WTF Jesse Jackson?

indeed. (Y)

how is "refugee" racist?  he needs to study his definitions and etymologies.

there will still be some subtle racism.  as an asian-american, i still feel it sometimes.  it might be as trivial as, "you have good english."  but i hope that, over time, things like this will vanish.

586496105[/snapback]

when speaking face to face with someone, I honestly can't think of one time where I thought about their ethnic background. I see them as an equal. I think racism is something that is taught. Children are oblivious to color/nationality. My youngest son once asked me why people are different colors, I just told him it was how people are made, so that everyone has their own look so that they can each be special.

I frankly am becoming quite tired of how often the race "card" is being employed.  There is a time for it, but this is definately not one of them.  Really, the government has tried every since the Civil War to bring equality to minorities (with the Japanese as one exception which has been fixed).  Look at it this way.  Look at Asians.  Many of them are sucessful and you rarely hear about racism practiced against them.  Why?  I am a firm  believer that economic equality paves the way to social equality in terms of minorities.  If you work hard and try to move up the social ladder, that is the best way to solidify your race's equality.  Most of the problems people have with hispanics stem from illegal immigration.  I think that some African Americans have carried the race grudge for far too long.  Yes, in some areas you can still run into problems of racism.  Trying to attact attention and force the government to give special breaks to a minority group is a terrible way to do it.  It achieves the exact opposite.  The time for large scale legal protection passed over a decade ago.  If you really want to integrate, then integrate, not divide.  If you keep claiming that you're being treated differently, well then people will really begin to think you are different.

586493797[/snapback]

I'll agree with most of your post. The only major point I really disagree with is that the government has done alot to bring equality to minorities. From Reconstruction to the late 1890's, the I would say that they did. That is until the decision of Plessy v. Ferguson. That decision sactioned legal discrimination and segregation. That era really didn't end legally until the 60's. So alot of people on both sides of the fence are still alive. Over the course of that time period, there have been other incidents that have further pushed the racial divide apart. An example would be the Tuskegee Syphilis Study.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tuskegee_experiment

indeed. (Y)

how is "refugee" racist?  he needs to study his definitions and etymologies.

there will still be some subtle racism.  as an asian-american, i still feel it sometimes.  it might be as trivial as, "you have good english."  but i hope that, over time, things like this will vanish.

586496105[/snapback]

Oh man. As a black person, I know where you're coming from. I have practically perfect english and people say it's not "black". How racist is that.

i think you need to lay off the political correctness. he was clearly stating that the evacuees shouldnt be labled as refugees, and technically they shouldnt be called refugees either. they are victims of a hurricane and are being treated as such.