Dell tired of sticker mania from MS and Intel

Dell tired of sticker mania from Microsoft and Intel

We've all seen them: Intel Inside, Centrino Mobile Technology, Designed for Windows XP, Mobile Graphics by ATI, etc. The stickers placed on computers and laptops by the major OEMs are not only irritating to some users, but apparently Dell is tired of the branding game, too. Why might Dell object? The king of computer mass production says that the time it takes to put all of these various stickers on products is a bottleneck in their operations.

With PC assembly time down to less than four minutes, the 30 seconds it can take to apply the ubiquitous security holograms and logos for Microsoft and Intel have become a significant manufacturing bottleneck. Talks are under way to eliminate what Dell production managers grudgingly describe as ?other people?s advertising?.?.

The complaints are mildly ironic given the history of some of these branding campaigns. Once upon a time, OEMs like Dell had to actually pay to use "Intel Inside" in advertisements and the like.

It's not surprising that Dell's interests lie with the almighty greenback, but you wouldn't hear me complain if those stickers went away. While I suppose that they're relatively harmless on desktops, I find them exceedingly irritating on laptops. Never mind the fact that they fade, get grimy, and tend to look awful after only a small amount of time. No, the real problem is when they start to peel back. My Compaq X1000 suffered from this problem, and when it finally made me batty, I ripped it off only to leave remnants of adhesive goo, which I then had to carefully remove with a solvent.

Dell's position in this might seem silly, but it's a big concern in the realm of big business. The company, whose reputation is the only thing bigger than its market share, has stumbled as of late, and Wall Street investors are wondering if a good thing really can't last foreveSource:e: Ars Technica

All I have to say?

THANK. GOD. I'm beyond tired of all the ****ing stickers, I'm not interested in them, I don't want to see them, and Im' already more than willing to tell people about what I have in my system at the slightest provocation.

one ati sticker and one intel sticker is fine with me. its when they load up on the extremely cheap and ugly ones like stuff about the colour technology of the monitor and the windows stickers and so forth that gets annoying.

I completely agree and think that the stickers can be down away with on notebooks. But desktops, I could really careless about. But it wouldn't upset me to see them go though.

"We've all seen them: Intel Inside, Centrino Mobile Technology, Designed for Windows XP, Mobile Graphics by ATI, etc."

2 are from Intel, One is MS, one is ATI.

To be honest, the previous posters have singled out MS a bit.

I don't mind like:

Centrino Mobile Technology and Designed for Windows XP, because they tell me i have Centrino, which is nice to know, the XP one tells me it will run XP.

OEM stickers showcasing all the 'features' like a screen resolution - thats what annoys me.

Funny they mention the ATi stickers but on Apple computers that have ATi graphics there are no stickers? I wonder why that is.

Because Apple make computers..?

They can choose what stickers they want to deface them, and they go for none.

i'm seriously annoyed from the stickers as well. Well on Laptops, desktops are fine with me.

After several months of laptop usage, the logo stickers started to fade off and it looked really ugly.

I wonder if its ok if i tell the salemen to take it off in purchase...

Because Apple make computers..?

They can choose what stickers they want to deface them, and they go for none.

586458502[/snapback]

My point was if Apple can choose not to stick none on why cant Dell? I used ATi as an example as both Apple and Dell computers have that part and Dell mentioned ATi stickers.

If they are not obligated to stick them on then why bitch about it?

I don't mind the small one, like ATi, Intel Centrino, XP one wouldn't hurt either, but the 2 BIG ASS STICKER that ASUS came with is a bit of annoyance.

Who "bitched" about it? As far as I read the article, Dell just sorted out the bottleneck in their production and it's obviously the stickers so they get rid of it.

Ofcourse they are optional and Dell didn't have to stick them on their machines in the

first place. Apple decidet to not do so.

I don't get your point to be honest. Who bitched?

586458609[/snapback]

Dell did.

Dell want the companies to pay them to stick them on so that is clearly why there bitching about it.

If they didn't bitch about it they would have just cut them from the production cycle and there would be no story.

My point was if Apple can choose not to stick none on why cant Dell? I used ATi as an example as both Apple and Dell computers have that part and Dell mentioned ATi stickers.

If they are not obligated to stick them on then why bitch about it?

586458543[/snapback]

Who "bitched" about it? As far as I read the article, Dell just sorted out the bottleneck in their production and it's obviously the stickers so they get rid of it.

Ofcourse they are optional and Dell didn't have to stick them on their machines in the

first place. Apple decidet to not do so.

I don't get your point to be honest. Who bitched?

Dell did.

Dell want the companies to pay them to stick them on so that is clearly why there bitching about it.

If they didn't bitch about it they would have just cut them from the production cycle and there would be no story.

586458620[/snapback]

Err, right...

Once upon a time, OEMs like Dell had to actually pay to use "Intel Inside" in advertisements and the like.

Dell had to pay, not Dell made them pay. ;)

I don't hate them, but they can become annoying.

I remember the days when it was really flash to have "Intel Inside Pentium" on the front of your PC when 486's were the norm :D