Ontario: Bans Pitt Bulls

Pit bull ban begins

Mon, 29 Aug 2005

The country's first-ever province-wide ban on pit bulls took effect Monday in Ontario, and breeders wasted no time in announcing a constitutional challenge to the ban.

Lawyer Clayton Ruby called the law "too vague" and "overly broad," and said the legislation lists a number of breeds that are "substantially similar" to pit bulls.

The ban makes it illegal to breed pit bulls in Ontario or bring the dogs into the province. Dogs already in Ontario are allowed to stay as long as they are sterilized, leashed and muzzled in public.

Source: The CBC

----------------------

I've always considered the breed to be a dangerous one. Designed/bred for attacking, and fighting.

Though I can understand that with training, such traits can be repressed.

-Ax

This is a classic case of how the one kid ruined for the rest of us. Not that I'm complaining, I'm not particularily fond of pitbulls or other dogs like them.

586450339[/snapback]

One kid?

This is a classic case of how the one kid ruined for the rest of us. Not that I'm complaining, I'm not particularily fond of pitbulls or other dogs like them.

Was this ban braught on by attacks? I know BC has been considering this for some time as well.

-Ax

586451212[/snapback]

Yea, there was a rash of maulings. Once the newspapers go wind of the debate they started reporting all of the incidents and there was a flood of them that had previously gone unreported.

I'm a bit happy that they have created this ban, as from what I heard, this was a problem in Ontario.

Biggest problem I see is if a family with a pit bull is planning on moving in to Ontario, they may have to say good bye to Rover.

i think if the bred of the dog is very voilent then yes. but if it was a few cases then sorry law should go.

I myself have 2 german sheps.

One who loves everybody and will anything for some fuss, another is like putty in our hands and will get use to people once he starts to know them.

Alot of people fear these dogs. They are very nice dogs and from a young age you can get make them have a nice temperment. like the police dogs

One kid?

586450348[/snapback]

You may not remember because its been a long time since you were in elementary school (:rofl:), but its like how the one rotten kid ruined it for the rest of us.

this is stupid. banning one type of dog isn't going to stop kids from getting attacked by dogs. So when poddles start attacking kids are you going to ban poddles??? Its not the dogs fault that there owners are complete morons that can not handle these kinds of dogs.

this is stupid. banning one type of dog isn't going to stop kids from getting attacked by dogs. So when poddles start attacking kids are you going to ban poddles??? Its not the dogs fault that there owners are complete morons that can not handle these kinds of dogs.

586452985[/snapback]

I could not agree more. It is nothing more than sheer hysterics, coupled with politicians willing to pander to knee-jerk reactions just to squeeze out a few more votes.

Nothing less than shameful in my opinion.

586452985[/snapback]

I've owned a couple of poodles, and I can tell you right now, they aren't natural fighters. Not only are they french (:laugh:), but its not in their temperment.

The breed of the dog does matter, some breeds are more prone to attacking than others.

Thats not to say a poodle can't be trained to be more aggressive, but the owner would have to work hard to get the dog in to the frame of mind that would require the dog to attack people at random.

I think Bull Dogs should be banned because the average owner lacks the experiance and knowledge to train the dog to not answer their native aggressive impusles.

-Ax

I've owned a couple of poodles, and I can tell you right now, they aren't natural fighters. Not only are they french (:laugh:), but its not in their temperment.

The breed of the dog does matter, some breeds are more prone to attacking than others.

Thats not to say a poodle can't be trained to be more aggressive, but the owner would have to work hard to get the dog in to the frame of mind that would require the dog to attack people at random.

I think Bull Dogs should be banned because the average owner lacks the experiance and knowledge to train the dog to not answer their native aggressive impusles.

-Ax

586453679[/snapback]

It would not take long to get a dog to be aggressive. Be it Bull dogs, Pittbulls, rottweilers, they can all be family dogs. I have a cousin who has breeds rottweilers and non of have ever killed or hurt any of his children or anyone. It comes done to how the owner can train and handle these dogs. Just because some dumbass can't handle their dog doesn't mean that anyone else cannot. Punish the owner and dog that attack not the whole breed, breeds of dog.

To consider a whole breed of dogs to be dangerous and prone to attacking other animals and humans is absurd! My husband and I have had a gorgeous female registered Pit Bull for three years now. There have been no indications that she is prone to want to attack anyone or anything.

It is NOT the dog, it is the dog owner or the breeder. How you raise and breed your dog will dictate how this dog is predisposed to act!

If you are not familiar with pit bulls, please do not let the instances of dog attacks where other variables probably were involved make your final opinion on this breed of dogs.

:D

If you are so insistant that the owner is at fault, why are there so many more Pitt Bull attacks than other breeds?

Are you insinuating that the lethargic and uneducated are attracked to these breeds? Or that particularly aggresive people are more prone to purchase a pitt bull? I would hardly believe that.

But then, who would ever train a dog to bite a 4 year old?

-Ax

I totally agree with it. My mom's dog was a very small pitbull, about 50-60 lbs, and it was totally nice and tame, raised around kids, and very loveable. A few months ago, my mom's boarders dogs got downstairs (2 dogs, each 140lbs, male and female) and my dog just lost it and took down the male. The owner tried to step in and my dog grabbed him by the hand and dragged him into a different room, his wife freaked out and the dog did the same to her and went back after the other dog. My little dog freaked out and broke the guy's wrist and hand and cut up the girls arms and legs, both were hospitalized for a day from their wounds.

