Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic Review

If I were to hook an x-fi card up to lets say the logitech z-5500 via analog. Would I notice any difference in sound quality if I were to hook the card up via optical instead of analog??

For movies, yes.....for music, not so much. Mind you the difference is very minimal so unless you have trained ears you won't notice anything. Optical output has a slightly crisper, cleaner sound but the Z-5500 isn't made with good enough of a tweeter or woofer to produce any dramatic changes.

For movies, yes.....for music, not so much. Mind you the difference is very minimal so unless you have trained ears you won't notice anything. Optical output has a slightly crisper, cleaner sound but the Z-5500 isn't made with good enough of a tweeter or woofer to produce any dramatic changes.

So.. would you recommend me to save my money and not buy an optical cable (since i don't have 'trained ears' :p)?

So.. would you recommend me to save my money and not buy an optical cable (since i don't have 'trained ears' :p)?

The only way you will really know for sure is to try it yourself. I always just buy things and test them, then turn around and sell it. Sure I lose a little money doing so, but I at least get to experience what these things are capable of. Optical cables aren't that expensive anyway...you can get a cheap Monster cable for around $40. Whatever you do, just don't get $5-$10 cables...they actually make your speakers sound worse! :no:

The only way you will really know for sure is to try it yourself. I always just buy things and test them, then turn around and sell it. Sure I lose a little money doing so, but I at least get to experience what these things are capable of. Optical cables aren't that expensive anyway...you can get a cheap Monster cable for around $40. Whatever you do, just don't get $5-$10 cables...they actually make your speakers sound worse! :no:

Alright, thanks for all your help. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I bought the card a few days ago and got it today, and it does not have a heatsink. Should I be worried? Everything else works though.

mine doesn't have a heatsink and its fine since the day i bought it. iirc the heatsink is only for later revisions cause they generate more heat due to some changes in the layout.

• 4 weeks later...

I was playing a game and while I was watching TV on it, the sound in the TV goes crazy and starts to fuzz. The sound on my computer works fine. Anyone know what happened?

Edit: Fixed it. Just setted it back to default.

BTW, for some reason, I can't have both microphone and Line-in at the same time. I need Line-in for the TV sound and the microphone to talk but if I turn on one, the other one gets muted.

Edited by Dark Reaper

I bought the card a few days ago and got it today, and it does not have a heatsink. Should I be worried? Everything else works though.

No, you shouldn't. I was given an X-Fi two days before its release in August and I haven't had any issues with it even though no heatsink came with it.

This card has been proving quite great. Especially now that I optimized the speaker layout (I was never able to do that properly on my Soundstorm), everything sounds top notch. Oh, and bass redirection actually sounds good now!

• 6 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Me too! I was just wondering if anyone could recommed me sub ?100 2.1 speakers that will bring out the power of the X-fi and also a pair of headphones for under ?50.

Thank you.

EDIT:

Narrowed it down to these [some are more expensive than others] - but I wanna know what you think is the best bang for the buck:Harman Kardon Soundsticks IIb> - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Harman-SOUNDSTICKS...I/dp/B0001W8EFK[/url

Logitech X-230b> -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-X-230-mul...m/dp/B00069ZEA6Logitech Z-4b> -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-Z-4-Speak...1164669-6704708Logitech Z 2300b> -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Logitech-2300-Mult...6402&sr=8-1[/url

Acoustic Energy Aego Mb>

http://www.ebuyer.com/UK/product/106173Or anything else you recommendi>

Edited by Flare

I own the Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 and they're very good, but they may not fit your price range. Check them out and see if you like them.

I got the x230s over a year ago and whilst the sound is OK i find them overly bassy and a little distorted compared to other speakers i know. In other words a good set for games with an ample subwoofer but perhaps not for music if you care about quality.

Edit, get the soundsticks they look awesome! :D