[UK] Brown - he world oil price needs to come down

Source

Chancellor Gordon Brown has called for a "concerted effort" by oil-producing countries to bring down prices - but is not offering to cut taxes on petrol.

Ahead of expected fuel duty protests, Mr Brown told the TUC Opec countries to produce more oil and refine more.

He said it was a "global challenge" which needed "global solutions".

Now trying not to be cynical here but precisely who imposes the huge tax on fuel in the UK? I personally do not drive and as such do not use the fuel but it seems a little strange that the man who set the duty on petrol then says that the oil price needs to drop and is the cause of high prices in this country.

I know that world oil prices are relatively high but seeing as the tax on fuel in this country is some 70%+ and that we have the second highest tax rate in europe surely Mr Brown needs to take a reality check and see that it is his huge tax hikes that are causing the problem in THIS country and NOT the world oil price.....

Source

Now trying not to be cynical here but precisely who imposes the huge tax on fuel in the UK?  I personally do not drive and as such do not use the fuel but it seems a little strange that the man who set the duty on petrol then says that the oil price needs to drop and is the cause of high prices in this country.

I know that world oil prices are relatively high but seeing as the tax on fuel in this country is some 70%+ and that we have the second highest tax rate in europe surely Mr Brown needs to take a reality check and see that it is his huge tax hikes that are causing the problem in THIS country and NOT the world oil price.....

586519778[/snapback]

Given the fact that the tax made from fuel isnt actually put back on the roads I'd say that tax should be 0p on petrol, and they should abolish road tax, unless they actually put it back in. Someone I spoke to who works in the road repair business said the government leave everything until its on the brink of collapse or its lifespan before repairing it, instead of maintaining it regularly. The government should also be offering reduced cost LPG or green equivelant engine conversions to shift Britain off the petrol, but then they'd just stick 70p tax on LPG instead I'm sure. They wont be happy until Britain is entirely dependant on other countries because we cant afford to run our own haulage businesses.

Oil needs to come down, but what he really needs to say is:

we need to find a permanent alternative soon

586519932[/snapback]

They need to invest all the tax made form petrol into subsidising the costs of engine conversions and investing in the technology and equipment needed, but it wont happen until the last drop of petrol is used.

Yeah and it's this threat from these people which is making people panic buy at the petrol stations, leaving many people who need it have to go without.

Yeah the tax needs to go, but there are better ways than that.