stuckwithme247: vcd sucks ass cuz its mpeg1, svcds are mpeg2 and 480x480 is the ntsc standard reso, 480x576 the pal standard reso,but who tells you that you are forced to use it? and filesize doesnt matter,unless your burner can't burn 2 cds in a row to make a megaleet quality svcd!#%&/$

i know that, but explain to me how SVCD is better quality than DivX :s

with all of the lossy codecs, you can encode video using whatever bitrate you want, pretty much. the higher the bitrate, the higher your video quality will be. so you could have a SVCD that's better quality than a DivX clip...

isn't SVCD just MPEG2 anyway? and isn't MPEG2 what DVDs use? it's just that DVDs a wee bit more than CDs do. :D somebody tell me if i'm wrong...but for goodness sakes, don't yell...i've seen enough flaming on the board today, and it's only monday.

OK, I WON'T YELL!!!

VCD

352x240

352x288(PAL)

Video Compression MPEG1

Audio Compression MPEG1

Size/min ~10 MB/min

----------------

SVCD

480x480

480x576(PAL)

MPEG2 video