Mac and Linux users blacklisted by FEMA

THE NOW very much criticised US Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) has stopped Mac and Linux victims of hurricane Katrina from applying for relief.

The agency, which is already in hot water for its lack-lustre rescue efforts in New Orleans, has created a web-based service that only works for users of Windows and IE6.

The Inq

This is ridiculous :angry:

If you read the full article then you have to laugh at the circumstances where Microsoft is profiting from the hurricane (by selling more licenses to relief workers).

One thing that puzzles me is that Microsoft has always been quite generious in terms of giving away free software, and I am curious as to why Microsoft deicdes to profit from those in need this time around.

I don't consider setting up Linux is a breeze. If relief workers really want to get things done, they will use Windows, not Linux. With Windows, I can always put on Windows 2000 and get it up running in no time. With Linux, I tend to edit Xf86Config and so on just to get X/X.org running.

However, that's based on the assumption that they want to run OS from the hard disk. Otherwise, Linux LiveCD is a very good choice. However, if the system can barely run Windows Xp, it is highly unlikely these machines will be able to boot off LiveCD. Even if you boot up DAMN Small Linux, it is going to take 15 to 30 min to fire up Firefox. That's not efficient at all.

The similar Live CD for Windows is Bart's PEBuilder, and you can put K-Melion browser on it. It surely will fire up faster than Firefox on older machines.

Get back to the topic.. FEMA really should not restrict money support to ONLY those who use Windows.

The Inq is an amusing source. Serious articles with wry humor and a bit of sensationalism thrown in.

The website issue is likely someone who is used to developing "for IE" (which is what Microsoft promotes, for obvious reasons) :ninja:

The licensing requirements for copies of XP seems like a bucket of cold corporate icewater thrown in the mix, when a more generous approach would have made good P.R.

EDIT:

Does the online application require Internet Explorer?

Yes and no.

Currently to complete your application online you must be using Microsoft's Internet Explorer 6.0 or above. We are in the process of modifying the application so that it will be available to additional browsers.

If you do not have Internet Explorer 6.0 or higher, you may still be able to check the status of your application and update your information online once have registered by phone.

WebHostingGuy writes "As reported by MSNBC, if you survived the hurricane and are a Mac, Linux or Firefox user you cannot file a claim online. Further, you must have javascript enabled or face rejection. From the site: 'We are sorry for not being able to proceed your requests because you have failed our tests.' Opera and Netscape don't work either." Also reported at InformationWeek. From that story: "To file a claim online at FEMA's Individual Assistance Center, where citizens can apply for government help, the browser must be IE 6.0 or later with JavaScript enabled. That cuts out everyone running Linux or the Mac operating systems, as well as Windows users running alternate browsers such as Firefox or Opera. When TechWeb tested the site using Windows XP and Firefox 1.0.6, the message 'In order to use this site, you must have JavaScript Enabled and Internet Explorer version 6. Download it from Microsoft or call 1-800-621-FEMA (3362) to register' popped up on the screen.

Source:

http://politics.slashdot.org/article.pl?si...tid=103&tid=219

-------------------------------------------------------

For one, I dont think anyone has a computer remaining, unless you consider the one they have thats 6 feet under water. Two, why does it have to be so difficult to file a claim. Red tape and politics as its best.

oh boohoo.  im sure you can find a computer somewhere to fill out the request.  not like public computers are scarce these days.

586500520[/snapback]

I'm sure you would have the same attitude if it was you trying to file a cliam for everyhting you lost.

I'm sure you would have the same attitude if it was you trying to file a cliam for everyhting you lost.

586500529[/snapback]

is it a shame what happened? yeah, it is. natural disasters of this magnitude affect everyone, and my heart goes out to them.

making a big deal about having to submit using a pc with at least ie6 is rediculous though... lets draw attentention to every negative aspect of this thing, how about that? do you like looking at the bad side of things? well, look at the positive side... you can file your claims online using an average pc, like the kind you can find in any public library. im so sick of the negativity regarding this in the news and the media...

why not this?

"people can file claims online now, making things that much easier on the people. unfortunately it needs to be done using a relatively up to date PC using internet explorer 6, despite this, the form can be submitted and reviewed much faster than dealing with someone over the phone or by mail."

besides, how many people down there do you think have only machines with linux or only a mac with no version of internet explorer at all? seriously.

As long as you tell Firefox to pretend to be IE6, it works fine. I use PrefBar, and it worked fine for me. Just use the dropdown box to make it appear to be IE6. Simple. :)

making a big deal about having to submit using a pc with at least ie6 is rediculous though... lets draw attentention to every negative aspect of this thing, how about that? do you like looking at the bad side of things? well, look at the positive side... you can file your claims online using an average pc, like the kind you can find in any public library. im so sick of the negativity regarding this in the news and the media...

======================

It is ridiculous, that they have to go through such depths to be able to file a simple freakin claim. And by mentioning such "negativity" it enlightens one about the flaws in the system that need to be changed for the better.

======================

besides, how many people down there do you think have only machines with linux or only a mac with no version of internet explorer at all? seriously.

Exactly, this just adds to the complexity and all the red tape and hurdles that need to be changed.

========================

you can file your claims online using an average pc, like the kind you can find in any public library. im so sick of the negativity regarding this in the news and the media..

The victims of Katrina are homeless and have been relocated from Florida to Texas. Places that many of them haven't even traveled to much less knowing where the "public libraries" are and not to mention trying to get their it its miles away. If this was planned better they could have been relocated to several pre-destignated locations and FEMA could set up a center there. My comments should not be viewed as negativity but as constructive criticism. Katrina should be viewed as a lesson learned of what not to do again and how to improve such responses and reactions to future disasters.

oh boohoo.  im sure you can find a computer somewhere to fill out the request.  not like public computers are scarce these days.

586500520[/snapback]

Oh, what a snappy and genious remark.

People are setting up computers so others in the area can access the internet and have a way to communicate to the rest of the world.

Now, instead of being able to use money to help people, they have to use it to buy Windows XP licenses.

Hooray!