U.K. school tailors policy to foul mouths

As children throughout the country head back to school, many of them are probably muttering a few choice words about the prospect of returning to the classroom and the expected onslaught of homework. But can they utter those choice words and swear at their teachers? If they?re heading back to school in one town in England, then yes, they can.

According to a report in the U.K.?s Daily Mail, one school in the town of Wellingborough is allowing pupils to swear at teachers, providing they only do so no more than five times in a class. A tally of how many times the f-word is used will be kept and if the class exceeds the limit, they will be ?spoken? to, the newspaper reported.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9132814/

LOL...what is the UK getting themselves into now

I laughed out loud when I read this.

I used to live, until a month ago, in Northampton, adjacent to Wellingborough. I can be a bit rough as a town but... this is atrocious. For once I agree with Ann Widdecombe in her response as detailed in the article.

wtf.. this is nothing but stupidity... is kids are not gonna respect thier teachers then they will have less respect for thier own parents.. and it'll have an effect on everyone..

I don't mind allowing them to swear. I mean, there's technically nothing disrespectful about swearing.

But allowing them to swear AT someone, and specifically stating that its allowed?

I think there's a huge difference between allowing a kid who is having a problem on his assignment to mutter "**** this is hard" and allowing a kid to say "**** you" to a teacher because he got a question wrong.

Edit: haha, forgot there were filters on this. sorry mods!

I don't agree with this rule at all, and think teachers should be given much stricter powers in schools and honestly wouldn't mind seeing the reintroduction of the cane or something similar.

As for people saying the UK is a sad place, I couldn't disagree more and I can't help but think you are having quite a narrow view. I know things like this are an issue but the media hypes them up like there is no tomorrow and if you think the whole of the UK can be based on stories like this I think it's quite sad in itself, especially when they're coming from France.

this is beyond stupid!

what's next: we allow out students to punch our teachers for a maximum of 5 times per lesson (a tally will be kept) in order to prevent them punching their peers...???

if it were a perfect world where students were sensible then maybe it would be ok. but in real life your gonna get plenty of students who would take advantage of this in an immature way. how would you tally the use of swearwords accross a class of 30-odd students?

im in 6th form so with a few teachers i get on with we can swear now and then if its appropriate allthough technically we shouldnt. lets face it would feel weird if you were allowed :)

That's obscene.

To blatently and openly permit this, and to limit it to 5 times per class is just childish. It's clearly labelled as a bad thing to do, but they can't stop kids doing it so they have to allow it but limit it? Seriously, it boggles my mind how this has become the law.

It just... I mean, this doesn't even make sense to me.. just what do they think they're doing. So far everyone here has been against it... who made up this insane rule anyway, and how did they justify it.

I want to leave the UK more and more.

its actually kind of smart if u think about it, we all know at some point we've wanted to say it but didnt because its "bad" so it makes us want to do it even more to impress kids, now that its allowed they will get tired of saying it and it will just wear itself out, kinda dumb tho still but it might work

I even back then I told them what I throught of them.

Yes I have respect, but if there going to intimidate me infront of a class well? I really dont give **** what other think about it either

AND YES I DID REPORT IT!

Oh well im at college now

I laughed out loud when I read this.

I used to live, until a month ago, in Northampton, adjacent to Wellingborough.  I can be a bit rough as a town but... this is atrocious.  For once I agree with Ann Widdecombe in her response as detailed in the article.

586455102[/snapback]

I agree, I live only 30 minutes from the town myself. This is just wrong :no:

This is rediculous, apparantly respect is on its way out...

Thread Moved

586455088[/snapback]

On it's way out? Gone don't you mean..? and long ago too... :(

Got to think about it like this, if they allow this in 6 months the kids will see swearing as not being cool any more simply because its been allowed, its got no thrill factor if there allowed to do it. They will bore themselves out.

This is crazy, but it wont do anything.

I remember once at school I wrote "I hate School" in my homework diary/planner. For some stupid reason, our teacher has to sign our homework diary every week, and she saw what I wrote and crossed it out and said "I don't want to see you writing anything like this again".

Got to think about it like this, if they allow this in 6 months the kids will see swearing as not being cool any more simply because its been allowed, its got no thrill factor if there allowed to do it. They will bore themselves out.

586458140[/snapback]

Swearings seen as cool?

I go to a grammar school and if you swear too much there your peers generally think your a tard anyway and will give you a bit of slapping round.

Maybe I'm just sheltered from real schools :p

I'm not surprised. For a long time, a school near me has encouraged the students to call teachers by the first names. Apparently so the kids think the teachers respect them more. But this is just stupid. What is the point? The teachers will probably swear back at teh kids at some point and most likely get done for it. A lot of teachers are thick and lazy but teaching is still a stressful job and now those teachers are going to have to be abused by kids at school and can't even do anything about it.

Ridiculous.

Edited by BobMarley

What a stupid idea... children need to respect their teachers, not to think that they deserve the same respect.

Naw NAW NAW. Teachers are their to teach, simple pass down education from which they've learned to others. Not their to play the god ego card, authority card or any other card besides teaching.

Some teachers infact find it awful for having a objectionated opinion. Been there was sent down to the office many times. Won the battles. These days in Canada, Quebec. I've heard of teachers going on many of strikes this new school year. Did you not get a contract raise back in 2000. I remember my son and others walking out of class striking because of absurd school fees covering certain things that they still pay highly out of pocket money just to attend. Ie field trips.

I remember dealing with a teacher one time, because he talked down to my son so my son replied to his level just to prove an arguement. Next day the teacher kicked him underneath the desk. Many students where witnesses. So my son through a chair at his desk. Now mind you it's alittle extreme but the teacher knew from then on not to ever lay a finger on him.

Problem is these days teachers just wanna be there to pay off their loans, and could care less about giving sound teachings to future generations. Once in awhile you'd find the teacher that was there in the first place to past down his knowledge. But now all I see them do is read a bloody math book or any text book that any kid can read and do on his own.

So for the sake of swearing back, it's all good context depdending on the situation yes you should be allow to swear back to them when talking calm hasnt worked at all.