Gas Shortage?

I'm in Central Florida and regular unleaded is around $2.70 a gallon. I have not seen any stations out of gas...yet. I have seen extremely long lines at them though. :/

i think this whole "gas shortage" and due to the hurrican, the world will finally relise how little there is left and push the oil companys to develop different types of fuel.

586463459[/snapback]

they will otherwise suck every penny they can out of everyone and then they'll think about that... i think we're going into a world recession :/

edit: indeed, alternative fuels have been in development for years but what happens is the oil companys buy those small companys developing the alternative fuels and "shush" them out.

there is no real gas "shortage" since gas is pretty much priced like a stock market type of situation... they are gona keep raising the price to see what people will pay for it until demand drops then set that as the price... kinda sad really... but the hurricane up here has caused that type of market to freak out because of some of the shut down refinieries and caused the price to skyrocket as a result on tradeing on barrels of curde oil in the USA... up here is around $3.25 for a gallon on regular gas... just a week ago it was $2.35

Isn't it like, 45% of the worlds oil we can't even get at because it's eather to deep in the ocean, or on some nature preserve?

586463503[/snapback]

If thats true then it might as well not be there.

But you never know, next year they may design someting that can go deeper!

Pardon my ignorance, but i think the gas price increase really has nothing to do with the hurricane. I think it all has to do with the media "saying" its going to increase, therefore it does. get what im saying?

Actually my undertanding of the situation is not a gas shortage, but a problem refining the crude oil, into petroleum.

In the states we are buying more crude then we can refine and it's been catching up with us starting this year. It's hard to bring more refinery's online because of environmental concerns.

This is just what i've heard, i could be way off base here. I heard it on the radio, could be false.

Actually my undertanding of the situation is not a gas shortage, but a problem refining the crude oil, into petroleum.

In the states we are buying more crude then we can refine and it's been catching up with us starting this year. It's hard to bring more refinery's online because of environmental concerns.

This is just what i've heard, i could be way off base here. I heard it on the radio, could be false.

586463535[/snapback]

you are way closer to the truth then you think... everyone says there is a "gas shortage" which technically is true because refineing capabilities are lower then demand anymore and new refinieries haven't been constructed and a lot of the older ones are starting to get shut down with no replacements in sight.

now the idiots on TV saying there is an "oil shortage" are the ones causing a panic because they really don't seem to have a clue what they are saying, and they are causing gas prices to jump like crazy because they say there is no way to get oil because the platforms in the gulf cost are destroyed by the hurricane (sure some are but not a majority, and oil isn't the problem, gas refineing is) then they try to say that oil will run out in years which is complete BS because even if we had to we can make synthetic oil and even synthetic gas Otcane isnt too hard to make syntheticaly just is expensive... but media has a big thing to do with it causeing trading prices of oil to skyrocket

586463535[/snapback]

Zorak, you are correct. The US has a shortage of refining capabilities. We are unable to handle and process the volume of gas that we need to process in order to meet demand.

586463535[/snapback]

yes its not really the crude oil prices that are raising prices at the pump its oil refineries, there arent enough of them and the ones who are doing it... raise the price of thier product.

the problems at the pump are both because of oil refineries greed and partly due to Katrina which shut down some oil refineries.. i believe its somewheres arround 20% of our Gas is refined down there.

There are two major oil pipelines that run through the Southeast US. One of those pipelines has shut down completely, and the other is only running at 20%. NE Georgia, and the western parts of South Carolina and North Carolina are experiencing gas shortages. Once the news broke yesterday here in Greenville, SC, there was a run on gas. Nearly all of the stations in the county were sold out within hours. Prices rose 60 cents or more in that timeframe.