For those who lost loved ones to terrorism

Thought this was a great speech given by Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld. It's shocking how the world has all but forgotten what happened 4 years ago today.

For those who lost loved ones to terrorism

Donald H. Rumsfeld, Secretary of Defense

Published September 11, 2005

We gather here, in this place of remembrance, to reflect on a day when terrorists--extremists--struck at the heart of a free people. A day when Americans lost mothers and fathers, husbands and wives, brothers and sisters and friends and colleagues.

They came from different cultures, different races and different backgrounds.

But what united them all was that they had hopes and dreams that were their own, and they had the right and the opportunity to pursue them.

We struggle to find the words to say to those who have lost loved ones in this war. What one says to another who suffers a heart-wrenching loss can never seem enough. I wish we could say--as with many anniversaries--that this is a time for peaceful remembrance; that we were gathering to commemorate a danger that had long since passed; or even that the attacks of four years ago marked the ending--not one of the early shots of a protracted and difficult conflict.

But we cannot.

The enemy, though weakened and under assault, continues to plot attacks. And the danger they pose to the free world is real and present.

Somewhere among those gathered here today are children who lost a mother or father in those attacks. In a few years, they will reach adulthood.

What might they ask of us?

They will likely want to know why this terrible thing happened. That is difficult to explain. It is hard for free people to comprehend the mix of extremism and fervor that leads terrorists to murder innocents.

But perhaps we can tell them this: Throughout history there have been those who seek power through fear and mass murder. But eventually all of them--everyone--fell under the weight of their fanaticism and the courage and determination of free people.

The children might ask: What did America do to prevail? To keep other children from knowing a dark day when they are told their mothers or fathers were killed in terrorist attacks?

Let us hope that what we tell them will be the truth, that we fought fanaticism and terrorism on every front. That we did not cower, we did not compromise or wait in fear hoping they would not strike again. That we did everything that was required--that was possible--no matter how difficult--or how long.

And that Americans displayed the resolute courage that has defined our country through the generations.

The courage:

- That led the first citizen soldiers to defend their homes at Lexington and Concord.

- That turned companies of strangers into bands of brothers at Normandy and Iwo Jima; and the courage ...

- That pressured the Iron Curtain to collapse and the Berlin Wall to crumble.

... In the dark days of our revolution, George Washington's army had been decimated in New York. A British admiral told three of our founding fathers that the revolutionaries could have peace if only they would reject the Declaration of Independence and give up their rebellion. To many it might have seemed a tempting offer. Prospects for victory seemed bleak. But those patriots refused. Their army rallied. And our country's independence was secured.

That date was Sept. 11, ... 1776. As it happens the place where those patriots refused to surrender is just minutes from the site of the World Trade Center.

Today, a vastly more vicious adversary seeks our surrender. Once again, we will refuse. And once again, our forces have rallied.

Today, history is being written by the valiant men and women of America's armed forces, and by determined citizens who will do all they can to keep other children from experiencing the heartbreak and terror of Sept. 11.

So today let us recommit ourselves to continuing history's great and necessary task. And to continuing to pursue these enemies until they pose no threat to free people.

America did not wish to send soldiers abroad, but we have sent them. We did not ask for violence, but we have answered it. We did not begin this war on terror, but we will win it.

May God bless all of the families and the friends of those who lost their loved ones on Sept. 11 and in the ensuing struggle. You are in our thoughts, and in our prayers. And may God bless the United States of America.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion...ncommentary-hed

Edited by fred666

Thought this was a great speech given by Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld. It's shocking how the world has all but forgotten what happened 4 years ago today.

Are you kidding? I don't think this will ever be forgotten. It will be years before it is pushed into the background. The tsunami has been forgotten more, and it was much more devastating. Especially since September 11th is so often quoted and used by Western politicians. Even the London attacks are yesterday's news.

Are you kidding? I don't think this will ever be forgotten. It will be years before it is pushed into the background. The tsunami has been forgotten more, and it was much more devastating. Especially since September 11th is so often quoted and used by Western politicians. Even the London attacks are yesterday's news.

586511218[/snapback]

Apples and oranges. 9/11 was an act of war. The tsunami was an act of God.

Apples and oranges. 9/11 was an act of war. The tsunami was an act of God.

586511239[/snapback]

Precisely. The act of war makes it so much more memorable, (although one could also factor in media and politician repititiveness) especially since the pictures are so much more devastating and dominated the news more often.

Precisely. The act of war makes it so much more memorable, (although one could also factor in media and politician repititiveness) especially since the pictures are so much more devastating and dominated the news more often.

586511265[/snapback]

So what's your point then? I have barely even heard a mention of 9/11 today. :no:

I have barely even heard a mention of 9/11 today.  :no:

586511664[/snapback]

Obviously. The usual politicoes won't pontificate much about 9/11 now because of their failure regarding Katrina.

So what's your point then? I have barely even heard a mention of 9/11 today.  :no:

586511664[/snapback]

As I said, 'war makes it memorable.' I think there still is plenty of coverage of it, even though it is a past event that hardly heralds it's large legacy.

Yes, Hurricane Katrina is stealing away coverage, but I think that the American public will not let it die away and neither will the world, because it was such an earthshaking and unexpected event that hits so close to home for the Western public.

Ah. Here's someone that remembers 9/11--Kurt S. Wolz, who nearly missed being the co-pilot of Flight 11.

"MY CONNECTION with 9/11 is personal. I am a pilot for American Airlines. In September of 2001, I had AA Flight 11 on my flying schedule. As you may recall, AA Flight 11 was the first airplane hijacked. It subsequently impacted the north tower of the World Trade Center. I lost a friend and fellow pilot, Capt. John Ogonowski, that day. I also knew purser Betty Ong and the rest of the cabin crew. I could have been the copilot who perished that day.

On the four-year anniversary of 9/11, I would like to give you my summation as to what progress our leaders have made in ridding the world of terrorism, and in "bringing to justice" the perpetrators of that horrendous terrorist attack on our homeland. And that is ? no real progress. The world is now a much more dangerous place and Osama bin Laden and al-Qaida are still "alive and well."

All I can say is that I am tired of being lied to by an administration that has zero credibility.

I am hoping that in 2006 Democrats win back control of Congress and open their first session with impeachment proceedings of George W. Bush and Dick Cheney, because the Republicans refuse to do so. Kurt S. Wolz of Bedford is a pilot for American Airlines"i>

Link to full essay:

http://www.theunionleader.com/articles_sho...l?article=60243

9/11 is simply used as a crutch to lean on next time they take away another one of ye olde rights. Why don't we hear about the London attacks anymore? The attacks in Madrid? The tsunami? Maybe it's because America values American lives much more than anyone else? Or just considers itself better than everyone else?

hmmm...throw in some references to freedom, the evils of terrorism, the resolve of the founding fathers and of course God himself...and you'll be hard pressed to find anybody who dares to disagree with you.

However, as somebody on the other side of the world who only experienced 9/11 through the media saturation on my TV screen, it is easy to give no more than a few minutes of thought to the events every anniversary, but I think that's all that's needed from most of us.

May the victims of 9/11 R.I.P