Ownership of the moon

Can any person claim ownership of the moon?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Can any person claim ownership of the moon?

• Yes
    • No

I was just reading 'How to setup a moon base' on BBC News and in it they mentioned this:

While planning permission is not an issue - there is no law in space - a claim of ownership has been made by US entrepreneur Dennis Hope, who in 1980 spotted a loophole in the 1967 United Nations Outer Space Treaty.

Do you think anyone can claim ownership of the moon or any part of it?

BTW, 'How to setup a moon base' is quite an interesting article.

well i know you can buy those fake certificates they say you now own so many acres of the moon, but i dont think you can legally claim part of it...

Colonization of the moon will be harder than colonization of Mars, reasons being is.

A) the Moon doesn't have an atmosphere, where in the case Mars does.

B) there doesn't seem to be any ice water on the Moon where in the case Mars does.

C) Air, water and electricity will be the key elements in succesful colonization of the moon. Those of which will be a bit harder on the moon than on Mars. We can use water to create electric power. Which, again, exists already on Mars and not on the Moon.

In the end a base on the moon as opposed to one on Mars is just a waste.

imo ;)

how did it get this far anyway?

this is stupid. owning the moon.. wtf are going to do with it?

586435192[/snapback]

once property rights are defined, people will find a way to do something with it.

how did it get this far anyway?

this is stupid. owning the moon.. wtf are going to do with it?

586435192[/snapback]

I dunno, you'd be surprised. They could charge people for rituals based on the moon. They could charge people for photos they take of it.

I'm bs-ing right now, but you never know .....

No one can ever own the moon,

its a f*cken planet...

the moon is there not for us to live on it, not to own it, just for understanding it.

every one who has acres on the moon was scamed...

No one can ever own the moon,

its a f*cken planet...

the moon is there not for us to live on it, not to own it, just for understanding it.

every one who has acres on the moon was scamed...

586436827[/snapback]

The moon is not a planet, it is a celestial body, a satellite mind you. and who is to say we can't (if we ARE able to) colonize and claim land on it?

Well someone can probley own it but it's probley owned by a group of countries like US, UK, France, Germany.

But really we should put out notices around the planets and also news papers asking if anyone owned the planet and can prove it if.

Well someone can probley own it but it's probley owned by a group of countries like US, UK, France, Germany.

But really we should put out notices around the planets and also news papers asking if anyone owned the planet and can prove it if.

586437137[/snapback]

By virtue of this first there doctrine used quite frequently in the Israel-palestine conflict, the moon is technically American is it not ;) ? I have a strong feeling people would find that objectionable because its American!!!!????.....

The moon is not a planet, it is a celestial body, a satellite mind you.  and who is to say we can't (if we ARE able to) colonize and claim land on it?

586436840[/snapback]

you're right that is doesn't a planet, it's more like an orbiter, a "heavenly body".

but it doesn't change a bit,

no one owns the moon, because it doesn't belong to anyone.

Actually I own the moon. What proof do you have that the USA owns it?

586440240[/snapback]

The fact that it was there first, which I recall people argued means the land is yours...

No country will allow 1 single country to claim ownership of the moon. Even more so if its America that owns it, what with all the America hatred in the world.

In the end a base on the moon as opposed to one on Mars is just a waste. 

imo ;)

586434853[/snapback]

The whole point of going to the moon would be to launch bigger spaceshuttles too Mars for instance. It's much easier to launch from a low gravity moon then to launch a very big spacecraft too Mars.

A) the Moon doesn't have an atmosphere, where in the case Mars does.

586434853[/snapback]

ermmm, If I remember correctly, it does. It's just very 'weak'.

I saw that guy who has the 'deeds' to all the planets/moons/satellites in our solar system on Conan O'Brien one night, he gave Conan the deed for a plot on the moon. He said that for somewhere around 250 000$, or something like that, you could buy all of pluto......

I also remember reading somewhere, dont know if it is true or not, that McDonalds actually owns plots of land on the moon.

I don't really like the idea of ownership of any planet at any level, but I imagine that someday, perhaps soon, perhaps not so soon, we will see it happen.

Well lets think of the whole absent-landlords issues in the past. Unless you set foot on your "land" at least once a year, then it ain't yours :)