Ownership of the moon

Can any person claim ownership of the moon?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. Can any person claim ownership of the moon?

• Yes
    • No

McDonalds is now controlling earth, soon they will conquer the moon...

(Yack, i hate McDonalds, i prefer a normal meat, or BBQ, my deepest wishes to the McFall).

The whole point of going to the moon would be to launch bigger spaceshuttles too Mars for instance. It's much easier to launch from a low gravity moon then to launch a very big spacecraft too Mars.

586442744[/snapback]

You know what? You're correct, a launch from a low gravity body would be far easier.

He said that for somewhere around 250 000$, or something like that, you could buy all of pluto......

586442776[/snapback]

Wait wait wait!

Whose is it to SELL??

To buy that, somebodys got to own it to begin with, so how did they own it?!

Whoever colonizes the each area of the Moon gets that specific area :/ You can't simply divide it among countries... However, I think it would be best if the UN controlled all of the land on the Moon, and forced all ownership to be shared among all of the countries in it...or at least those willing to fit the bill.

The problem with the UN owning it is that they have proven to have corruption and there is no real way to guarantee they will be around forever.

Was it really the USA that first landed on the moon and proclaimed it theirs by planting a flag on it?. I seem to remember a discussion at the time that Russia had actually beaten the Americans.

Same as all the early British colonies were originally "claimed" including America.

I guess some would argue that you need to establish a permanent presence on the planet (or country) to claim it and then be prepared to defend it it someone tried to take it away (as in the World Wars).

Seems neither of the last 2 things have happened to date, so I'd suggest no-one owns any of it at this point in time.

Colonization of the moon will be harder than colonization of Mars, reasons being is.

A) the Moon doesn't have an atmosphere, where in the case Mars does.

586434853[/snapback]

The USA once had a plan to manaufature an atmosphere around the moon which involved releasing the oxygen in the soil by a series of Nuclear explosions. Once a basic atmosphere was there it would need to me maintained by planting trees etc. No people would be able to live there for a long time until the radiation fell to acceptable levels.

I guess in the end it just fell into the too hard basket.

Sure...just build a house on the moon and sit out on the porch with a shotgun to keep away the trespassers! :D

586434795[/snapback]

Yep :yes:

The USA once had a plan to manaufature an atmosphere around the moon which involved releasing the oxygen in the soil by a series of Nuclear explosions. Once a basic atmosphere was there it would need to me maintained by planting trees etc. No people would be able to live there for a long time until the radiation fell to acceptable levels.

I guess in the end it just fell into the too hard basket.

586466672[/snapback]

The Moons gravity is less than that of MArs it will eventually float off, MArs at least has more gravity, but even it's atmoshpere is belived to be STILL floating off into space.

International law says if you're the first to explore it, you can claim it for yourself or your country.

My uncle owns a piece of the moon. The USA gorvernment was selling deeds for acres of land on the moon. He bought some and has had the deed in the bank for years. No idea when he bought it, but he said it was like $1k for like 50 acres

International law says if you're the first to explore it, you can claim it for yourself or your country.

586469351[/snapback]

Yea international, not interplanetary!

Yes any person can claim ownership of the moon. But since there is no law in space anybody could go to the moon and do whatever they want on somebody elses land and the only way for people to keep their land would be by wars and stuff. Just like how the boundaries on the Earth were created.

Thanks for playing, please return when you can actually participate in a discussion such as this.

586480302[/snapback]

What discussion?

This is the most ludicrous discussion in this forum. How can you lay claims to the moon? Believe it or not, the earth owns us. The moon has nothing to do with organisms down here on earth. It's absurd.

Now, stop your petty, mindless off-topic bickering.