But as soon as my dog was outside, it was calm again and wanted to play. he even wanted to play with the animal control guy that came up to take him to be put down.

I know for a fact that the breed is more disposed toward violence than others...they were bred to fight each other for sport, and people shouldn't have them unless they want a dog they can train to kill other dogs.

If you are so insistant that the owner is at fault, why are there so many more Pitt Bull attacks than other breeds?

Are you insinuating that the lethargic and uneducated are attracked to these breeds? Or that particularly aggresive people are more prone to purchase a pitt bull? I would hardly believe that.

-Ax

586453899[/snapback]

Yes the owner is at fault as well as the dog. The dog attacked the child and he should be put done. It was also the owners fault because he didn't know how to handle this type of dog and probable any other kind of dog. No, i haven't thought about that only the 'uneducated' are attracked to these dogs... why would you bring it up....

-Ax

586453899[/snapback]

The breed does attract people who are prone to mistreat and train it for violence. For the same exact reason it is fear, perception. It is viewed as a dangerous dog, thus it is cool to have one. Makes you wild and edgy. Outlawing the breed will now make them even more alluring to people who would mishandle and misuse the animals too.

The breed does attract people who are prone to mistreat and train it for violence. For the same exact reason it is fear, perception. It is viewed as a dangerous dog, thus it is cool to have one. Makes you wild and edgy. Outlawing the breed will now make them even more alluring to people who would mishandle and misuse the animals too.

586454174[/snapback]

Is it not worth it though to stop the average person, not the one with blood lust, but the person looking for family dog, from getting this breed?

I think so. If all it does is stop 10 attacks a year, its a bargin worth 10 times as much.

-Ax

Is it not worth it though to stop the average person, not the one with blood lust, but the person looking for family dog, from getting this breed?

I think so. If all it does is stop 10 attacks a year, its a bargin worth 10 times as much.

-Ax

586454193[/snapback]

Pit bulls are good family dogs. They are simply physically able to be attack dogs. Their natural temperament is not that different for most domestic dogs.

The truth is a Great Dane, mistreated the way pit bulls would need to be mistreated to become blood thirsty monsters, would make a much more dangerous animal. That doesn't mean they should be banned.

I have personally trained two pit bulls from puppies; I can tell you they are actually a pretty affectionate and obedient breed. The downside of the breed is not that they're prone to violence; it is that they are dumb as bricks.

Pit bulls are good family dogs. They are simply physically able to be attack dogs. Their natural temperament is not that different for most domestic dogs.

The truth is a Great Dane, mistreated the way pit bulls would need to be mistreated to become blood thirsty monsters, would make a much more dangerous animal. That doesn't mean they should be banned.

I have personally trained two pit bulls from puppies; I can tell you they are actually a pretty affectionate and obedient breed. The downside of the breed is not that they're prone to violence; it is that they are dumb as bricks.

586454292[/snapback]

Grey Hounds are by far the dumbest breed of dog, but they have yet to prove that they're capable of attacking for no reason.

I would agree intelligence has something to do with it, but lets not forget that certain breeds are bred for certain jobs.

Border Collies/Collies: Sheep headers (and the most intelligent breed :))

Grey Houds: Runners, and damned fast ones at that

Golden Retrievers: I would think this one would be obvious...

Bernease Mountain Dog: High altitude, cold climate work dogs

The Bull Dog, as its name so charmingly describes, were meant to be strong, powerful, "bull like", gaurd and attack dogs.

-Ax

I totally agree with it.  My mom's dog was a very small pitbull, about 50-60 lbs, and it was totally nice and tame, raised around kids, and very loveable.  A few months ago, my mom's boarders dogs got downstairs (2 dogs, each 140lbs, male and female) and my dog just lost it and took down the male.  The owner tried to step in and my dog grabbed him by the hand and dragged him into a different room, his wife freaked out and the dog did the same to her and went back after the other dog.  My little dog freaked out and broke the guy's wrist and hand and cut up the girls arms and legs, both were hospitalized for a day from their wounds.

But as soon as my dog was outside, it was calm again and wanted to play.  he even wanted to play with the animal control guy that came up to take him to be put down.

I know for a fact that the breed is more disposed toward violence than others...they were bred to fight each other for sport, and people shouldn't have them unless they want a dog they can train to kill other dogs.

586453889[/snapback]

you guys get in **** for it?

no, it was pretty much their own fault for getting between the dogs, the police asked them if they wanted to press charges though...they said no. My mom's a single woman with 2 kids under 10, and she gave them a place to live, so they didn't want to cause any trouble.

Both them and the 2 dogs are fine now

Pit Bulls are capable of more damage than many other breeds. Yes, a poodle could be dangerous but it wouldn't take 8 police bullets to stop (in one famous Ontario case that lead to this law, two pit bulls attacked a child and it took 16 bullets to finally stop the animals).

Pit Bulls are capable of more damage than many other breeds.  Yes, a poodle could be dangerous but it wouldn't take 8 police bullets to stop (in one famous Ontario case that lead to this law, two pit bulls attacked a child and it took 16 bullets to finally stop the animals).

586455640[/snapback]

8 Bullets?!?! Most people can't take 8 bullets (at least to the torso).

-Ax