Recover data from Found.000 folder

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Zombi

Zombi

Lalalander and proud of it!

Posted 29 August 2005 - 19:38

Here's the deal:
Woke up this morning turned on the PC and when Win2K Pro started chdsk notice some error on 1 of my partition drives. It went on to try and fix it and in the process save the files
When all is done and I open My Computer to take a look at my drives, 2 very important folders that were in that partition were no more and 1 new folder called Found.000 was created on the root of that partition. It's full of chkdsk files and I'm guessing these chkdsk files are my deleted files. Is there anyway I can recover those data? Hopefully using a free or cheap software?
Also I've been told not to write on the drive I want to recover files from but I was wondering: if I find a software to recover the files is it OK to install it on my C drive even though the partition with the data I want to recover is on the same drive as C?

Any help would be welcomed, thanks in advance

#2 junkie

junkie

Neowinian

Posted 29 August 2005 - 19:43

scandisk (or chkdsk, whatever) saves lost clusters as files, each cluster as an individual file. lost clusters as in no longer part of any file. so unless you know _exactly_ which cluster belonged to what part of which file, there's pretty much nothing you can use them for. you might as well just delete them...

#3 OP Zombi

Zombi

Posted 29 August 2005 - 19:54

scandisk (or chkdsk, whatever) saves lost clusters as files, each cluster as an individual file. lost clusters as in no longer part of any file. so unless you know _exactly_ which cluster belonged to what part of which file, there's pretty much nothing you can use them for. you might as well just delete them...

View Post

Are you sure? Then why would windows save the files then if there's nothing I'm able to do to recover them? That's some real bad news there ;-(

#4 junkie

junkie

Neowinian

Posted 29 August 2005 - 20:02

i'm pretty sure. lost clusters mean they are LOST. the FAT/MFT lost track of those datablocks, and couldnt tell which file they belonged to when it was 'asked' by chkdsk.

#5 SweWiLLiE

SweWiLLiE

Neowinian

Posted 29 August 2005 - 20:52

Bull****.
I've experienced the same issue with the "found.000", "found.001" etc. directorys .
In my case I was missing some pictures and mp3s.
I checked every file in those folders, found my mp3s and pictures, renamed to their original names and moved them to where the belonged.

If your not so lucky though, the files in "found.000" could just be garbage.
So check every file in that folder first before you delete anything.

#6 OP Zombi

Zombi

Posted 29 August 2005 - 21:18

Bull****.
I've experienced the same issue with the "found.000", "found.001" etc. directorys .
I checked every file in those folders, found my mp3s and pictures, renamed to their original names and moved them to where the belonged.

View Post

Cool I hope I'm as lucky. Indeed the files I'm missing are also most of my itunes songs and most importantly family pictures and video files. What did you use to check the files? And when I want to recover them, just rename them?

#7 Smit

Smit

Chav Hater

Posted 29 August 2005 - 21:19

Have you tried a file recovery tool? I know they are for when you delete files but it still may work.

#8 Jeremy1

Jeremy1

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 August 2005 - 21:22

This is a good indicator that your hard drive may be going bad. You should look into replacing it ASAP.

#9 junkie

junkie

Neowinian

Posted 29 August 2005 - 21:47

Bull****.

View Post

now that is bull****.
in the 'found' folder you have files, GENERATED by chkdsk from lost CLUSTERS. each file represents a cluster, or chain of clusters, that were PARTS of files. entire files dont get lost. that is not a loss. if you know where a file begins, and where it ends, and you have data, than that file is not lost. do you really think these programs move your files from one folder to another and rename it for no reason?

#10 SweWiLLiE

SweWiLLiE

Neowinian

Posted 29 August 2005 - 22:24

No, I don't think that, but i suspect that something happened to clusters in the area where my files happened to be.

You don't have to teach me anything, I'm writing about what have happend to me. Not once but multiple times.
It's the same story with academics. They only read, and when they finally do something they're completley lost
b'coz what they read doesn't hold water in the real world.

Like I said, this is first hand experience so it doesn't matter what you say.

#11 SweWiLLiE

SweWiLLiE

Neowinian

Posted 29 August 2005 - 22:33

Cool I hope I'm as lucky. Indeed the files I'm missing are also most of my itunes songs and most importantly family pictures and video files. What did you use to check the files? And when I want to recover them, just rename them?

View Post

I just opened them in Notepad and looked at them.
Or, if you suspect a file is an mp3/aac/whatever, just rename the last 3 letters (like .mp3) and try playing it.

I had picaview installed at that time, so i just right-clicked the files until i saw a thumnail in the right-click-popup-menu.

Check the size of the files though. It isn't fun opening large files in notepad :p

#12 +allan

allan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 29 August 2005 - 22:33

http://www.microsoft...kd_tro_kbnn.asp

#13 junkie

junkie

Neowinian

Posted 30 August 2005 - 08:05

http://www.microsoft...kd_tro_kbnn.asp

View Post

exactly what i was talking about. thank you for that link.
i guess it is settled whos talking bull**** and whos not.

#14 SweWiLLiE

SweWiLLiE

Neowinian

Posted 30 August 2005 - 13:16

Nope.
I'm glad he posted that link also.
It confirmed what I was saying about opening the files in Notepad to see if they where restorable.
You can go and talk your bull**** somewhere else.

It's not that I'm calling you a liar, I'm just saying that sometimes you can restore complete files from found.000.
Case closed.

#15 +allan

allan

Neowinian Senior

Posted 30 August 2005 - 13:33

While it is possible for a lost cluster to contain useful information, it is very rare. More often than not the data in a lost cluster is a copy of data already in another file (or even more likely, only a "piece" of data).

Some more interesting links on lost clusters if you are interested in learning rather than acting like children:

http://pcworld.about...p190id36586.htm

http://www.dewassoc..../fat_errors.htm

http://www.bsu.edu/u...87-4756,00.html